World cruise?

Anything to do with World Cruises

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: World cruise?

Post by The Monocled Mutineer »

I wonder how many cases we would need for a world cruise?

The record for us is (I think) 9 cases + 4 hand luggage for upto 22 nights. Currently have this down to 7 + 4 hand luggage, when we pack this Sunday for the following Friday departure (working up to the Thursday evening so too tired to pack in the evenings).

Other than drawing from a choice of three dinner jackets for myself, Mrs Kane & I wear a different outfit each night. I estimate for a world cruise of 90 nights we would have have to repeat at least twice on outfits after their first "outing" (notwithstanding the three dinner jackets for me) if we wanted to continue "our tradition".

Wardrobe space is not an issue given that at least half the suits and gowns and most shoes remain in nested cases (four 'footprints') under the beds. Most suits/jackets and gowns are within light suit carriers.

On the "upto 22 night cruises" I visit the laundry on the penultimate day at sea (unless a port call, in which case I relegate to the last day at sea) and launder the shirts, t-shirts and lingerie. Clearly, I would have to repeat the exercise twice on a world cruise, but at least there are plenty of trans-ocean sea days to do this. The DJs would need to be sent to the onboard dry cleaners a couple of times, I guess.

Happy cruising to all!
TMM

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

MM
It would really be impossible to take enough clothes to wear a different outfit every night. We used the laundry service but as a top tier member which I believe you are, you would receive a 50% reduction. I believe some cruise lines offer free laundry to those in suites and I have often said I think P&O should offer the same.

Admiral of the Humber
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Admiral of the Humber »

The Monocled Mutineer wrote:

The record for us is (I think) 9 cases + 4 hand luggage for upto 22 nights. Currently have this down to 7 + 4 hand luggage, when we pack this Sunday for the following Friday departure (working up to the Thursday evening so too tired to pack in the evenings).

Other than drawing from a choice of three dinner jackets for myself, Mrs Kane & I wear a different outfit each night. I estimate for a world cruise of 90 nights we would have have to repeat at least twice on outfits after their first "outing" (notwithstanding the three dinner jackets for me) if we wanted to continue "our tradition".

Wardrobe space is not an issue given that at least half the suits and gowns and most shoes remain in nested cases (four 'footprints') under the beds. Most suits/jackets and gowns are within light suit carriers.

On the "upto 22 night cruises" I visit the laundry on the penultimate day at sea (unless a port call, in which case I relegate to the last day at sea) and launder the shirts, t-shirts and lingerie. Clearly, I would have to repeat the exercise twice on a world cruise, but at least there are plenty of trans-ocean sea days to do this. The DJs would need to be sent to the onboard dry cleaners a couple of times, I guess.

Happy cruising to all!
How do you find the ambiance of the launderette Derek? :lol:
One day P&O will cruise out of the north.....

Admiral of the Humber
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Happy cruising to all!

....and do you have a laundry "outfit"?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

wolfie wrote:
Thanks QB, one place we would have loved to have spent more time was NZ, maybe next time. :)

We did have some fantastic ports of call though in the Pacific.
The Aurora 2015 grand tour call at New Zealand twice. You could get off at Auckland on the 26th February and sneak back on board at Dunedin on the 11th March ;)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

emjay45 wrote:
MM
It would really be impossible to take enough clothes to wear a different outfit every night. We used the laundry service but as a top tier member which I believe you are, you would receive a 50% reduction. I believe some cruise lines offer free laundry to those in suites and I have often said I think P&O should offer the same.
Isn't there some catch about the 50% reduction? Something about all the OBC having to be spent first?

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

AOTH:

Ambiance? A thieves kitchen. Which is why I sit there for the session from opening (8am?) till mid-morning with an improving book.

Outfit? Being rather warm in the laundrette I'm inclined to wear just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.
TMM

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Chesterfield John - 'Thanks very much for this, nice to see someone positive on this board'.

I'm not sure where you find all the negativity John. It's a pity you feel people are having a moan on this topic which is not something I have seen or intended. On the contrary it was posted with the intention of finding what everybody else does when embarking on such a venture as it's not simply a matter of shutting the door and forgetting about home for 3 months. We have had all sorts of views on the subject and different ways of going around the world. There have been some very imaginative and practical ideas for those who don't fancy so long away.

I'm sorry if you think that is moaning or being negative. As for your own world cruise I feel sure you will have a wonderful time and hope it is everything you wished for.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
MM
Isn't there some catch about the 50% reduction? Something about all the OBC having to be spent first?
No problem for us QB. We spent all our OBC on the first sector :shock:

Admiral of the Humber
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

AOTH:

Ambiance? A thieves kitchen. Which is why I sit there for the session from opening (8am?) till mid-morning with an improving book.

