Freedom dining on Aurora 2015

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Freedom dining on Aurora 2015

Post by Suekersh »

We started cruising when only 1st or 2nd sitting was available. We chose 1st sitting as for medical reasons at that time 2nd sitting was too late. We then realised that although 1st sitting was earlier than we would prefer it gave us much more choice of entertainment.

When freedom dining became available we were reluctant to change but decided on a shorter cruise to try it out. We are now confirmed freedom diners and look forward to all the PO ships bar Adonia giving the option to all passengers.

Club dining will still be available to those who prefer it.

Sue

cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

The other change on Aurora we were informed last week on Azura is that she will be child free and that the childrens area will be cabins The card room is going to be XVII and Cafe Bordeaux will be The Glasshouse.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

cornmillgirl wrote:
The card room is going to be XVII and Cafe Bordeaux will be The Glasshouse.
Another "clone" then :!: - although I have to admit to liking the Glasshouse concept

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

cornmillgirl wrote:
The other change on Aurora we were informed last week on Azura is that she will be child free and that the childrens area will be cabins The card room is going to be XVII and Cafe Bordeaux will be The Glasshouse.
What!!!! That is terribly disappointing news on all three counts. We have had three wonderful holidays on Aurora with our daughter's family and her children. Despite them being very young they still remember them with excitement. Cafe Bordeaux is a very pleasant alternative to the MDR or buffet and I have no time for these pay-per-mouthful outlets. I'm beginning to wonder what kind idiots we have in charge of P&O, do they really want to kill off their loyal trade? Where are we supposed to take the grandchildren in future? Ventura and Britannia are absolute no-nos and Oceana will be fly-cruising round the Mediterranean.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Totally agree QB. It looks like families with children will only have the choice of the larger ships. We were recently on Oriana & whilst the conversion to the aft section of deck 8 is well done, the ship has obviously lost it's family feel & atmosphere.
Steve

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Must admit I'll be sorry to see the Cafe Bordeaux go. As someone who has never experienced a ship with a 'Glasshouse', can someone explain what it is exactly. :?

cornmillgirl
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by cornmillgirl »

Hi emjay45

It is a wine bar with a lot more extensive list by Olly Smith the wine guy who is associated with P&O, they also serve tapas type
dishes throughout the day and a number of tasting menus to try. I am not sure that fans of Cafe Bordeaux will like the Glashouse
because in Cafe Bordeaux you could have breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you cannot in the Glasshouse.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

cornmillgirl wrote:
Hi emjay45

It is a wine bar with a lot more extensive list by Olly Smith the wine guy who is associated with P&O, they also serve tapas type
dishes throughout the day and a number of tasting menus to try. I am not sure that fans of Cafe Bordeaux will like the Glashouse
because in Cafe Bordeaux you could have breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you cannot in the Glasshouse.
And you have to pay!

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I do like The Glasshouse...... but I like Café Bordeaux as well, and enjoy having the opportunity to use both, depending on what ship I'm on

It's very disappointing the Café Bordeaux will be going.

Also, disappointing the Aurora will be child fee. Four adult only ships seems a bit excessive to me.

All these changes mean that everybody will have less choice.
Gill

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

cornmillgirl wrote:
I am not sure that fans of Cafe Bordeaux will like the Glashouse because in Cafe Bordeaux you could have breakfast, lunch and dinner, but you cannot in the Glasshouse.
Unless things have changed recently you can have lunch and dinner - admittedly as QB says at a price.

(are they still serving the de-constructed pavlova?)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Cafe Bordeaux on Aurora is a good alternative for a later leisurely breakfast or for lunch if you're late back from a run ashore.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

I quite like the sound of the Glasshouse, but I'll miss the Cafe Bordeaux and my son (not an early riser) will be devastated as he liked to have a late breakfast there.
QB my OH isn't pleased that you have to pay :roll:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Well if ever I had any future intention of returning to P&O it has just gone out of the window.

I don't like adult only ships so Aurora would have been my only choice ( never fancied Oceana ) although I know many love it.

I've been on Ventura and whilst I can't fault it as we had a very nice cruise it just isn't the ship for me and for that reason I wouldn't even consider Azura or Britannia, this is down to personal choice as I'm very aware many people enjoy the larger ships just not me :o

Looks as if Cunard will have my business for the foreseeable future.
Jo

paulosmac
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by paulosmac »

Is it true that Aurora is becoming adult only?
The refit appears to include a refurb of the children's area. Surely if they are doing away with the under 18s then this would be the ideal time to reconfigure the children's area.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

paulosmac wrote:
The refit appears to include a refurb of the children's area. Surely if they are doing away with the under 18s then this would be the ideal time to reconfigure the children's area.
Still family-friendly from what I can see. It's still being advertised as such for next year's cruises and as you say the children's area is being done over. They're ruining the rest of the ship though, cr***y Costa Coffee everywhere and nowhere to sit and lounge around.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

paulosmac wrote:
No idea paulosmac my comment referred to what GillW said in post number 84.
Jo

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dancing Queen wrote:
paulosmac wrote:

And my comment referred to Cornmillgirls post number 77 on 4th May
It's like Chinese whispers.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

:lol: :lol:

Sorry Gill, I noticed I had posted and just scrolled back to see why I would have said that so I didn't get further than your post, I'll go and read post 77 now :lol:
Jo

paulosmac
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by paulosmac »

Gill W wrote:
Dancing Queen wrote:
paulosmac wrote:

And my comment referred to Cornmillgirls post number 77 on 4th May
It's like Chinese whispers.
I can't see any other reference to this on official site or other forums, so would be interested to know where Cornmillgirl got this info from.

We're looking to book for next year's summer holiday and were eyeing up the Aurora Med cruises for the school summer hols in August 2015. As it stands, this is still being advertised as a family friendly cruise, but I'm mindful that P&O could change this after we booked. Don't want to be in the position of booking and then having to re-arrange because of a change in the ship's policy.
Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received...

June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Smoggie on tour wrote:
Booked Aurora cruise for 2015 today and was offered freedom dining. Travel agent says this will be available when we sail. Hope she is right. Checked the P&O website but could not find any information. Has anybody else been offered this option for any future cruises booked on Aurora?
We are booked on Aurora sailing 19th December and we will be Freedom Dining in the Meridian restaurant. Going to give it a try. Just in case it's not for us we have booked 2nd sitting for our 21st Dec cruise.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

No mention about going child free in the latest report ( that I can find ) as per ...

http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/po-cruis ... 14.article

:?
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Certainly won't to sorry to see the back of MPW in Café Bordeaux. In our view it was better before his influence. But hope in its new guise it still does those late breakfasts - can't see any reason why not in the info P&O have given. And will be pleased with the addition of Sindhu. Not bothered either way about Costa. And can't see at all where the child free rumour has come from. If that was going to happen they'd do it now, not refurb the children's area and close it later.

Return to “About Aurora”