Riverboat Cruising on the Saone / Rhone rivers with Viking.

Anything to do with river cruising

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

>>

Our Riverboat Cruising package was called ' Burgundy, Provence and Catalonia ', most of the details are contained in the link below.

To summarise our experience of cruising with Viking albeit in the knowledge that we had acquired a £1,000 pp price reduction with our late-ish booking for a cruise during the month of August. There are a few things to note about August it seems, the French and Spanish go on their holidays and many of the shops, restaurants and cafes are closed. It was also Gay Pride season we discovered in Barcelona and although not a major problem to us we felt a bit out numbered at times, also having one's breakfast while the pretty boys skipped about in their little white singlets and pink shorts was a bit off-putting at that time of the morning. Far more importantly it also transpired that the sunflowers and lavender fields were at their peak in July this year but we did at least see some fine examples of each.

We flew with BA at the leisurely hour of 11:35 from Heathrow T1, in dire need of impending modernisation I would add, to Lyon in France which took 1 hour and 15 minutes during which time we had a cup of coffee and a bag of crisps / nibbles. When we reached Lyon it was absolutely throwing it down with rain but this was to be a one off and for the remaining 10 days it would be dry, virtually cloudless and with temperatures ranging between 25 and 32 degrees.

It was also to become the first test for Viking ... we exited the Lyon airport / railway concourse and headed off in the torrential rain to the coach park for the 80 mile transfer to the ship / riverboat only to discover that the coach was missing so back we shuffled the 100 mtrs or so to the covered walkway but there were by now large puddles forming. Another false alarm when we rushed back n forth to the wrong coach. One couple set out their stall by moaning out load so they were basically ignored for the rest of the trip, they also moaned about the Barcelona Hotel and everything else in between but they were the only ones.

While we and everybody else were stood about in the puddles making the best of it waiting for a replacement coach for the missing one that had broken down ... no effective communication in this instance ... one lady who's case had been unknowingly punctured in three places during the BA flight was standing there quite happily but oblivious to the fact that her clothes were by now absorbing significant quantities of water from the puddles. Viking's response was to replace her case and to dry clean the affected clothes and that was the start of the incredibly high level of service that we were to experience throughout the entire trip.

Over the years on this and the preceding P&O sites I have read about people feeling ' special ' but in all honesty I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about even though we have cruised with P&O since 2001 ... if you want ' special ' then sample Viking is my advice.

The itinerary took us from Lyon by coach to Chalon-sur-Saone and then via Macon, Beaune, Lyon, Vienne, Tournon, Viviers and Arles etc to Avignon. Every Port had an included excursion but we booked three more to enhance our overall experience. We were then transferred by coach via a non inclusive lunch in the main square in Girona to our 4* Hotel in Barcelona.

Breakfast during the cruise was all buffet with specialities cooked to order and lunch was buffet for the first course only. All other courses were chosen from a short menu but all included authentic regional dishes and all were of a fine dining quality and all far exceeded anything that we have ever eaten on a P&O Ship. The wine served with lunch and dinner reflected the region and all were of a high quality, were served in large sparkling wine glasses and without any inhibition ... my entire bar bill for booze was less than €20 for a few beers during the heat of the afternoon.

The add on excursions however were each about €45 pp and suggested tips equated to €14 pppd but I paid without a whimper cos it was a magical journey in all respects.

The Hotel in Barcelona was a bit bland, breakfast was a tad vin ordinaire and their restaurant was closed during our visit ... but on reflection that was the best thing that could have happened as it forced us to seek out what was probably the best two tapas bars in the entire City. Viking included an orientation tour which set the scene but was something we could have skipped having been here before. We walked and walked and walked to see the Gaudi buildings plus the Picasso Museum and a couple of previously unseen churches ... apart from a taxi to the Parc Guell and a Fast track coach tour to see the interior of the Segrada Familla-ish.

The 2 1/2 hour flight back from Barcelona to Heathrow T5 went well but on this flight we had chicken wraps and a G&T.

