Ko Samui, Thailand

Cruising destinations in Asia

Topic author
woodlander
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Ko Samui, Thailand

Post by woodlander »

We have booked a trip to Thailand to Vietnam with Azamara in Feb. (Sorry P & O on Adonia's Asia Trip next year the segments are too long for us with work etc.) Never been to this part of the world before (very exciting) and one of our stops is Ko Samui.
Looking at the excursions there is one trip which looks very interesting a visit to rubber plantation but this also includes an elephant ride and then "learning about the the elephant skills through a show organised for us".
Just wondering if anyone has been on a trip like this - what was it like?

As I grow older (!!) I find myself becoming less tolerant of animals "performing". I would be fascinated to learn about rubber production but not so keen on elephants performing tricks for us mere tourists. (There is a photo on the Azamara web site of an elephant standing on its hind legs with coloured rings around its trunk) There doesn't seem to be a great deal of dignity in that for these wonderful creatures.
Any comments would be most appreciated.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Ko Samui, Thailand

Post by Manoverboard »

With P&O we did ...

Colours of Koh Samui

Discover some of Koh Samui’s fascinating temples and visit a traditional local coconut plantation to see trained monkeys at work.

Situated on Fan Island, the Temple of the Big Buddha has become a major meditation centre for local residents and foreign visitors alike. The Temple’s centrepiece is an impressive 39 foot tall golden Buddha erected in 1792.

Wat Plai Laem is one of the most colourful temples on Koh Samui and features an 18-armed Goddess of Mercy statue set in the middle of a lake, in which hundreds of fish are waiting to be fed.

Before returning to the ship, continue to a local coconut plantation and learn how coconuts are harvested. Here, you’ll witness a demonstration of the monkeys scaling coconut palms to pluck the ripe nuts for their handlers.

We enjoyed it very much, monkeys n all :thumbup: but the place to see Thai elephants is, I am advised by a Thai National, on the mainland during a land based tour.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
woodlander
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by woodlander »

Thanks for that Manoverboard,
The monkeys climbing the trees for coconuts are also included on this trip and I don't have concerns about this as this is part of a monkeys' usual behaviour (climbing trees to get food).
Noted your comments about seeing Elephants on the mainland. Will consider further and talk to OH.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

No problem but should have added that the Thai elephants I was thinking of are near Chiang Mai in the North and that's well out of your reach unless you are starting at Bangkok and wish to spend pre days in that area. There's tons to do in Bangkok however.

The monkeys get food as a reward for collecting the nuts and do seem to be well cared for.

Try the freshly roasted desicated coconut if you get a chance ... yummy.

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Return to “Asia”