Shareholder benefits

Questions from those who are new to cruising

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Re: Shareholder benefits

Post by Kendhni »

Some interesting activity going on at Carnival in relation to shares at the minute. It is a bit beyond me what they are doing or why but looks like they are trying to raise a bit of spare capital ... see here. It has certainly been pushing the share price downwards.

Dodgy captains, high profile ship failures, new ships in the pipeline ... all require money

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

CaroleF wrote:
I emailed proof our our Carnival shares to Karen Hawkins a couple of days ago and had a very prompt reply saying she had granted the OBC and that in future we should send proof by fax or post. We don't hold a Share Certificate either it's a form which shows our holding in Carnival from our brokers. We just have to get dated proof of owning the shares.

Carole
We got the same message but after cghecking with Karen she confirmed that e-mail attachments are still OK, but we should ensure that account numbers and any other other share data is deleted. Basically she only needs Broker name, shareholder name, date and number of Carnival shares held.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Ken,

Yes, I noticed that too - but it's the nature of the best, not so?

Em :)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I applied for my shareholder's OBC by email at 12.19 today and received a reply saying it had been applied at 12.44. All I sent was my name and booking details and hey presto.

Brilliant service, thank you Karen Hawkins and Co.

Flora8
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Flora8 »

oldbluefox wrote:
I applied for my shareholder's OBC by email at 12.19 today and received a reply saying it had been applied at 12.44. All I sent was my name and booking details and hey presto.

Brilliant service, thank you Karen Hawkins and Co.

This is the service I have been lucky enough --to receive from Karen and Co--I wish everyone in P&O head office were as good !!

Regards Flora x

Alan Janice White
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Alan Janice White »

At the risk of getting her promoted out of the job she does incredibly well, may I say that Karen Hawkins is incredibly helpful and efficient. Her manner is always positive and she cannot do enough to help you.

Well done Karen.

Alan

Flora8
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Flora8 »

I agree 100 % she is P& O'ssecret weapon. Flora x

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

Just a quick question, if i bought shares now would the obc take effect straight away or do you have to have them for a gualifying period. :?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

As far as I know there is no qualifying period. Once you get your share certificate just let Karen Hawkins know. Of course she will want proof of ownership.

Cardinal3
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Cardinal3 »

I think the reason P+O can make quick decisions where shareholders have certificates is that the shareholder is listed in the register of shareholders and it will only take a minute to check.

Where people have online dealing accounts the name on the register of members is of the nominee company and P+O need the nominee to inform them whether the person applying for benefit is a shareholder.

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Cardinal3 wrote:
Where people have online dealing accounts the name on the register of members is of the nominee company and P+O need the nominee to inform them whether the person applying for benefit is a shareholder.
Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't know :D

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Cardinal3 wrote:
This has not been my experience.

I hold shares in a nominee account and just take a screen shot of my holding, showing the current date and email it to Karen. I normally get awarded the share holder OBC within a few minutes.
Gill

stocktonmackem
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by stocktonmackem »

oldbluefox wrote:
As far as I know there is no qualifying period. Once you get your share certificate just let Karen Hawkins know. Of course she will want proof of ownership.
Thanks,might have to persuade hubby its a good idea to buy some. Of course i will need to book more cruises to make it worthwhile. ;)

Mad4cruising
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Mad4cruising »

We have recently bought our shares, luckily we have two cruises coming up and even though they the share price has dropped a bit, we have gained it back on OBC. I think if you like the P&O brand (and we hope the Cunard too!) and intend to continue cruising with them for some time it is worth buying some.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

stocktonmackem wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
Thanks,might have to persuade hubby its a good idea to buy some. Of course i will need to book more cruises to make it worthwhile. ;)
At the moment even if you only take one 14 night cruise a year you are getting about 5% interest tax free plus a dividend from time to time. It's a better rate than having it in the bank. AND........... the more you cruise the more times you will get the OBC!! :clap:

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

oldbluefox wrote:
stocktonmackem wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
At the moment even if you only take one 14 night cruise a year you are getting about 5% interest tax free plus a dividend from time to time. It's a better rate than having it in the bank. AND........... the more you cruise the more times you will get the OBC!! :clap:

Our 4 cruises next year will bring in £420 with about £60 in divi. That's going on for 20% on our investment. Now if all our money brought in 20% :) :lol: 8-)

Gan Canny

Dai

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

On the debit side Weight Watchers absorb much of your profit though!! Otherwise you end up with a wardrobe full of clothes which don't fit!! :wave:

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

oldbluefox wrote:
On the debit side Weight Watchers absorb much of your profit though!! Otherwise you end up with a wardrobe full of clothes which don't fit!! :wave:

Well that would happen only we now miss many meals, mostly lunch, allow ourselves one visit to afternoon tea and never eat afters at dinner time. But like many others I have first week and second week clothes :)

Fan Canny

Dai

JanattheNuthouse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by JanattheNuthouse »

Please clarify for an uninitiated person - me!! I've considered buying shares for quite some time, but haven't a clue how to go about it. I've read the posts on this thread, which have given me more info - thanks.

If I purchase shares, do they cover all the Carnival brands, or just one? We have 2 upcoming cruises with P & O for 2013 but I haven't yet decided whether to stay with P & O for 2014, as they are not offering the cruise itinerary we wanted. We may go with Princess for one cruise, which does. Does the Share ownership give the same "perks" of OBC on Princess, as well?

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Jan, I'm a relative novice when it comes to shares so I just went into my local bank and asked them how to go about it and they advised me and sorted them out for me.

As for which brands are covered, shareholder benefit applies right across the Carnival group. More information here:

Carnival Shareholder benefit

JanattheNuthouse
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by JanattheNuthouse »

Many thanks Old Blue Fox.... I'll take your advice.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

By the way.................... welcome!! :wave:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Question for all you experts, if you have OBC which just covers your gratuity charge, and you have no other spending charges, would the OBC be used to defray the gratuities?
The reason I ask is that on my cruise just finished today, the gratuities were not shown on my account until I had spending which exceded the total OBC amount, then the gratuities were applied, but no peninsular discount was given against these charges, and only then did the peninsular discount start. The result is that you need to deduct the total OBC amount plus the gratuity charge from your spending before peninsular discount kicks in.
John

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

towny, my understanding is that since gratuities are now charged against your onboard account, OBC will effectively offset those gratuities. Therefore Peninsula discounts should kick in a lot sooner.

I'm no expert on the matter but that seemed to be the situation on the last cruise I took.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

oldbluefox wrote:
towny, my understanding is that since gratuities are now charged against your onboard account, OBC will effectively offset those gratuities. Therefore Peninsula discounts should kick in a lot sooner.

I'm no expert on the matter but that seemed to be the situation on the last cruise I took.
I would check carefully next time you cruise because my experience was exactly the opposite.
John

Return to “New to Cruising”