Zero Dark Thirty

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Zero Dark Thirty

Post by Kendhni »

The hunt for Osama Bin Laden. We are going to see this tonight (hopefully), anybody else seen it yet?

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Zero Dark Thirty

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Listened to a Mark Kemode review of it Ken and it sounds "Intersting". His ultimate feeling was that it deserved some of the controversy it's attracted as it does, at times, seem to support the use of torture by the US for the purposes of the greater good.

He felt it was a decent film but left him feeling uncomfortable.

I'd be very interested in your own thoughts if you don't mind reporting back?

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Don't give to much away though please Kendhni, it's on our 'to see' list. ;)

Topic author
Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I think the torture element has been a bit overhyped ... not much more than would have been shown in 'Green Zone' and definitely a lot less than in 'The Passion of the Christ'. It is quite slow moving , but then I suppose when something takes 10+ years not a lot happens for much of the time, however there were lots of little snippets that kept the interest going and it built the tension up well in several places. From what I am led to believe the final raid on the compound was made as accurate as possible.

Definitely worth a visit.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Definitely worth watching. As you say the torture element does last quite a while, nothing too gruesome (no worse than watching 'Uddersfield or Watford play!!) but it can make for some uneasy viewing. From thereonin it's a fascinating sequence of events over the years such as the London bombings, the attack on the Marriott hotel in Islamabad, the narrative of the hunt for Bin Laden and the subsequent raid on his compound. It's probably more for the men than the women but I found it compelling viewing.

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”