Yorkshire wins Europe's Leading Destination 2013

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Yorkshire wins Europe's Leading Destination 2013

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Brian,

We have a plan to do an annual trip to Yorkshire (following on from a ruddling great time this year in Yorkshire). My husband now informs he that he has a cunning plan ..... Breakfast at Betty's in Ilkley, followed by mid-morning coffee at Betty's in Harlow Carr, then lunch at Betty's in Harrogate, afternoon tea at Betty's in York (don't know which branch), and finally if we are still standing dinner at Betty's in Northallerton!

We managed to buy some gifts to take home with us, and they went down very well indeed.

Now then - and this is mainly aimed at Cunard (sorry), but as the Harrods shop(s) seem(s) to be under-used, I would be very pleased indeed if Betty's could open a 'gift shop' onboard ship!!!

People often wax lyrical about some glorious meal then have enjoyed somewhere, with spices and sauces galore; but I have to put it on record that we had the most memorable chicken sandwiches (plain and simple but absolutely perfect) at Betty's in York.

Simply can't wait to return.

Em :)

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

On a plenary meeting of directors and managers to be held at a partner business's premises near Rotheram all the directors and managers travelled up two or three to a car the afternoon from London before to have dinner together and stay in an out of town motel type of establishment.

I was invited to attend but it was accepted that I needed to be in London till circa 8pm to attend to a mission critical deliverable that had could not be brought forward due to temporal info pipe-line constraints.

It was agreed that I should travel up to arrive at 7am for a working breakfast before moving on to a site visit with all the teams and then onto a plenary session with our teams and our business partner's teams.

Once again I left home (Hampshire) at about 3am, once again driving up the dual and motorway system at a steady 60, and arrived in time for the working breakfast.

My colleages were exchanging 'machsimo' comments about how they managed to demolish a Barnsley Chop as well as vast quantities of chips and peas, etc.

We were asked to order breakfast and their appeared to be little choice (other than continental) except for some "trechermans" idea of a light meal (ie a very FULL English) that would sustain the needs of a poor sub-Saharan family for 6 months!

As my colleagues and line director (a larger than life Liverpudlian) were all ordering this cooked breakfast and, because of my slight queezyness after waking up at 2.30am I asked if I could have prepared a sausage sandwich so at least to be seen as being 'part of the mission' ,although some of my more 'laddish' colleagues did the 'rolling eyes' bit amongst themselves.

The South Yorkshire waitress said: "Of course you can pet/chuck/m'duck" (or whatever the local vernacular demands of these occasions).

After 15 mins or so everyone's plates (vary large oval platters which could have held a medium turkey) and presented to me was a conical mountain of Mother's Pride White Bread sandwiching sliced sausages of about the same proportions as the numeropus slag heaps one passed on the motorway in this region back in those days. Think of the Three Bears in The Beano salivating whilst dreaming of gargantuan feasts and you get the picture of what I was looking at.

Anyway my colleagues tucked in with relish into their breakfasts with again the more laddish elements joshing me with my choice and then challenging me to finish it.

Funnily enough, having drunk a small bucket of a mug of builder's tea, my queeziness had subsided and I started to consume my sandwiches. Having not eaten properly since lunch the previous day I actually managed to consume the lot, much to the surprise of colleagues.

Then after our breakfast meeting the business of checking out and settling accounts took place and one of our directors was dealing with the bill and payment for hotel (b&B), dinner, wine, drinks and extra breakfast (for moi).

I was standing in the lobby with my team including the Liverpudlian director to one side of the lobby and we could hear the concersation (unseen) between director and receptionist.

The bill was being prepared to include my breakfast. The receptionist called out to the Waitress: "Was the extra breakfast continental or cooked?" (there was a price difference between the two).

Waitress: "Ee, no, pet/chuck/m'duck. He had a plate of sausage sandwiches instead."

Receptionist: "I'll charge them the same as a cooked, m'pet/chuck/m'duck."

Waitress: "Ere, you know he ate the whole lot oop".

Receptionist: "No, what that little weedy southerner wi' bow-tie an' glasses?"

Cue: much mirth forom colleagues - and again repeated to the "Yorkshire based and to a man all Yorkshire men" team we were visiting! And then again back at the office in London the next day to all asundry.
TMM

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

We've been to Betty's in York, and very good it was too.
TMM

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

Derek, I guess the ladies thought your stomach must have been akin to the Tardis ! Your latest story reminded me of me dad - he always had a pint pot of tea - don't know how he managed it !

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Southernists!

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Forget your tablecloths and your waitresses. After a day out on Ingleborough a pint mug of tea and a scone in the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe in Horton in Ribblesdale is heaven sent. A great little cafe in stunning surroundings.

