Foxy's trip to the North Cape

Reports about cruises on Adonia

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Foxy's trip to the North Cape

Post by oldbluefox »

First impressions of Adonia as we drove up to the dock gates were how small she was. After being on many of the ships in the P&O fleet she looked decidedly tiny. There was a hint of what a select little band we were when only half of the checking-in desks at Mayflower were in use. We had a small hiccup at check-in when they couldn't find our boarding cards but this was soon resolved and we boarded.
One of the things you soon get used to on Adonia is the speed in getting from one part to another. She is really compact but her public rooms are spacious, and of course there are not so many passengers. Consequently it is quite relaxed and friendly and the decor has the ambiance of a country house hotel.
Our inside cabin for which we paid a King's ransom was quite spacious, the extra space coming as the bathroom is more compact thus giving more space in the bedroom part. The shower gives out a good spray of water, much better than the relative sprinkle on Ventura. There seemed to be plenty of drawer and cupboard space and ample wardrobe space, although I suppose it depends how much luggage you are bringing. We found it better than other ships in the fleet we had been on. We also discovered two electrical sockets, one the right way up and the other upside down, which was a brilliant idea as it took those plugs which we would not normally be able to use without resorting to an extension lead. Could we have that arrangement on all ships, P&O? Our steward came to say hello, much younger than others we have had and reminded us of the young man in Marigold Hotel.
Sailaway from Southampton was a damp squib in more ways than one - cold, drizzly and miserable. However as we got further out to sea the weather improved and it was a very pleasant evening.
We went along to the Welcome Aboard show where the highlight was the flautist Clare Langan. Whilst I confess to being a bit of a heathen when it comes to classical music she played a lovely selection and is clearly a very talented musician. More than can be said about her dress which consisted of a multicolored shiny panel front and back joined by black gauzy panels down the sides. A black shift preserved modesty but left one wondering whether the black lacy bits were the tops of her tights or the bottom of her under apparel! Clearly a lady of mystery but a brilliant flautist.
One of the joys of an inside cabin is that you are not aware whether it is day or night which explains why it was 8.40 by the time we woke up. We went up to the Conservatory for breakfast which was really quite a civilised affair compared to the larger ships. Hence my training in pushing and shoving was wasted and we sat down to the luxury of a cooked breakfast. After weeks of dieting this was sheer bliss. Have you ever seen a horse when it is let out of the stable after a long time inside? The whole idea of fried egg, bacon, fried bread etc was just wonderful especially when it was finished off with a danish pastry and a couple of fresh waffles.
The great excitement of the day, which almost eclipsed the treacle sponge and custard I had at lunchtime was the siting of a whale somewhere in the North Sea east of Leeds! We were sat in Crows Nest when Mrs Bluefox mentioned a huge splash. At first it looked like a coming together of two waves but then a whale, about 15 to 20 foot long appeared and then leapt entirely out of the water. What a wonderful sight!
The fine weather continued although we were told to expect strong winds and rocky seas later on.

Disaster then befell me. I discovered that the plug and USB arrangement I had brought with me would not charge my Blackberry so from hereon notes were made in my Sudoku book for writing up later.

First stop was Olden, a delightful little village which had had some building work done since our last visit. There are now a few more shops, just as expensive as ever and some land has been reclaimed. We headed for the old church which is just delightful for its simplicity and rustic beauty. We did the excursion to Stryn which we thoroughly enjoyed. It gave us the opportunity of venturing into another arm of the fjord. Interesting that as we rode through Stryn the place, at 9.45 was virtually deserted but apparently as it was Saturday everybody likes a lie in and the shops don't open until 10.00. It seemed quite a lively shopping centre and was certainly much busier when we returned. We made a visit to a Visitor Centre which gave an insight into life in the fjord and a graphic illustration of the effects of a tsunami which occurred when part of the fjord broke away, swamping the village and causing untold death and damage. We were then taken further up the mountain, through alpine meadows, up a snaking road with plenty of sheer drops to a hotel where we enjoyed coffee and pancakes smothered in red berry jam and sour cream (well mine was!! Oink! Oink!) We then returned to the ship ready for sail away which was spoilt by drizzle. However the sun came out and we were able to enjoy this 60 mile long fjord in all its splendour.

Next stop was Trondheim which is quite a large town. The shuttle bus dropped us off by the cathedral but as it was a Sunday all the shops were shut and it was rather quiet. However it was also a special day in the Norwegian calendar which meant that many people had come into town for a church service in the cathedral and were wearing national dress. Both men and women looked absolutely stunning. After the service they seemed to be going off in all directions, often with containers holding cakes and biscuits, for a celebratory get together. We were blessed with good weather so it was pleasant walking around the cathedral with its very impressive facade and on to the Bishop's Palace. We walked over the old bridge and stood for a while watching children going up the hill using the cycle lift. For anybody who hasn't seen it the cyclist waits by the machine with his foot against a kind of shoe at the side of the road which engages with a continuous loop and pushes him up the hill.

