Over subscribed children's clubs

Topics relating to cruising with children

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Over subscribed children's clubs

Post by Jan Rosser »

My son has received an email from P&O stating that the clubs are going to be very busy and may not be able to accommodate all the children. He's quite laid back about it - my granddaughters used it last time we were on board but not that much but the Ventura is advertised as best for children and surely there should be a limit on numbers so that all the children have the opportunity to use the facilities.

I'm probably being a bit sensitive about this but I am annoyed that he has been sent this at such short notice and that club facilities will be on the basis of first come first served - quite ridiculous in school holidays.

Oh well I can see long queues to register the children and a few irate passengers if their little darlings are refused admission :shock:

As you can appreciate I wouldn't be on this cruise if I wasn't travelling with the family - school holidays would not be my choice but my son and his wife are both teachers so don't have a choice.
Janis

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Over subscribed children's clubs

Post by david63 »

Is it all of the children's clubs or just certain age groups?

I can see the dilemma that P&O must have in that whilst the can control the total number of children they have no control over the ages of those children.

At least you are forewarned.

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Don't know whether it's certain age groups or across the board but as I said previously the girls didn't spend that much time there - they liked the shows and being older they can stay up later with us - whatever happens I'm sure we'll all have a great time.

Two sleeps to go - almost finished packing and ready to go. :thumbup:
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Have a wonderful time with the family, Jan.
Gill

sumdumbloke
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by sumdumbloke »

david63 wrote:
Is it all of the children's clubs or just certain age groups?

I can see the dilemma that P&O must have in that whilst the can control the total number of children they have no control over the ages of those children.

At least you are forewarned.

They do in fact control the number of children in age groups.

We couldn't book Ventura last year in school holidays because the 'quota' for 9-13 year olds was already reached, and the previous year it was the younger age group.

The irony for us is our children don't use the clubs, but it's been used by P&O in the past as another reason why families must book early (and cannot access getaway fares) so to then find that it was now down to a free for all once on board, I would not be happy.

They seem to be alienating each group in turn with these fares and their unintended consequences.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

If the children can't use the clubs that have been advertised in the product that's on offer then I would have thought there was a case for compensation no matter what the small print might say.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

There is quite abit about this on cruise critic.

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

P&O should apply a cap on the number of children allowed on a cruise. The cap being related to the number of spaces available on the various age band children's clubs.

A very good reason to stay clear of summer holiday cruises on the so-called family ships if all the children are not to be "corralled" in their clubs. Although some parents are very good at entertaining and ensuring their children are behaving themselves there is an increasing number of parents who do not give a monkey's do-dos about their children spoiling the enjoyment of fare-paying adult passengers who have either seen to their children correctly, leave them at home, children are now grown-up, or have no children.

||||
o Q
<
__

|>o<|
TMM

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

The trouble is those children's clubs are so much fun!

That said, I have now unsubscribed myself Jan, so there should be another place available now. :-(

Susan Watt
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Susan Watt »

Some children will not make use of the kids clubs therefore limiting number of children onboard would not be right. When booking you should have to say whether a kids club place is required or not then once they are full it should show you can't have a place before you book.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:
P&O should apply a cap on the number of children allowed on a cruise. The cap being related to the number of spaces available on the various age band children's clubs.
I thought that was what did happen, maybe the economic climate means they are now taking the money from wherever they can get it.

Admiral of the Humber
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Admiral of the Humber »

A very good reason to stay clear of summer holiday cruises on the so-called family ships if all the children are not to be "corralled" in their clubs. Although some parents are very good at entertaining and ensuring their children are behaving themselves there is an increasing number of parents who do not give a monkey's do-dos about their children spoiling the enjoyment of fare-paying adult passengers who have either seen to their children correctly, leave them at home, children are now grown-up, or have no children.

Family friendly cruise ships have always appealed to me. After reading this they appeal to me even more......
One day P&O will cruise out of the north.....

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I should report back that the panic over the shortage of places in the clubs was a bit of a damp squib - we went to the children's clubs to enrol the girls and were told the reason for the email was because on the previous cruise there had been a shortage of staff due to the CRB checks taking so long to process. However the clubs closed from 12 to 2 pm and again from 5 for an hour - I don't remember this happening before but may be wrong and one of the boys did hint that they weren't up to full strength. I have to say the staff were all very pleasant and obviously loved their jobs and boy did they earn their wages with so many children on board :crazy:

It was noticeable that there was no supervision around the pool areas and unfortunately this resulted in the little darlings :sarcasm: jumping and diving into the pool and although an officer came and spoke to the offenders once he left they just continued. My granddaughters are both good swimmers but the 6 year old was a bit overwhelmed at times with the behaviour of kids who should have been more careful - my son sat by the pool anyway while they were in the water but I'm pretty sure that last time we were on board a member of the children's staff was present to supervise - possibly they couldn't spare someone to do this.
Janis

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Jan, I would have thought around the pool was the one place to ensure staffing levels were possible. Boisterous children without supervision could frighten another child making them nervous in the future.

sumdumbloke
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by sumdumbloke »

Although some parents are very good at entertaining and ensuring their children are behaving themselves there is an increasing number of parents who do not give a monkey's do-dos about their children spoiling the enjoyment of fare-paying adult passengers

|>o<|
Just to make a point that should be obvious but for some reason is commonly overlooked, the children too have been paid for, often at the same rate as the adults. Gratuities are also demanded, so the idea that they are somehow freeloading shouldn't be entertained.

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Andrea you are right and quite a few children had mishaps - I'm afraid it was quite silly and dangerous the way some kids were behaving and it spoilt it for the little ones. I believe one of the bigger boys landed awkwardly after jumping in and dislocatd his shoulder but no sympathy from me I'm afraid.
Janis

Maria_09
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Maria_09 »

Nice post. I really enjoyed reading this forum.

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

Maria, you are taking umbrage with a post made last August! Jan, that's not kind :sarcasm:

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I'm not bovverred HK - Maria is a new member - she's just catching up ;)
Janis

Return to “Cruising with Children”