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

oldbluefox wrote:
Forget your tablecloths and your waitresses. After a day out on Ingleborough a pint mug of tea and a scone in the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe in Horton in Ribblesdale is heaven sent. A great little cafe in stunning surroundings.
My daughter has done the three Peaks walk, and, as you say, these are stunning surroundings.

Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

oldbluefox wrote:

Goodness me OBF, is it still there. I have fond memories of it, my potholing days, and a decent of Gaping Gill with the Bradford Potholing Club

Ray

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I think the Bradford Potholing Club still do the descent into Gaping Gill on Bank holidays, at least they did until about 4 years ago. For anybody into walking or potholing it is a wonderful area.

Bradford Potholing Club Gaping Gill
Gaping Gill

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

We spent many a happy holiday in Scarborough in the '70s. Now I'm imagining it all again reading the DCI Banks books.
What I don't understand is, why casn't thee all talk proper, like I?

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

nice to see you still have that story to hand Mr Kane

always good for a laugh that one
Nihil Obstat

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

On a point of order Mr Kane up in Northland they are "sausage butties" not sausage sandwiches :roll:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

nowadays Smurfy it is a sausage pannini :lol:
Nihil Obstat

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Dark Knight wrote:
nowadays Smurfy it is a sausage pannini :lol:
Not in the transport caffs around here it ain't! :D

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

ItsmeAnnC wrote:
We spent many a happy holiday in Scarborough in the '70s. Now I'm imagining it all again reading the DCI Banks books.
What I don't understand is, why casn't thee all talk proper, like I?
Some of us do Ann :lol: :lol:
Jo

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Romig
Some not all......
cant beat a really hearty bacon and sausage buttie from a good roadside van
I know several if you want a few pointers
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

All can say is...

...if Yorkshire won the competition then the other entries must have been pretty bad.

(Ducks and runs for cover) :eek:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I believe Liverpool was on the "you would be better of in Chernobyl" list and also the "you must be taking the p*** list" as well

care to confirm this ? 8-) 8-)
Nihil Obstat

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Dark Knight wrote:
Romig
Some not all......
cant beat a really hearty bacon and sausage buttie from a good roadside van
I know several if you want a few pointers
Ah Dark Knight, the infamous "Greasy Spoon"! The one outside Shell Carrington near Urmston, was my favourite, you could stand a spoon up in the cups before the tea was poured in, and you got a little bit of bacon with your grease and crust, if you got there early.

Delboy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Delboy »

If you ever visit Harwich for a cruise, there is a great roadside van outside Ha' Penny Pier. When they altered the harbour road, they even provided a special pitch for him. He does a great sausage sarnie. :thumbup:

As for Sausage Sandwich, this is what Wikipedia has to say

In the UK, sausage sandwiches (Sausage sarnie or butty in UK (English) slang, or 'Piece 'n' Sausage' in UK (Scottish) slang) can typically be found in greasy spoons (workers' cafés) and many roadside food stalls. They are also made at home, as a classic post-hangover pick-me-up.
It is a breakfast favourite although it may be purchased and consumed at any time of the day. Popular combinations are sausage and bacon, sausage and egg, sausage and fried onions and sausage and tomato.
When we stopped off last weekend at a fairly new roadside services on the A5 on the outside of Shrewsbury, they were called a sausage pannini.

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

Sarnie.

Be wary of mobile vans - I got campylobacter once (believe me you don't want it). Could have been from a mobile van at the footie ....... someone once told me that when they had a hot dog van they scraped the mould off the sausages and reheated them. :sick:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Mo2013 wrote:
Sarnie.

Be wary of mobile vans - I got campylobacter once (believe me you don't want it). Could have been from a mobile van at the footie ....... someone once told me that when they had a hot dog van they scraped the mould off the sausages and reheated them. :sick:

Mo, I don't believe you're from Yorkshire really....... surely a true Yorkie wouldn't pay the prices at the vans at the footy? Admit it...you're Derek's sister and live in Watercress-land too! :D

Mo2013
I am banned
I am banned

Post by Mo2013 »

Romig - you're funny ! To be absolutely accurate, the game had finished, it was about 10 pm and I was starving so I had a tray of chips but I think that juices from the dogs might have dripped onto the chips ...... it was years ago so the price wasn't that high, but when you're hungry... I didn't even finish them .... tell you what, I'll meet you in Dewsbury or Mirfield perhaps and you'll soon realise that I am a Yorkie through and through, and no I don't think that me and Derek were separated at birth ...... :wave:

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Hull is the running for city of culture, and hopefully , if successful, this could lead to investment and employment for the area

so good luck Hull
Nihil Obstat

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”