We now had a couple of days sailing up the Norwegian coast to the North Cape and the views of jagged snow-capped peaks on the starboard side of the ship as we passed the Lofoten Islands and the Norwegian coast were really quite stunning although there was an air of forboding about their dark shapes. However the skies were clear, the day was fine although it was noticeably colder.

The day was spoilt with the news that Manoverboard's mob had knocked us out of the playoffs after scoring a jammy goal in the last minute. The situation was exacerbated by the fact that somebody had distracted our French wonderkid who had his penalty saved. I was gutted!!

After one night when the ship rocked about a bit there were one or two absentees in breakfast but maybe our arrival in Honningsvag would get them up and about. It was much larger than I had expected but essentially was a fishing town set amidst snow capped peaks. Thanks to the Germans who burnt every building down in 1940 (apart from the church) the architecture was relatively modern. It had one main street with shops on either side but not really a great deal to buy. There was a very well stocked tourist shop with obligatory troll outside and the statue of a St Bernard dog called Bamse outside. Bamse became the mascot of the Norwegian Forces during the Second World War and was buried in Montrose, where he died, with full military honours. More can be read about him here:

Bamse

For anybody going to the North Cape the tourist shop in Honningsvag accepts pounds and Euros.

There was also an Ice Bar in the town, constructed inside from ice cut from the frozen winter lake, and a small museum. At NK140 each we decided to give the ice bar a miss. Most people were heading off on the North Cape excursion but we decided on the Mageroya Panorama excursion which was very good. We visited a couple of small fishing villages which were literally a huddle of houses and a fishing harbour. It seemed there was an abundance of cod which were filleted and then dried on drying racks or on the rafters of the house verandahs. They felt like wood to the touch and certainly sounded quite unappetising. The reindeer had been returned after over-wintering in Lapland and were now feeding on the bare patches of ground where the snow had disappeared. It was a bleak, and barren treeless landscape and whilst the temperature was an impressive 4 degrees the wind chill made it feel much colder. From our coach we could see the North Cape visitor centre and monument from our coach. In Skarswag we did visit a very lovely, and very homely Christmas shop and later on we called into an Art gallery where the prints and pictures were very reasonably priced but gave a very modern interpretation of the North Cape.

And so we left Honningsvag and at midnight we cruised past the North Cape in the semi darkness of the midnight sun.

If anybody is going this way at any time take plenty of warm layers and hat and gloves. It is very beautiful for its remoteness and bleakness but you would have to adopt an entirely different lifestyle to live there. I enjoyed seeing it but could not live there.

And so onto Bodo. Again it was just a small town, much busier than Honningsvag but again rather modern thanks to events of the Second World War. It had a picturesque setting with mountains in the background and a very busy harbour frequented by ships of varying sizes. The modern cathedral was well worth a visit with a magnificent stained glass window above the altar. It had a modern shopping centre but really there was not much else to see but as it was such a nice day we returned to Adonia and had a relaxing afternoon onboard.

Stavanger was our final stop and a real favourite of mine, which I never tire of seeing. It has a calm, relaxed air about it from the moment you step ashore until the moment you leave. We took time wandering through the old town with its 18th and 19th century whitewashed clapperboard houses and carefully tended gardens. There is literally a small surprise around every corner evoking memories of years gone by. We wandered its cobbled streets towards the lake and its fountain. There was a small market but what really took my eye was a mini attached to the side of a building. A novel way to park maybe? As we were leaving at 12.30 we made our way down to the quayside where families were strolling with their children and enjoying the warmth of the sun.

And so we left Stavanger and Norway. That night I had one of the best Beef Wellingtons ever. Whilst the food has been excellent throughout this trip the chefs had really excelled themselves on this occasion. And on our last night I had the pot roast venison which was equally as good.

Adonia is a lovely ship for a quiet, relaxing holiday. Being much smaller you don't get the range of entertainment and activities you get on the larger ships. There is no dedicated lecture room or cinema and the Curzon is a show lounge rather than a theatre so, being on the flat, unless you are on the front three rows you don't see a great deal. The Adonia Theatre Company comprising three men and two young ladies were excellent throughout with good vocals, lovely harmonies and spectacular routines although I did miss the more extended dancing of a larger group. However Mrs Bluefox went to an afternoon performance of 'Private Lives' which she said was excellent and further displayed the talents of this team. Anderson's, the library and Crow's Nest were havens of peace for those wishing to read or watch the world go by. The cabin steward, dining room waiters and bar staff were wonderful, just as we have come to expect and nothing was too much trouble. This was my first time on Adonia and I would be happy to go on her again, especially with the prospect of visiting ports which the larger ships cannot enter. As for the North Cape I am pleased I have been. It was an unforgettable experience with some breathtaking scenery but it's a one off.

Thank you to anybody for reading this far. Hope it's of some help to anybody contemplating this cruise.

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Foxy's trip to the North Cape

Post by Andrea S »

I have so enjoyed reading your report. We have never considered the smaller ships but itinerary is always top of our list. Thank you.

