Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 2

Post by Gill W »

Day 4 - Lisbon

What a great day it's been!

There were three P&O ships in today. Us, Ventura, and Oriana.

We arrived in a procession up the Tagus, Grand Event style, but in warm sunny weather.

We did an excursion to the Benfica FC stadium. We've been to Lisbon several times, and this was a new excursion for us, and I'm really glad we did it. It wasn't crowded like the city centre, and we found it to be very interesting (Our Benfica guide, Pedro, was a very nice looking young chap)

On our return to the ship, we sat out in perfect sunshine.

It was a brilliant sail away, with much hooting being exchanged between all the ships. Ventura was the first to go, they were having their Great British Sailaway. We were next to go. Even though it was our first Sailaway of the cruise, the entertainment team made a big effort for this three ship event. Lead by Neil Oliver, there was much dancing and singing we moved off. As we turned round in the river, Oriana came into view on our starboard side. We'd been issued with Union Jacks which we were all waving furiously at them, but I'm not sure if there was any special Sailaway happening on Oriana.

By the time we'd sailed under the bridge, it was around 6.15, so we were very pleased not to be on first sitting. We opted for the buffet, which suited us just fine.

Our entertainment this evening was Headliners in Destination Dance. We've seen This show many times before, but it was still entertaining. We could have run down to Manhattan afterwards to see Gary T Thompson's second show. But we'd only seen him the night before last, so decided to have a couple of drinks instead. Cocktail of the day is Berried Treasure - delicious!

Day 5 - 7

Three days at sea. We have been fairly lazy, just sitting on sun loungers or on the balcony. There have been a few things I would have liked to see, such as a series of WW2 talks, but as the weather is so good, it seems a shame to be indoors. We're just enjoying the sound of the waves and the relaxation. We've also had Atul Kucher on board for this segment.

We have returned to the main dining room, but with a pager for a table for two, when it is ready. This seems to be the way to go on this cruise, and it works well when there is no evening entertainment we want to see. You have to be in the Playhouse by 8.15 to get a seat for the 8.30 show. We did see Bob Arno, a pickpocket a couple of nights ago. I felt it would have been better as a day time talk, rather than an evening show, but I was entertained anyway.

I've bought myself a Radley bag. It was one I saw before I sailed, and £11 less than at home. In fact, it's 'free' as I bought it with OBC.

We've had the Peninsular Party, at which I learned there are 375 Caribbeans on this cruise, 315 Baltics, and about 100 Ligurians. Incidentally there are just two children on this cruise. I haven't found out yet what the average passenger age is, but I'd guess at the high sixties.
Gill

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Azura A322N - Black Sea - Part 2

Post by Meg 50 »

really enjoying this!

It's good in bite sized chunks too!
Meg
x

MicheleW
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MicheleW »

Loving your reports Gill and looking forward to the rest.

Michele

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I'm hanging onto your every word re ' Freedom Dining ' ;)

Talks about the ' Crimean exchanges ' were, we felt, a useful prelude for some of the Ports in the Black Sea ... weather permitting of course.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Somergirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Somergirl »

I am really enjoying your reports Gill. I had a friend on this cruise a lady called Pam, I met her in June on Azura. I was following your journey on the web cam which was very unreliable. It is nice to hear all about the cruise. I look forward to the next instalment.I really miss the blogs and reports we used to get on the P&O community site especially on the long dark winter nights when my next cruise seems a lifetime away.
So thank you for taking the time to do this.

Somergirl

arrbee
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by arrbee »

Somergirl wrote:
I am really enjoying your reports Gill. I had a friend on this cruise a lady called Pam, I met her in June on Azura. I was following your journey on the web cam which was very unreliable. It is nice to hear all about the cruise. I look forward to the next instalment.I really miss the blogs and reports we used to get on the P&O community site especially on the long dark winter nights when my next cruise seems a lifetime away.
So thank you for taking the time to do this.

Somergirl
I'm about to post my report so thought I'd read this and thought you might like to know that we sepnt the evening with Pam in Istanbul and I believe we'll also see her on Oceana in feb

Somergirl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Somergirl »

I hope you had a lovely time Arrbee, I am looking forward to your report. I met Pam on Azura in May/June we were on the same table for dinner and had such a laugh every night and caused a disturbance in the restaurant! It was the best dinner companions I have ever had, we met up for drinks every night and trips ashore. A fabulous cruise.

I have kept in touch with Pam and another lady and I do hope our cruising paths cross again soon. Thank you for letting me know you met her.
Somergirl

Return to “Azura Cruise Reports”