Outfit? Being rather warm in the laundrette I'm inclined to wear just a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.
Dear Derek,

But surely with an appropriate bow tie? ;)

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ChesterfieldJohn »

emjay45 wrote:
John

Like you we can no longer fly. Our son is losing his sight and it seems to have made him even more claustrophobic than he was before and he can’t go on a plane. Airports became a nightmare too. It’s the reason we started cruising and the reason we have been choosing P&O because they do round trips from Southampton. We also wanted him to experience seeing different cultures and countries while he still can. He surprised himself at the amount of things he was able to do on our various excursions and would love to do it all again. I’m not sure where it is on here but I think ‘Greenie Mike’ put his excellent post with tips for World cruisers on this forum. David could probably point you in the right direction. :thumbup:

I am sorry to hear about your son, its a terrible thing to happen.

My dad used to work at the Workshops for the Blind in Stoke on Trent till they closed it down:(

Some wonderful talented people there, I used to play chess against them and always lost :(

They do cheat at cards though reading the Braille in the corners when they deal :)

John
Cruising is for everyone

The Monocled Mutineer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

AOTH:

If you mean one of those t-shirts with a bow tie printed at the neck-line (rather like those aprons with a Charles Atlas torso on the body of the apron) ... No.
TMM

HK phooey
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by HK phooey »

World cruises are brilliant CJ. Prepare yourself for a terrible homesickness when you get off in Southampton though. We managed with 8 cases for 4 of us, our daugter was 6 so I'm pretty sure we've ruined her future career chances by taking her out of school for 3 months but hey ho. We had a great next door neighbour at the time who went in daily to pick up the post and open/close windows, turn lights on/off. For a small premium our insurance company didn't have a problem covering us for that length of time away so long as we left the heating on low. You'll have a brilliant time.

ChesterfieldJohn
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by ChesterfieldJohn »

HK phooey wrote:
World cruises are brilliant CJ. Prepare yourself for a terrible homesickness when you get off in Southampton though. We managed with 8 cases for 4 of us, our daugter was 6 so I'm pretty sure we've ruined her future career chances by taking her out of school for 3 months but hey ho. We had a great next door neighbour at the time who went in daily to pick up the post and open/close windows, turn lights on/off. For a small premium our insurance company didn't have a problem covering us for that length of time away so long as we left the heating on low. You'll have a brilliant time.

Thanks for this, there are only 2 of us does that mean only 4 cases :)

Better tell the gaffer :)

John
Cruising is for everyone

lioness
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by lioness »

We are just back from Southampton to Dubai on Balmoral. I would definitely not do a worldie, although there were plenty on board who are. We did 23 nights and then 2 nights in Dubai and I was definitely ready to be home. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but wouldn't want to do it for any longer. Our max was 30 nights and that was slightly too long.

Good luck to those who want to, but not for me.

Jean

Seabird
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Seabird »

Hi - we've done two full World Cruises (both approx. 14 weeks long)...and absolutely loved the whole experience! Obvious that Worldies afford you the opportunity to touch lives and taste cultures very different from those in home and European waters and to experience the sheer joy of long lazy days at sea. Probably the best way to express what we love about World cruises vs Shorties is that you don't feel your "on holiday" so much as that you are living your life in completely different way...and for us it really has been a wrench to leave the ship to come home at the end!

Yes there's a lot of admin work up front getting things like payment of bills handled whilst away a long time, and the house insurance and getting friends to look after the post etc.. so if possible may as well make it worthwhile and do it for the whole trip not just the odd sector!!
On the plus side there's all the research and lovely anticipation of new places to explore, sights not to miss, local dishes to try!! And for us girls there's lots of fun to be had in working out what clothes to take, what will mix and match My strategy is to wear my glad rags (formal and semi) 3-4 times each thu the whole trip and then take approx. enough day wear and casual for two weeks and launder! Last time that was three large suitcase/soft-side bags for me and two for hubby. No problem if you start and end in Southampton!!

And then there's the creative challenge of using every bit of space an ordinary outside cabin provides....suitcases left open under beds to slide out as extra drawers...lots of scrunchy cotton shirts/skirts etc that don't need pressing or careful stowage....light weight suit bags for every evening outfit so that they can be squashed in tight in the tiny wardrobes without creasing or snagging....sets of evening bags and shoes ziplocked together in their own bags to happily live in a heap at the bottom of the wardrobe and be easily found as you hurtle to get dressed for dinner after a hectic(!!) day. Costume jewellery and make up similarly packed into ziplock bags with a little air won't get damaged packed into a small drawer & you can see what's where!! Zip up under-bed laundry bags...one for lights and one for darks.... Using the kneehole under the dressing table as the space where souvenirs and treasures are amassed....

All part of the fun of spending 3 months living another life!! My advice is, if you can...then do it!!
But beware, we've found it's addictive!

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Excellent post Seabird. :thumbup: I agree with everything you say. We did our first Worldie last year and would love to do another. You're quite right it's not like a normal cruise more a different way of life. I was glad to get home at the end, but I shed a few tears saying goodbye to some fellow passengers and staff.

