A315 - Fjords

Reports about cruises on Azura

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

A315 - Fjords

Post by JenniC »

EMBARKATION DAY -1
Just finished the majority of the packing, in time for an afternoon of Wimbledon! More suitcases for this one than my 14 days in Caribbean earlier this year as had to pack for all weather types, thank goodness we can cruise from Southampton so no luggage restrictions. Stepfather on his way down from Wales and then 10 of us out to dinner tonight for his birthday. Six of us are then leaving home at 11am tomorrow for the 1 hour drive down the M3/M27 to the Ocean Terminal and the wonderful Azura.. As always I will have to fight back that lump in my throat when I drive along West Quay Road and see the ships at their berths. First job on board, book Sindhu, second book GlassHouse, third up to Breakers for a glass of champagne and what is always a magical moment, waving goodbye to Southampton.

We have four ports, so hoping to get some Internet access hot spots to post reports, but if not I will write them up anyway and post when I get back.

Behave all :moresarcasm:
Jenni

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Re: A315 - Fjords

Post by JenniC »

Day 1 Friday June 28th – Embarkation
Left home at 11am for a nice drive down to Southampton and the Ocean Terminal where Azura awaits us. Stone hit windscreen on M3 and cracked it completely, so something to sort out when I get home. Took us just over an hour to get there, waited 15 minutes to park car, walked into terminal, collected embarkation card and before we could complete the health questionnaire we were called to board and were standing in the atrium by 13:15. Went up to deck 7 and booked Sindhu for Monday 1st July and then up to Breakers for a drink and a spot of lunch. Azura looked in fine fettle and I am sure they had done quite a bit or maintenance as all areas were clean and looked shiny and new. Cabins were ready dead on 2pm and as we got out of the lift we spotted all our cases so took them to the cabin ourselves. Everything was packed on hangers so it was just a case of lifting the clothes out of the case and into the wardrobe. Our cabin, a NA inside on B Deck midships was as normal, plenty of room for everything and conveniently situated for the lifts, stairs etc. Our cabin steward, Damas, popped in and introduced himself, and proved to be one of the less visible stewards we had had, but efficient nevertheless. By 3:30pm we were back on deck, meeting the family again and then off to Malabar for a 4pm drill, once over we went back up on deck and were surprised to see that we had slipped our lines and were heading out along Southampton water on a warm, if not overcast June day. So as we glided along sipping champagne I looked forward to the days ahead. Dinner that night was in the Meridian, as we were Freedom dining (just for the record we only waited on two occasions for a table and both were no more than 20 mins). The meal was excellent, best we had had on Azura and this proved to be the case throughout the cruise, so much so that I personally asked the Maître D to pass on our compliments to the kitchens. After dinner we went to Brodies and joined in the quiz, we came joint first, but lost on the tie break – how many dimples are there on a golf ball??????? Answer will follow in a couple of days. Then off to the Planet Bar for what became our place for a nightcap before retiring to bed.

Day 2 Saturday 29th June – At Sea
Not the best of weather, but not raining either and sea conditions were fine. Had a buffet breakfast, but decided that for the remainder of the cruise we would eat in the Peninsular as it was a bit manic. We all went to the gym, and then spent the day browsing, reading and generally relaxing. Watched Les Miserables again, cried again. Tonight was a formal night and to be honest, I was disappointed at some of the passenger’s interpretation of formal and it was more the women who seemed to opt for a normal long maxi dresses and some even wore flip flops!! I am not a cruise purist – BUT!! Anyway did not stop our group from looking the dogs “n**s” IMO. We did the quiz again (did not win) and then back up to Planets for the normal nightcap. Got to bed at around 12:30 only to be woken by the Captain at 03:30, what a scare that gives you, when you hear the announcement start with, “this is your Captain” and realise it is during the night. Anyway we had had to detour for a medical evac, by helicopter, the Captain asked people not to go on balconies for H&S reasons and true to course some paxs took no notice at all and twice more we were woken up as the Captain pleaded with them (and I mean “please, please do not”) to go inside – erghhhh. Found out later that a lady had broken here leg and needed an immediate emergency operation.

