Reports about cruises on Oriana

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Dennis the Menace on Oriana to the Fjords

Post by Suekersh »

kaymar wrote:
Thanks for passing these on, Sue, but you really don't need to get up at 4 in the morning to do so.

Don't know if you're looking in, little stripey one, but if you are, thank you as ever for the most interesting, well written and amusing cruise reports we have the pleasure of reading. We have not "done" the fiords but it is now sounding much more attractive.

Keep wrapped up!

:wave: :thumbup:
Always up early but not at 4 am. Usually about 5am so the forum clock must not be at BST.

Sue

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Suekersh wrote:
... so the forum clock must not be at BST.
Forum clock is just fine - however individual user's time settings may not be

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Two instalments in one day from DTM.

Great Weather Fjord Ducks

Day 6 - Stavanger
Today we spent a lazy morning in the cabin recovering from yesterday's efforts, and waiting for the rain to stop outside. It gave us a chance to look back at yesterday's photos and marvel again at that glacier. Although my in depth research had involved some pre-cruise documentary watching (Ice Age 2 - The Melt Down), I was still surprised by the glacier's vivid green streaks. Apparently that colour can change through the year, often coming through as more of a blue and reflects, I think I'm right in saying, the chemicals and ore within the rock it sits on. It really looked amazing, almost turquoise.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was one of the tunnels we went through during the coach drive to the the troll car pick up point. It was called a Troll Hole and looked to be just a tube-like piece of corrugated iron that ran, for about 500 metres, under a part of the mountain prone to avalanches during the winter. As we approached it, I thought surely we aren't going through that, it looked tiny. But go through it we did and, with flashbacks going through my head of every tunnel based disaster movie I have ever seen, 30 seconds later we popped out the other end. At which point, I discretely crossed myself and mouthed a silent thank you skywards.

Anyhoo's, having recharged all morning, we had an early lunch and went ashore to enjoy Stavanger's charms. Our timing was almost perfect as, for the first time today, the rain stopped. Sadly though, the heavens opened an hour later on our way back to the ship with a downpour of biblical proportions. Had we come back 5 minutes earlier we would have been fine. As it was we were soaked through and dripped all the way to the cabin. Before that however, we really enjoyed strolling around the old town's pretty white wooden houses that stretched right down to where a colour co-ordinated Oriana sat towering over them like an ill advised multi storey extension. It made for quite the contrast.

We also had a stroll around the inside of the cathedral which was much bigger than it looked from the outside. It was built almost entirely from stone and housed the most intricately carved pulpit. It was about 20 feet high and depicted scenes from a 3 foot Samson "holding" the whole thing up, to the Resurrection at the top. For something so ornate and elaborate, and carved in the 1600's, it was in amazing condition. It's well worth a visit I think and, having got so wet later on, I only wish we had visited it last rather first. But we haven't done too bad this cruise as it's the first time we've been caught in any proper rain - unlike yesterday afternoon's excursion to the glacier who all experienced an hour+ of constant and freezing rain - so we shouldn't complain. Also, we did have a chuckle on the way back to the ship when we spotted that the high speed passenger ferry here is called "Fjordfart". And there was me thinking that's what I was doing in Olden yesterday shortly after sinking a Mulligatawny Soup for lunch.

Then, late this afternoon, as we departed Stavanger, the shops had a 70% off sale. Apparently, despite being in the sauna at the time, I was simultaneously Christmas shopping for my wife! Net result, Mandy now has two new Guess handbags which, I'm told, I knew were perfect for her the moment I didn't see them. I'm just glad she forgot it's her birthday next month!!

Right, second and final formal night tonight and I still need to remember how to tie my bow tie.
Toodles.

Sent using the free mail.com iPad App

Topic author
Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

The final report from DTM

Day 7 - Sailing Home

Due to us seeing the late performance of the show by the brilliant Headliners last night, and my usual fatigue related issues now kicking in big time, we had a lazy lie-in this morning and a late breakfast in Al Fresco. With it being a distinct shade of North Sea grey outside, we quickly fuelled up on a bacon panini each and shot off to the cinema. They were showing a Tom Cruise movie called Oblivion which was very good. It was a bit like Star Wars meets Total Recall (plus 10 minutes of the English Patient), and the best sci-fi movie I've seen in long while. I stayed awake the whole two hours so it must have been good!

Then after Mandy did some brief packing, I treated her to lunch in the same Peninsular Restaurant we've lunched at every day, because I treat that girl like a Princess. Regretfully, we managed to sit within hearing distance (I.e the opposite side of the restaurant) of those two loud ladies from the Flam train the other day, and it was funny to hear them talking about that very trip. They were saying that, of the 30 of us in the railway carriage, everyone else was just miserable, once again completely missing the fact that they were the cause of that misery. It's said that Norway already has one of the highest suicide rates in Europe, but it came damn close to having 28 more that day. God they were dull. And incredibly loud. And in Flam no one hears you (internally) scream. Needless to say, of the 6 people sat with them at lunch today, 5 looked as miserable as sin and the other one was face down in plate of satay sauce, presumably in some kind of nut allergy based cry for help. The Jam Roly Poly was nice though :-)

Then tonight, after a final dinner, and pre/post dinner drinks enjoying pianist Claire in the Crow's Nest, we saw the second of Steve Larkins' (Freddie Mercury) shows, which was great fun again. He really is a showman and clearly passionate about Freddie and Queen. And his delivery is just the right balance of great, Freddie style, vocals and light hearted humour. Mandy especially, really loved it. Oh, and we sat a bit closer to him tonight and can confirm he (thankfully) definitely wears fake teeth, which makes his vocals even more impressive.