FleetinPort
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by FleetinPort »

We haven't done a full world cruise, but joined Arcadia last year and cruised back to UK.

For us, a full world cruise would be too long away from family, pets etc. However we loved our 49 nights on board with a few extra nights in Oz pre-cruise. I agree that there is a totally different ambiance on board, compared with shorter voyages. You get to know your fellow travellers and members of the crew much more than is possible in a couple of weeks, and the ship becomes your home. We found the end of the voyage very sad when we had to leave the ship and say adieu to our fellow travellers, the crew and the ship itself.

This was the first time that we had joined a ship in a distant time zone and then disembarked in UK. However, whenever possible we will always do that in future if long-distance homeward flights would otherwise be involved.

The plus points were:
We were able to enjoy the cruise without continually thinking about the prospect of a lengthy homeward flight
We were able to buy as many souvenirs as we wanted without having to consider the weight of luggage on the return flight.
We did not have to endure the hassle of airport procedures and waiting before travelling home.
There were no jet lag issues as we gradually moved back into UK time and were already adjusted by the time we reached Southampton.
Because of where we live, we could be home within an hour of leaving the ship.
There was minimal handling of baggage.

If anyone is planning to fly 'one-way' then I think there are many more advantages in flying back rather than flying out. Of course, you have to endure deteriorating weather over the last few days of the cruise as you get closer to UK, but for us, this is a small price to pay.

We're looking forward to joining Arcadia's World Voyage again this year (This time in Singapore) but will then be on board for the whole journey home.

I hope these thoughts will help others considering part of a World Voyage.

Marie Lloyd
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Marie Lloyd »

We love world cruise segments because we like lots of sea days. Our ideal is a land holiday followed by a cruise back to Southampton which means, of course, the final segment or segments. We have twice had a holiday in the States then cruised back from New York and we have also done a West coast holiday plus cruise back from San Francisco and also done the Garden Route in South Africa then cruise back from Cape Town but last year we wanted to see the Great Wall of China so we flew to Sydney and then cruised 3 segments back to Southampton. This was 9 weeks and it was too long. It convinced us that we did not want to do a full world cruise.

This year we are flying out to Durban, doing the Boer War battle sites and a Safari with a Rovos Rail trip then, after a few days in Cape Town, sailing back to Southampton. We will probably hardly get off the ship.

Sadly, we are running out of places to sail back from so next year we may sail out to Valparaiso then fly back. We would like to do a full round South America cruise, but it would be too long for us. My other ambition is to fly out to Vancouver or Seattle, do an Alaska cruise, take the train through the Rocky Mountains, fly on to New York and then cruise back across the Atlantic but I don't know if I will ever get round to organising it as it doesn't seem to be available as a package.

Marie Lloyd
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Marie Lloyd »

Oh, I forgot - we have also done the Golden Triangle in India followed by the cruise back from Mumbai to Southampton. One of the best holidays we have had. India is fascinating.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Marie Lloyd wrote:
We love world cruise segments because we like lots of sea days. Our ideal is a land holiday followed by a cruise back to Southampton which means, of course, the final segment or segments. We have twice had a holiday in the States then cruised back from New York and we have also done a West coast holiday plus cruise back from San Francisco and also done the Garden Route in South Africa then cruise back from Cape Town but last year we wanted to see the Great Wall of China so we flew to Sydney and then cruised 3 segments back to Southampton. This was 9 weeks and it was too long. It convinced us that we did not want to do a full world cruise.

This year we are flying out to Durban, doing the Boer War battle sites and a Safari with a Rovos Rail trip then, after a few days in Cape Town, sailing back to Southampton. We will probably hardly get off the ship.

Sadly, we are running out of places to sail back from so next year we may sail out to Valparaiso then fly back. We would like to do a full round South America cruise, but it would be too long for us. My other ambition is to fly out to Vancouver or Seattle, do an Alaska cruise, take the train through the Rocky Mountains, fly on to New York and then cruise back across the Atlantic but I don't know if I will ever get round to organising it as it doesn't seem to be available as a package.
Oh dear, now you've made me jealous :( We have been studying avidly the last leg of the Aurora back from Cape Town but domestic circumstances have prevailed. Our daughter is moving back to our area and we have to be at home in April. I wish you all the best for your trip and I shall be following your every move with interest. The problem for us is that it will be at least a couple of years to wait for the next opportunity.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We also like the fly out, have a holiday, then cruise back schedule.

In 3 weeks time we fly to Ho Chi Minh City, spend a few days with our son and his partner who both teach out there, then fly to Singapore and spend a few days there, before joining QM2. Then we cruise back to Southampton. We'll be away just under six weeks, which is enough for us at present because we need to support our daughter who has health issues.

We have done it the other way, but flying out and cruising back works best we think.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

We flew out to Dubai last year and sailed back on Aurora. It was one of the best cruises we have ever done.

Return to “World Cruises”