Wifi and tablets on board

Topics that are specific to cruising

Topic author
Mariner Mike
Cadet
Cadet

Wifi and tablets on board

Post by Mariner Mike »

I'm just about to but a Kindle Fire after using my trusty laptop for years and a couple of questions occurred. (excuse any of this being down to my lack of technical knowledge).

1. Can I access the forum using this instead of my trusty laptop.
2. To date I have always used the onboard PCs for web access - will I be able to use my Kindle Fire on board and will the access be any quicker/cheaper than the onboard cybastudy access.

Going on Ventura in June so would like to know.

:? :?

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Wifi and tablets on board

Post by HK phooey »

Mike, you can access the internet with a Kindle Fire. I think Ventura has wifi in the public areas and cabins, same as Oceana so you will be able to log on without going to the cyber study. The cost will be the same, but the connection is very slow at sea.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

A Kindle Fire will work the same as any tablet or laptop on board but I am afraid it is no cheaper or quicker as you still need to use the on-board wi-fi connection. The alternative is huddle together with the crew to access the port wi-fi when you dock - or find a cosy bar

Topic author
Mariner Mike
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mariner Mike »

Cosy bar sounds good cubie - with a nice pint or glass of wine :D

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Don't think they do 6X in Barcelona, MM. You will just have to make do with a nice Rioja

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Cubie, most of your answer was just mine copied in different words. I despair!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

If you look at the times, you will see I had already composed it and posted it at virtually the same time as yours. You beat me by seconds and I couldn't be arsed to change it at that stage !

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

I have far more important things to do than check the times on your post you copyright thief.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I have actually used a Kindle Fire on board Aurora so I feel fully qualified to advise. What's your experience in the matter ?

Topic author
Mariner Mike
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mariner Mike »

Are we in the right post for a row or should we adjourn to LOTP for Forum etiquette.. :?:

Denarius
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Denarius »

On iPhones and iPads, and on Android phones and tablets, you can download Wi-Fi finder apps which list public Wi-Fi access points worldwide. Not sure if there are equivalents for Kindle but it might be worth your while investigating.

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

I have a Kindle keyboard and can access my Gmail and the BBC on it for free as long as we are in port and it's getting either a 3G or GPRS signal. Marvellous!

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Mariner Mike wrote:
I'm just about to but a Kindle Fire after using my trusty laptop for years and a couple of questions occurred. (excuse any of this being down to my lack of technical knowledge).

1. Can I access the forum using this instead of my trusty laptop.
2. To date I have always used the onboard PCs for web access - will I be able to use my Kindle Fire on board and will the access be any quicker/cheaper than the onboard cybastudy access.

Going on Ventura in June so would like to know.

:? :?
The answer is yes to both queries (basically you can pretty much do anything on a tablet that you can on a PC ... however assuming we are talking of a 7" tablet then consider the Kindle Fire HD or the Nexus 7 (which is a better tablet. Both are good though.

Another one to consider is the Blackberry Playbook. Assuming your main reasons are for reading books, surfing the web, listening to music, watching videos and writing a few short notes then it is incredible value ... PC World currently has the 64Gb version advertised on the web (not in store) for £99. Excellent value given that it is a high quality device being sold at budget price

Topic author
Mariner Mike
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Mariner Mike »

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I'm just about go shopping for the best deal, and then get ready for Ventura in June.

Happy Sailing

Mike :wave:

Return to “Cruise Specific Discussion”