If I think of anything else I will add it and if anybody has any questions then please ask.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Re: Riverboat Cruising on the Saone / Rhone rivers with Viki

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Mob for your review. What was it about Viking that made you feel 'special'? Mr Dingle told me to ask you. :clap:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Welcome home Moby ... I wondered where you had disappeared to :?

I have found this very interesting as Viking are the River Cruise Line I am looking at ( possibly for next year ) and to date have only read very good reports.

What type of cabin did you have and how did it compare to an ocean going ship ??

In view of recent changes to smoking policies with Carnival from 2014 do you know what the smoking policies are on board ?? ( sorry lol )

Was it just wine that was included in the price or did it include all drinks ??

Knowing that you have previously done a river cruise via travel through the Euro tunnel, how would you compare Euro with flying to the destination ??
Jo

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

80 mile transfer.....

it's a half hour walk or less than no time by tram from Lyon Part Dieu station! - less if you go to Perrache stn (wish we'd realised in time!)
Meg
x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thanks Meg, this will sound really stupid but I have a fear of travelling under water hence the question.

A few years ago we docked in Brooklyn and travelled into Manhattan, we were about half way there when I suddenly realised we were travelling under the Hudson river and I had a panic attack ..not very pleasant :roll:
Jo

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Thanks Meg, this will sound really stupid but I have a fear of travelling under water hence the question.

A few years ago we docked in Brooklyn and travelled into Manhattan, we were about half way there when I suddenly realised we were travelling under the Hudson river and I had a panic attack ..not very pleasant :roll:
not even slightly stupid. you wouldn't know you were under water, but it's a long tunnel if it does prove to be a problem....
Meg
x

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Interesting to read MOB, we have been considering Viking for a Nile cruise (once things calm sown a bit).
Out of interest what was the entertainment like on board?

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I'd love to try a river cruise - very interesting reading your report MOB but when I've priced river cruises the single supplement seems to be pretty high - were there many singles on board?
Janis

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you for your report, very interesting for me, as I'm going on a Viking river cruise on the Danube next year.

I already feel quite 'special' as they've sent me a L'Occitaine toiletries gift pack as a thank you for booking. I'm glad to hear the specialness continues on board.

My question is

What was the dress code, what did people actually wear and what mix of nationalities were the passengers?
Gill

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Contd ..... and to include responses to some of the questions raised thus far,

We sailed on Viking's ' Neptune ' and this ship at 12 years old is starting to look a little dated regarding the design of the ship itself plus internal features etc but she is certainly not grubby looking, we were advised that she will be replaced next year ... in fact they will be getting ten new ships over the next few years. All of their ships have thus far been built in Germany and it seems that they are floated onto a cradle in a dry dock and then craned onto a container ship for transit to the river that they are due to sail up and down on.

Theirs is an expanding business and a new trip on the Bordeaux river network for example is sold out already for 2014 !!!

Our cabin was a Deluxe ' A ' grade on the upper deck which was as big as most P&O outside cabins. We enjoyed a large picture window that could be slid open as required but there are not any balcony cabins on ' Neptune ', the bathroom however was a tad cosy although the supplied goodies were of a high standard.

Every passenger was able, if they so wished, to visit the galley and / or the wheelhouse ... just needed to ask at reception..

There were hardly any smokers on this particular cruise and those that did have a need for a weed were obliged to use the sun deck as smoking is prohibited throughout the entire ship. Which reminds me .. regarding the sun deck we had a lovely lunch up there on one occasion but this requires the erecting of sun canopies and various catering stands etc which are not possible when the ship is under power for a variety of good reasons including low, very low in some cases, bridges.