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Brilliant report and nice to read about Olden and Stavanger as we are stopping there in July on our Fjords cruise... Glad you enjoyed it and good to have you back :) :clap:
Jenni

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Great review Foxy and welcome back :D :D
Jo

RB1961
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by RB1961 »

Nice report Foxy sounds like you had a good time.
We quite fancy a trip on Adonia...maybe next year.
How were the roads around southampton for the trip down. I missed the turn for the A33 :) so had to head for the roadworks but as luck would have it we sailed through..

RB

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Lovely to have you back Foxy - missed you - great report :thumbup: - quite fancy a trip on Adonia now after reading of your experiences on her :wave:
Janis

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Brilliant report OBF.

On the charger front a lot of people do not realise that there are a couple of different kinds of charger and most tablets require the higher charger since they can drain the charge faster than a standard 500ma charger can deliver it (hence why some tablets can not be charged from a PC) ... however if you leave it plugged in over night it should still take some charge.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great report OBF.

We enjoyed our cruises on the 'Little Ship' so much that we have booked a B2B next year.

We are looking at a North cape cruise in August on Oriana so it was very interesting reading your views on the ports.

Sue

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

Thank you - that was a very enjoyable read

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A great report Foxy, well worth reading :thumbup:

Have to say that I am pleased, indeed a tad relieved, to note that you both enjoyed our favourite little ship. We also think the food is particularly good on Adonia, less portions to prepare perhaps, did you try either of the select dining venues ?

Welcome back, it has been very quiet without you ... there's nothing of note to report.

ps ... I especially enjoyed the part where we stuffed you in the play-offs :lol:

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thankfully it seemed the roadworks on the M271 were clear so we sailed through with no problem.

We did go to Sorrento one night and the food and service were excellent. We didn't make the Grill room but one of our party opted for a steak from there (in Sorrento) and it looked absolutely wonderful. In contrast the sirloin steaks in the MDR varied. Some were excellent, some were not so good.

Thanks for your welcome home messages. Nice to be back.

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Foxy, you're back!I've been worried sick about you after the Watford match :D Right, off to read your report.

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Great report Foxy, and an itinerary that I would love to do. You are a little porker though aren't you? :D This is the first time I've heard of a play being performed aboard one of the P & O ships, is it just Adonia that does this?

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

HK, pleased you enjoyed the read. I didn't mention the jam roly poly or the cloughty (?) dumplings, or the rhubarb and ginger crumbles, or the beer battered cod from the Lido Grill. Portions for men were quite small (a nice piece of chunky, white battered cod, half a dozen chips and two teaspoons of mushy peas in a waxed paper cup) so you either had to order double portions or top up with a curry from the Conservatory, that is unless it was jam roly poly day!!!

One of the nice things about Adonia is the friendliness of (most) people onboard, much akin to Artemis, and the lack of a scrum in the Conservatory. It did seem much more civilised. The only problem in the Conservatory is the ship is so relaxed people sit on after eating breakfast or lunch chatting to whoever is sat with them so it can be a problem finding somewhere to sit. We usually went away for half an hour and then went back and there were plenty of places. Of course in warmer climes you can sit outside but it was a bit too draughty for that.

Doing a trip such as this makes you realise just how much you have in your own town. Norwegian eBay must do a roaring trade.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

HK phooey wrote:
Great report Foxy, and an itinerary that I would love to do. You are a little porker though aren't you? :D This is the first time I've heard of a play being performed aboard one of the P & O ships, is it just Adonia that does this?
Helen I remember posting this on the old forum, on one of our Xmas cruises ( can't remember if it was Aurora or Oriana ) they brought several actors on to perform plays, the only name I can recall is Richard Briers but they were all pretty well known, I've never seen it since so assume it didn't go down that well, maybe they are re-trying it.
Jo

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Great report Foxy, though from hence forward you will, in my mind be known as Oldbluepig..oink oink :lol:

Glad you enjoyed both the ship and the itinerary.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your report, it sounds fantastic !
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Just to add ...

Adonia has been doing ' Plays like wot I wrote ' since her arrival to the fleet, well certainly since December 2011.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Ah so that's where you've been. I thought you were another who'd gone AWOL :D Very enjoyable report. A cruise to the fjords is on our wish list :wave:

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

What a good report. Many thanks I enjoyed reading all about Adonia. We sailed on her when she was Royal P, and your remarks about the buffet were just right....... It was so much more comfortable than the larger ships' buffet restaurants. No queueing or pushing, very civilised, and the outside seating was lovely too.

Glad you enjoyed Adonia.
Jay

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Thank you for such a lovely report. Adonia has always interested us. Hopefully we'll be able to go on her one day.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

Just found your review which I throughly enjoyed reading. I am looking forward to our cruise on Adonia.

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Yes many thanks OBF. We are thinking of a Kiel Canal cruise in Adonia next year, and so we read this with interest. We did Honningsvag on Artemis a few years ago, if like us you are not a sun worshipper those sort of cruises can be a very refreshing break. I'll send you a PM in a few days time.

blodwyn
Cadet
Cadet

Post by blodwyn »

Loved your review.We have taken the plunge and booked Adonia's Amazon Cruise in January 2015.
Her size will suit us as we had wonderful cruises on Victoria(Sea Princess) and Artemis.
Only drawback is no casino!

Return to “Adonia Cruise Reports”