Day 3 Sunday 30th June – Bergen
Due to the med evac we were 2.5 hours late in Bergen, but were given an extra hour at the end of the day which I personally thought was a good gesture. Decided to do the Mt. Floen funicular as it was a bright sunny day so knew the view would be amazing. It was stunning with wonderful views over Bergen and down to Azura as well as a Mexican Navy sailing ship with all her masts and flags waving in the warm breeze. We enjoyed a lovely walk and then decided not to take the railway back down, but to walk instead. OK so it was downhill, but it plays havoc with your calves, but it was enjoyable nevertheless. Back on board by mid-afternoon we agreed it was a good day to do Verona, as both my SIL and grandson wanted to try the steak on a lava rock – it did not disappoint! Decided not to do the quiz tonight, so went up to Planet Bar and after the broken sleep the night before we were all tired, so a relatively early night followed.

Day 4 Monday 1st July - Andalsnes
The early night was a waste of time as we got woken up by my daughter ringing us to say she was waiting at the Peninsular for breakfast, it was 08:35, so despite good intentions we missed the sail in to port and almost missed breakfast. Anyway made it down and then got off the ship still not knowing what to do. If there was one port we should have booked a P&O tour it was this one as really not much to do. Still we made the best of it, got a map and did a nice, pleasant 6km walk – not the best of places though IMO. If I went there again I would definitely do the Rauma railway trip – but a nice day none the less. This evening we went to Sindhu – OMG this place is amazing and the Spiced Chocolate Pudding is to die for – finished the lot. All of us enjoyed it, but none more so than Liam, my grandson who reckons the meal was as good as the one he had at Benares for his birthday in January. It was a late finish so it was a drink in Brodies and then Planet bar again. By now you may see a bit of a theme going on here – we were not impressed by the entertainment on this cruise, but that was our opinion and others may have enjoyed it – so we did not bother with the singers etc…. and I have seen all of the shows. Roy Walker was doing two shows in the Playhouse, but he drives me mad in Catchphrase so had no desire to see him. Tomorrow was Olden and wanted to be up early so off to bed….

Day 5 Tuesday 2nd July – Olden – and Romig if you read this you are in BIG trouble!!!
We were on deck at 7am and was it worth it – you bet! This was stunning beyond belief. In the morning Steve and I went off on our own and did the land train, which was a great little taster of what was to come later in the day, because as a result of Romig's description of the walk to the Briksdal Glacier – being “a gentle walk” we booked the tour.. he lied :twisted: it was up hill most of the way, with a few gentler inclines, maybe an easy stroll at Romig and Wina’s young(er) age, but at 62 I was on my knees half way up and even managed to take a tumble at the waterfall ending up with a large purple bruise on my right upper arm and back – looked great later on in the evening dress I had bought with me for the B&W night! That said it was 100% worth the climb so thank you both :P for not putting us off – we so enjoyed it and the sense of achievement was well worth it. The walk down was easier, but as with Bergen, tough on the calves. The scenery was outstanding. The sail away was amazing with classical music, Champagne and Crème de Cassis cocktails and a fjord that looked like glass – life does not get any more serene. Tonight was the B&W night and on the whole pretty much adhered too. Dinner, as with all nights was excellent and we enjoyed the normal after dinner drinks and quiz – still did not win though. Karaoke tonight, but no one even met the exacting standards set by the MM on the GE last year. :lol:

Day 6 Wednesday 3rd July – Stavanger
This was a pleasant surprise to us, not only we were berthed alongside the QE, but Stavanger itself is a pretty town, with some interesting walks. It was cold though and raining so we decided at the last minute to book out own trip along Lysefjord to Pulpit Rock, so coats, cagoules and umbrellas in hand we boarded the Cat. OMG it was freezing and so very windy, but in a way it added to the attraction of some very different and dramatic scenery.. OK so Pulpit rock was something and nothing and the waterfall after the one in Olden was OK, but it was a case of been there and done it and as I said the weather added to the overall effect. Back at 4pm for the Great British sail way, we were disappointed to find that the Ents team cancelled it due to the weather which was a bit premature in my mind as the rain eased by 5pm, instead they were to have a GB party at 2pm next day when were at sea!! So we went into Brodies to watch the Murray ¼ final, then dinner, a nice walk around the ship, and then Becky (my daughter) and SIL went up on deck with two jumpers each, coats, towels and two blankets each and wrapped up like Mummies we watch Skyfall. Steve, Liam and stepfather went to the race night and did not pick a winner – losers!!