There is no formality on Viking Cruises but everybody opted for elegant casual as a minimum in the evening. At the Captain's Welcome Dinner on the second evening most of the gentlemen wore jackets albeit without ties but the numbers had dropped significantly at the Farewell Dinner on the penultimate evening. The ladies dressed up for everything as is their want ... even those from North America and Oz. This ship has a capacity of about 140 and she seemed to be full. The mix included half a dozen couples from Scotland, the moaners from Wales, one couple from Chile and two more from Canada. The remainder were folk from England and the USA.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thanks Moby :D :thumbup:
Jo

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Didn't like the sound of the "moaners from Wales" MOB - hope they didn't let the side down too badly :roll: thank goodness we are not all the same ;)
Janis

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

The cruise started in Chalon-sur-Saone rather than Lyon and we were entirely happy about that arrangement but I accept that some may prefer to start in Lyon.

Wine was inclusive at lunch times and during the evening meal as was beer or any soft drink but spirits were not inclusive. At any other time booze was charged for but the prices were very reasonable or so I thought. They also have a ' Silver something or other ' option that enables you to upgrade your wine to a premium choice and this also included two cocktails etc but we gave it a miss as the ' free ' wine was very good and if we had the cocktails as well we wouldn't have been able to walk in a straight line, Spanish measures rule on Viking :clap:

There is a cocktail event in the bar / lounge in the evening prior to the evening meal and also a talk from the Program Manager advising passengers about the events and arrangements for the following day ... after all the walking we were usually too knacked to go so read the in cabin blurb instead.

Flying can be a chore but our flights were short and we only had to handle our luggage briefly, i.e. to / from check-in desk / baggage reclaim to the transfer coach / chum Neil who drives us to / from the Airports. Eurostar was great with Titan because they take care of your luggage from St Pancras station to your cabin on the ship, handling it yourself can be a right pain and especially so if you load it into the wrong carriage hold. I would use Eurostar again with Titan for a Riverboat Cruise with Uniworld but not as a DIY to anywhere requiring a change of trains and / or stations.

The entertainment is non existent in P&O terms ... they have a guy who plays electronic keyboard etc music in the lounge, we had a rock 'n' roll deck party one evening when we tied up alongside Viking's sister ship ' Europe' and we had a French accordionist during our sun deck lunch ... the crew did a routine plus we had a classical French trio of singers one evening. Hardly Las Vegas but it fitted in very well with what we were doing otherwise you could sometimes wander into the town as night given that you often park in the High Street on these Cruises rather than in a container Port some place.

There were quite a number of single ladies on board but they all mixed n mingled very quickly so didn't spend much time on their own after the first evening meal, didn't ask about finances but according to the Viking website solos pay 50% to 100% surcharge for single occupancy.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Didn't like the sound of the "moaners from Wales" MOB - hope they didn't let the side down too badly :roll: thank goodness we are not all the same ;)
Yes, very sorry about that ... indeed to goodness you are not all the same, I know as I am married to one ;)

I gained the impression that they were seeking compo, ironically he was at it again at Barcelona Airport when he didn't like the seats they had been given ... BA moved them but put them in the quirky seats right at the back of the aircraft next to the toilets :lol:

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

:)

Thanks for your review. I'm still tempted but there's always something at the back of my mind holding me back .... One day, maybe

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Manoverboard wrote:
Jan Rosser wrote:
Yes, very sorry about that ... indeed to goodness you are not all the same, I know as I am married to one ;)

I gained the impression that they were seeking compo, ironically he was at it again at Barcelona Airport when he didn't like the seats they had been given ... BA moved them but put them in the quirky seats right at the back of the aircraft next to the toilets :lol:
You obviously have very good taste MOB - you are forgiven :thumbup:
Janis

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Jan Rosser wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
Jan Rosser wrote:
Didn't like the sound of the "moaners from Wales" MOB - hope they didn't let the side down too badly :roll: thank goodness we are not all the same

You obviously have very good taste MOB - you are forgiven :thumbup:
I was just about to say the same thing.
Enjoyed your report and I would love to do a river cruise, but we just can't get my son to entertain the idea of flying these days. I don't think P&O have ever made me feel special, but perhaps I expect too much. :D

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks again, Moby :D

I was looking forward to my river cruise anyway, but it's good to read a report from a trusted source(you), giving a good review.