So anyway, I best start summing some of this up. Well, it was our 4th time on Oriana and it was a fantastic cruise once again. People always talk about the great atmosphere on Oriana and they are right. Personally, I put it down to the 'his and hers' bathroom cabinets and the increased marital harmony this results in. I think it just keeps the mystery in a relationship when a fella doesn't have to squeeze his shaving foam into just one tiny shared cabinet already bursting with your wife's cosmetic equivalent of smoke, mirrors and industrial strength trimming devices. Of course there's also a nice mix and layout of bars and restaurants on board, a purpose built cinema and a cracking theatre, but no, mostly it's the bathroom cabinets. She's showing her age now obviously, but she's still a lovely ship and always seems to have an excellent crew onboard.

The food in the restaurants has been excellent too. Mandy's dairy free meals have felt a little more restricted this cruise, but then that often depends on the experience and enthusiasm of the head waiter. But it's still a step up on dietary restricted dining shoreside, and Mand says her main courses in particular have been very good. As far as my own, strictly menu based, meals were concerned, and that of our friends Richard and Joyce, there was barely a course we didn't enjoy. They were not perfect by any means, and decent tasting mushrooms and roast potatoes continue to evade them, but overall it was pretty damn good I think.

Entertainment wise, we always love the Headliners and these were possibly the best looking troupe we have had, as I struggled with my usual first night policy of mentally selecting the dancer I would most like in my lifeboat - not in sleazy way you understand, just in a 'in the event of global holocaust/future of human race depends on us' kind of way. But this troupe looked so good, and were so talented that even Jamie, one of the three male singers, entered my thinking at one stage. Seriously though, every Headliners show we saw was terrific, especially Reel to Reel (British movie soundtracks). Steve Larkin, with his Freddie Mercury shows, was equally entertaining. He managed to "do" Freddie in a way where he wasn't so serious you felt he was trying to exactly replicate the unique talent that was Freddie, and not so slapstick that he detracted in any way from a fitting, but funny, tribute.

In terms of itinerary, it was really enjoyable. Having done a similar cruise 3 years ago, this time round we would ideally have liked to visit both Gerainger (sp?) and Flam for the first time, but this itinerary included just the one, and the Flam Railway was well worth it. And we also met our two other objectives of going back to stunning Olden, and meeting our friends in Bergen, so we did well I think. And so amazing is the scenery up here, that we fully expect to be back again, so we'll see Gerainger another time I hope. In fact I would urge everyone to visit the Fjords at least once. Sure, it's unlikely to be bikini weather, and neither do they have much by the likes of Michelangelo or Leonardo (or any of the Mutant Ninja Turtles actually), but it's one of the most beautiful places on earth and it's just a day's sailing away. If you can tear yourself away from cruising to places like the Med, as we eventually did, then you're in for a treat.

So that's me about done I think. I hope it's been of interest and apologies if it got a little wordy, naff or it just turned into a load of drivel at times, but hopefully you got the gist. It almost certainly got a little moany or grumpy at times as my normal fatigue related issues came to the fore, but hopefully you can tell that, overall, we had a real ball and thoroughly enjoyed both the cruise and Norway.

And on that note, it's God Natt from me and it's God Natt from her.

Cheers

DTM

Sent using the free mail.com iPad App

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Thanks for your amusing reports - I laughed out loud so many times :lol:

I will be visiting the Fjords again next May with my son and family - it is something he has always fancied doing so we are off during the half term school holidays (he and his wife are both teachers) - can't wait after reading your brilliant report. :clap :wave:
Janis

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Fantastic report, as always Dennis.... just a shame that you're always so negative.... "They were not perfect by any means, and decent tasting mushrooms and roast potatoes continue to evade them". You really are turning into one of those moaners we all have come to love (and avoid). :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Suekersh wrote:
Then after Mandy did some brief packing
At least you will be taking them home :lol: :lol: :crazy: :thumbup:

Belle53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Belle53 »

Great report Dennis, really enjoyed reading it, laughed out loud at some bits, thank you for taking the time to post.

cruisin_duo
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by cruisin_duo »

We have also enjoyed reading your report. Thank you.

wilson2579
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by wilson2579 »

Jan Rosser wrote:

I will be visiting the Fjords again next May with my son and family - it is something he has always fancied doing so we are off during the half term school holidays (he and his wife are both teachers) - can't wait after reading your brilliant report. :clap :wave:

I am hoping to book this cruise Jan, so it looks like we might be on another cruise at the same time.

wilson2579
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by wilson2579 »

Loved the review/blog. Very entertaining and funny. :lol:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

wilson2579 wrote:
Jan Rosser wrote:

I am hoping to book this cruise Jan, so it looks like we might be on another cruise at the same time.
Well if you do we must arrange to meet up - are you tied to school holidays like my son or is it just a coincidence? Don't forget to let us know if you go ahead with it - we've booked early because there are 7 of us with Matthew's in-laws too - can't risk leaving it for a getaway :roll:
Janis

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks all, we really had a brilliant time.

Sorry I wasn't able to post/answer directly from the Ship (and thanks to Sue for offering to copy over my emails).

Only a year now until the next one :-(.

But at least it gives me a chance to try and finish writing this book.

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

How I managed to miss this report I do not know but miss it I did until this afternoon! What can I say, I was laughing out loud and chuckling away, certainly brightened up the miserable afternoon here, belated thanks DTM from me, could you just start a topic plenty of time before you go on your next cruise please then hopefully I will see it from the beginning. Really it my own fault, I do just dip in and out and don't always check all the posts..tat will teach me!

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Lollie this was 7 months ago !

Next cruise is looking like June 2015 - is that enough notice ? ;-)

frintonite
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by frintonite »

Good to see you back DTM :lol:
AKA Ray & Sue

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”