Day 6 Thursday 4th July – At Sea
Seems it was a very foggy night and the horns had sounded very two minutes – one of the perks of an inside cabin is that you don’t hear them so a sound night’s sleep for us. Fortunately, the weather was kind to us as we sailed back towards Southampton and the sea was relatively calm, so we spent the day on deck. Being 4th July, the quiz that night was an American themed one and we came second by one point - beaten by an American / Canadian joint venture team! Not bad eh. And we named all the US states to boot :clap:

Day 7 Friday 5th July – Southampton
Greeted by a wonderful warm day we were off the ship by 10am and back home by 11:40am. Sad to leave Azura but with memories of a wonderful cruise.

In line with Sue’s (Kersh) report, we too could not fault Azura apart from the Ents team where we felt something was lacking… The food was the best we had had for a long time and overall what a wonderful place to spend a week. Being sun worshippers I was worried about this one, but it was so different and we were prepared for that and it was so enjoyable and I am glad we did it. Will we do it again? definately, in a couple of years once I have had my sun fix again.

So back to work tomorrow, hope you have all behaved and I am glad to see that Derek (MM) has registered whilst I was away - should add some interesting banter to the site. Bye all :wave:
Jenni

Holiday Planner
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Holiday Planner »

I enjoyed reading your report, Jenni. It brought back happy memories of our Fjords trip on Azura. It sounds as though you had the opposite weather in Bergen & Stavanger from us. We got sunburnt in Stavanger, but rained on in Bergen. I'm still toying with whether to book RCI cruise to Iceland & Fjords on 1st Sepember, but these last few sunny days make me yearn for a sunny holiday (hoping that one of P&O's 1st Sepember cruises drops in price!).
Of course, this time last year we were enjoying scorching hot weather on board Venura together :wave:
Angela

hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

I'll second what Jenni says about the 'gentle walk' to the glacier. They said 45 minutes to walk and some of it uphill. We're only 50ish (well ok I'm 51 and him indoors is 49) so I thought, nah that's for the older ones it won't take us that long - it did and the uphill 'in places' means 90% of the time. Wasn't any quicker coming down as you had to watch your step downhill.

Still, I would do it again. It was a lovely day and well worth it, there was a rainbow coming off the waterfall on the way down - fabulous! I just think people should be aware that it really is for the fit. Don't know where he got it from but my husband thought it was a 'leisurely stroll'- he got a shock, I at least knew it wasn't that.

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

As I said though.. Well worth it and such a beautiful place... Loved very minute of it....
Jenni

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Enjoyed your report Jenni. Just3 weeks off our North Cape Cruise on Oriana and many of the ports you have visited. Like you I prefer hot weather cruises so a bit anxious about this cruise.

Cruising with friends so will have a great time whatever the weather throws at us.
Just dint know what to pack for day wear. I guess jeans t shirts and fleeces will do the job so that layers can be peeled off.

Sue

Topic author
JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

We layered and we peeled off and then back on again .. So good call.. Have a good one Sue xx
Jenni

hdean61
Cadet
Cadet

Post by hdean61 »

On the way to the glacier I started off wearing a t shirt, over-shirt and raincoat as it was very cloudy. Our guide assured us that the sun would appear (he admitted later that he was winging it). But he was right, by the time we reached the top the weather was lovely and I was just in my t shirt - oh and jeans I hasten to add :). But it could quite easily have gone the other way do yes, layers are the way to go.

Just been reading again and re Sindhu - we had to try because of all the good comments and my goodness it was so lovely we went twice. Didn't try the chocolate cake but had Lavender scented yoghurt cake and I think it may be the nicest dessert I have ever had - really really nice. And Bhuna Ghosh - absolutely wonderful.

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”