When the Spirit of Chartwell was on the Thames we did a day cruise in London and stayed overnight in a little cabin.

I did enjoy the experience, so I feel that a river cruise will prove to be a good choice for us.

Also, it'll be nice to cruise with an international clientele, rather than just Brits
Gill

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

emjay45 wrote:

Enjoyed your report and I would love to do a river cruise, but we just can't get my son to entertain the idea of flying these days. I don't think P&O have ever made me feel special, but perhaps I expect too much. :D
The main European rivers can be accessed by train with very little aggravation
Meg
x

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Manoverboard wrote:
The cruise started in Chalon-sur-Saone rather than Lyon and we were entirely happy about that arrangement but I accept that some may prefer to start in Lyon.
apologies for assuming it started in Lyon. I'm sure Chalon can be accessed as easily by train for the non fliers
Meg
x

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Meg 50 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
apologies for assuming it started in Lyon. I'm sure Chalon can be accessed as easily by train for the non fliers
An apology is not needed Meg :wave:

There is indeed a rail link to Chalon from Lyon, it takes 60-90 minutes and will cost approx €30 pp plus another €15 from the station to the ship. Conversely a taxi from Lyon to the ship will cost €300 for two persons with two bags each ... this info is part of the comprehensive info as supplied by Viking to all passengers.

As an aside there would be 1 x change, assume Paris, on the journey between St Pancras and Chalon, it will take approx 7 hours and will presently cost a max of £185 pp for this single journey during the month of August.

ps ... thank you ' Gill W ' :wave:

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

if you book in advance it is £79.50 from St Pancras to Chalon Sur Saone.

yes, you change trains in Paris - they give you about an hour to do it. This is ample time - we did it in about 25 mins

travelling across france by train was infinitely preferable to flying
Meg
x

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

oldbluefox wrote:
... What was it about Viking that made you feel 'special'? Mr Dingle told me to ask you. :clap:
Did he ? :thumbup:

That is an impossible question and is something that is individual to each person, however I will try ...

' Special ' is about feeling good from start to finish about the holiday product that you have purchased and knowing that you have rarely felt quite the same way before. It is about continuingly exceeding expectations and believe me when I say that at these prices we had very high expectations.

It is an accumulation of little things that become evident as the days roll by, for example ....

The extra touches like an enthusiastic welcome on board ( via Viking's Red Carpet ) with a cooling face towel and an invite to go directly to the lounge for nibbles and refreshments, none of this take a photo and show me your credit card nonsense.

Nor do they make you sign a health declaration, this is because they have told you about the problems that can arise and they treat you like an adult so will trust you to wash your hands and use the hand sized spray booths provided. When you leave or re board the ship you get a pass from reception by name or cabin number rather than by a stranger striping a cruise card ... you always travel on the same excursion coach as in this way you tend to meet the same people so will bond with them more quickly than just leaving everything to chance.

Money is never mentioned, they will provide you with an ' invoice ' when they are good and ready and you will then be ' invited ' to pay it within defined hours ... express payment is a non option. They say they do it this way to ensure they maintain a personal touch and I for one believe them but others may think it is done to make it more difficult to avoid tipping the staff as it is at this jucture that they politely enquire if you wish to do so. In any event nobody mentioned tipping nor cost of cruises nor anything at all about cold food etc throughout the entire cruise which certainly made a nice change.

The food was simply amazing and the staff seemed to instinctively know if you wanted an extra plate of scallops or an extra ' say when ' type portion of Coq au Vin etc. The waiters are European professionals rather than subservient Asian contract workers, they were treated as equals rather than as servants and they responded in a naturally friendly way rather than contrived and controlled as can be the case on some of the cruise ships. This could of course have been due in part to the North American passengers who seem to treat waiters with far more respect than the average Brit.

