ooops my bad :o
sorry Merv
Nihil Obstat

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: during the day

Post by arcadialover »

There is a lot of things that you can do if you want. I can spend hours sat on the balcony just enjoying watching nothing but the sea

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

...or, like me last Christmas, watching QBob doing his jigsaws and winning all the bloody quizzes !!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

qbman1 wrote:
...or, like me last Christmas, watching QBob doing his jigsaws and winning all the bl**dy quizzes !!
Not both at the same time, I hasten to add.

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

There are plenty of things to do whilst at sea. I find that I frequently have to miss something I want to do because I have gone to something else that clashes. After a leisurely breakfast you will only have a few hours before lunch, and then the time seems to wizz by and before you know it you are getting ready for dinner. All too soon it is bed time and tomorrow arrives and you do it all again. I never tire of just sitting on the balcony and watching nothing and trying to spot dolphins.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

That sums up life at sea very succinctly A-L. It probably also shows why some of us absolutely love sea days whilst others, who are unable to relax, can't wait for the next port to arrive

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

someone mention port?

pass to the left please and dont hog all the stilton either
Nihil Obstat

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

qbman1 wrote:
... whilst others, who are unable to relax, can't wait for the next port to arrive
We are generally very relaxed and can sit and read, do knitting or crosswords else count fish or clouds ... or :yawn: be bored rigid and drop off to sleep.

Roll on the next Port with something new and interesting to see, eat or indeed sample.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Manoverboard wrote:
... do knitting ...
Can I put in a request for a scarf please :?: :thumbup: :clap: :crazy:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

david63 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
... do knitting ...
Can I put in a request for a scarf please :?: :thumbup: :clap: :crazy:
Mobietta asks if you prefer any particular colour ... except blue of course !

:lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by simeon »

The first time I took a cruise crossing open water for that long I worried, too. I loaded up my Kindle with about fifteen books, most of them free. I installed a handful of new games on the Kindle. I was ready for boredom. Never turned the darn thing on.

Between getting involved with activities, exploring the ship, eating too many snacks, swimming, exercise sessions, and relaxed conversations, I never had a minute to spare. I was usually exhausted when I went back to the cabin at night and just went to sleep.

Go ahead and pack your books, but don't anticipate so much boredom. There are hundreds of things to do, and hundreds of people ready to do them with you.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

And don't forget that the ship's library has a good selection of recent books.

simeon
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by simeon »

I have found that there is always something to do as long as you are open to new experiences. I have also found that bringing an E-reader (provided you like to read of course) has been one of my favorite ways to pass the time. I do not think that you are as likely to get bored as you think you might.

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

This thread has been running on and off for six months now. I wonder if the OP, Bubbles, went on the cruise, and whether she enjoyed it?
Jay

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Probably a Goldie by now!

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

On our Transatlantic crossing - back yesterday - there were several days when the clocks changed at mid-day - so all of a sudden it was 1pm and it was amazing how quickly the day seemed to disappear. My husband enjoyed doing the crossword each day and the only problem was that as we were doing a back to back at the beginning of the second cruise they just re-issued the crosswords from the first two weeks! Mind you he got really annoyed when there were a couple he couldn't remember the answers to!

Carole

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

CaroleF wrote:
On our Transatlantic crossing - back yesterday - there were several days when the clocks changed at mid-day - so all of a sudden it was 1pm and it was amazing how quickly the day seemed to disappear. My husband enjoyed doing the crossword each day and the only problem was that as we were doing a back to back at the beginning of the second cruise they just re-issued the crosswords from the first two weeks! Mind you he got really annoyed when there were a couple he couldn't remember the answers to!

Carole
Welcome back Carole, I was at the dock gate yesterday so maybe we passed! We prefer changing the clocks at midday, it gives you a full night's sleep and, perhaps more importantly, it also gives the crew a good rest too. There is only a limited number of crosswords, maybe 20, and they are simply used in rotation. Yes, we too have forgotten the answers!

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

CaroleF wrote:

Carole
Oh is that why I found the second cruise crossword easy?!! What a great time we all had (well most) have also booked again for next year back to back, might get to meet you next time! Doreen

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

More easy crosswords then!

I wonder if they also recycle the quiz questions that fast? You could win every prize going!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
More easy crosswords then!

I wonder if they also recycle the quiz questions that fast? You could win every prize going!
There was one syndicate quiz where we realised that we had heard a particular question before, and we got it wrong both times. Then as the quiz went on we realised that we'd had the whole quiz before. We still got the same questions wrong :(

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Probably - you know that it is difficult to "think outside the box" for some. There is probably an envelope which says "Quiz questions - day 1", and another that says "Quiz questions - day 2", etc.

Grando
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Grando »

I think it is sometimes its down to laziness on the entertainment teams part as on this cruise lots of people were staying on and one night in Brodies on the second cruise the questions were exactly the same as had been used on the first, a question was asked and he said no-one ever gets this right and was surprised that some got it right! We won a bottle of wine and some very nice bags!! Doreen.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

The moral being - if you go on a B2B then go to quizzes the first week, write all the answers down and then you will be able to win every quiz on the second week - although what you would do with all those bags is anyone's guess

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
The moral being - if you go on a B2B then go to quizzes the first week, write all the answers down and then you will be able to win every quiz on the second week - although what you would do with all those bags is anyone's guess
Just gold stickers these days :(

Return to “New to Cruising”