Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 1

Reports about cruises on Adonia

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 1

Post by oldbluefox »

After an uneventful journey down we booked into Ibis where we had a nice clean and comfortable room. The rest of the day was spent having a walk around the West Quay shopping centre. Mrs OBF had a slight fright when a rat appeared from the lift area and ran past her. This was soon forgotten as her eyes lit up at the sight of Marks & Spencer (what is it about that place) and then all the designer shops we don't see in Cumbria. Meanwhile I was enticed (much against my will) into Hotel Chocolat by a young lady proffering free samples of chocolate, and then relieved me of £10 in my moment of weakness. We then had a wander around IKEA and a meal of meatballs and chips. It's not exactly high cuisine but after a long hard day it was all we wanted.

After a good night's sleep we had a stroll around Southampton until time to present ourselves at check-in. We got there about 11.45 and since there was no queue we waltzed straight through checkin and security into the departure lounge where several others were waiting, not for long though as we were onboard by 12.15.

I must admit to some feelings of trepidation after the life jacket drill. We were sat at a table for four and tried to strike up polite conversation with the couple opposite. 'She' was preoccupied with her phone and 'he' clearly didn't want to talk. I didn't want to be his bosom buddy but we were left thinking 'what if our table companions are like that?' We need not have worried as when we got down to dinner we found ourselves with three very chatty and friendly couples.

The sailaway was a damp squib despite the best efforts of the Ents team. Very few people turned up so it was hardly a party atmosphere. It's not the same without the band to play you off.
My good intentions for champagne and strawberries dipped in chocolate failed to materialise as said strawberries failed to arrive. A phone call down to reception and I was informed strawberries are only served on Captain's Gala Night. Maybe it would have been helpful if P&O Southampton had made that clear when I put in my request and placed the order.
I slept like a log on my first night.

Today it has been fine and sunny but there is a stiff breeze so it's not exactly sunbathing weather and the sick bags have been out. There's a bit of rock'n'roll but I must say Adonia deals with it very effectively. We had an interesting talk this morning on the basics of digital photography and then went to a talk on Fakes and Fraud. Fascinating though it was I managed to give the backs of my eyelids another check!! Cruising really is so relaxing.

We are really pleased with our cabin. It is so much bigger than the inside cabin we had earlier in the year and the fact we can open the balcony door means we could let in some fresh air and cool the room down. The extra space is a real bonus and whilst the bathroom is not big it's quite ample. Will we be able to return to inside cabins?
Let me say there was sufficient drawer and wardrobe space although it was a bonus to be able to open our suitcase out under the bed to store any items not in immediate use - chargers, umbrellas etc.

There were one or two empty spaces at dinner last night as the ship was tossed about. Fortunately the Adonia Theatre Company were able to present one of their West End productions and very good it was too. The sea did calm down towards midnight so we had another good night's sleep. Today it is still breezy but much calmer than yesterday and we have clear blue skies.

The morning was taken up with a talk on how to improve photographs given by one of the onboard photographers. We then moved on to the Curzon Lounge for a talk on Peter the Great. This was quite illuminating; he was quite a colourful character in more ways than one! There was time for a quick lunch before the next talk, this time about The Life and Works of Carl Faberge. Again most fascinating and much better than I had expected.

Copenhagen tomorrow. No trips planned so it will be just a bit of a 'trail aboot'.

We awoke to a sunny but cold and windy Copenhagen. As we were not leaving until 7.30 there was time for a late leisurely breakfast before venturing out. As we had been to Copenhagen before we decided to visit the little mermaid (who has now been usurped by a much bustier model a couple of hundred yards before) before continuing on to the big chariot statue by the English church. From there we made our way to Amalienborg Palace where we watched the guards strolling around, gazing at who was coming and going, very different from those outside London landmarks. We then went on a walk through residential areas to Sorte Damsso, a wide stretch of inland water lined with horse chestnuts which was really pleasant. A quick walk through the park where we stood watching a heron fishing, past the Citadel brought us back to the ship. By now we were weary of battling the wind so we got back onboard and stayed there. It was a shame really as we missed the shops and the little gold train with its golden carriages full of precious gemstones.

Karlskrona is a tender port but on Adonia it seems to be unusual to be queuing long for anything so it was hardly a surprise when we got to the Curzon Lounge to get a ticket and go straight down to the tender. Once across the water we were greeted by several people presumably from the local history group dressed in period costume to welcome us to Karlskrona - a lovely touch I thought. There was then a free train to take us to the Maritime Museum which again was free. I overheard it is free between October and April but any entrance fee would have been well worth it as it was excellent. There were loads of beautiful models of sailing ships, reconstructions of various workshops to do with shipbuilding such as ropemaking, coopering, carpentry etc and some lovely exhibits outlining the rather precarious life of a sailor in those days. There was even an underwater section with windows looking out where you could see.............. nothing much!! Most of the exhibits had English translations and there were audio headsets too. Outside the museum were a couple of naval warships and a schooner type of sailing ship and a new building is taking shape to house a submarine and an underwater exploration craft.

Back on the train we headed uphill the short distance to the town centre. The train dropped us off in a large square. There was a small market selling mainly flowers and vegetables in front of a very imposing church. It was all rather insignificant but a street down from the square there were more shops, an H&M, a McDonalds and a very modern shopping mall. Apart from the shops and the museum there is little else in Karlskrona - but let us not forget the warmth of the welcome and its friendly people.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 1

Post by Manoverboard »

So far, so good ... welcome back :wave:

Your Copenhagen walk-a-bout was like just ours but without any snow ;) and Karlskrona sounds far more interesting than I thought it would be.

ps ... glad you mentioned the little mermaid, I thought exactly the same thing ).).
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 1

Post by Dancing Queen »

Sounding good so far Foxy will look forward to Part 2 :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Oh and welcome back.
Jo

Return to “Adonia Cruise Reports”