The cabin by the way was totally spotless and dust free, I thought of Ken running his fingers round the picture frames so did a trial ... zilch and the bathroom smellies are a real treat as were the towel animals every night albeit there were not any chocs on one's pillow at night.

I could carry on with this for ages but you should have the gist by now and please don't insult my intelligence by saying that you get the same on P&O cos you don't :lol:

++++ Just to add

There are no coffee making facilities in the cabins but there is a machine available 24/7 ... with a selection of home made cookies should the need arise. In most cases there are morning excursions departing at 08:30 so an early breakfast with proper coffee does the trick, for the rest of the day you can buy a coffee variation at the bar in the lounge for a very reasonable price.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Meg 50 wrote:
emjay45 wrote:

The main European rivers can be accessed by train with very little aggravation
Meg you won't get my son or myself under that tunnel :(
Manoverboard wrote:
oldbluefox wrote:
... What was it about Viking that made you feel 'special'? Mr Dingle told me to ask you. :clap:
Did he ? :thumbup:

That is an impossible question and is something that is individual to each person, however I will try ...

' Special ' is about feeling good from start to finish about the holiday product that you have purchased and knowing that you have rarely felt quite the same way before. It is about continuingly exceeding expectations and believe me when I say that at these prices we had very high expectations.

It is an accumulation of little things that become evident as the days roll by, for example ....

The extra touches like an enthusiastic welcome on board ( via Viking's Red Carpet ) with a cooling face towel and an invite to go directly to the lounge for nibbles and refreshments, none of this take a photo and show me your credit card nonsense.

Nor do they make you sign a health declaration, this is because they have told you about the problems that can arise and they treat you like an adult so will trust you to wash your hands and use the hand sized spray booths provided. When you leave or re board the ship you get a pass from reception by name or cabin number rather than by a stranger striping a cruise card ... you always travel on the same excursion coach as in this way you tend to meet the same people so will bond with them more quickly than just leaving everything to chance.

Money is never mentioned, they will provide you with an ' invoice ' when they are good and ready and you will then be ' invited ' to pay it within defined hours ... express payment is a non option. They say they do it this way to ensure they maintain a personal touch and I for one believe them but others may think it is done to make it more difficult to avoid tipping the staff as it is at this jucture that they politely enquire if you wish to do so. In any event nobody mentioned tipping nor cost of cruises nor anything at all about cold food etc throughout the entire cruise which certainly made a nice change.

The food was simply amazing and the staff seemed to instinctively know if you wanted an extra plate of scallops or an extra ' say when ' type portion of Coq au Vin etc. The waiters are European professionals rather than subservient Asian contract workers, they were treated as equals rather than as servants and they responded in a naturally friendly way rather than contrived and controlled as can be the case on some of the cruise ships. This could of course have been due in part to the North American passengers who seem to treat waiters with far more respect than the average Brit.

The cabin by the way was totally spotless and dust free, I thought of Ken running his fingers round the picture frames so did a trial ... zilch and the bathroom smellies are a real treat as were the towel animals every night albeit there were not any chocs on one's pillow at night.

I could carry on with this for ages but you should have the gist by now and please don't insult my intelligence by saying that you get the same on P&O cos you don't :lol:

++++ Just to add

There are no coffee making facilities in the cabins but there is a machine available 24/7 ... with a selection of home made cookies should the need arise. In most cases there are morning excursions departing at 08:30 so an early breakfast with proper coffee does the trick, for the rest of the day you can buy a coffee variation at the bar in the lounge for a very reasonable price.

The Europeans have a totally different view about being waiters. They certainly don't consider it to be a subservient career, only us Brits do. I agree you certainly don't get that sort of attention or service from P&O. No matter which grade of cabin you are in.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

One day we were in Vienne riding the back of the ' choo - choo ' train. It paused for a few moments at their Roman walls and the Ship's Program Manager ran up, borrowed my camera and then took a photo of us ... can anybody honestly say that a CD from P&O has done the same for them in a Port of Call ?

:lol:

Return to “River Cruising”