Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 2

Reports about cruises on Adonia

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 2

Post by oldbluefox »

We awoke to a rather overcast day but it seemed the wind had dropped and it was a bit warmer. We were looking forward to going ashore in Visby. However the idea was soon quashed by the Captain's announcement that due to the swell one of the tenders had been damaged against the pontoon and it may not be possible to land. The situation would be reviewed in two hours time. A further announcement was made shortly before noon that weather conditions had not improved and we would be aborting our planned visit to Visby. At that the sun came out!! Sadly we left Visby and set sail for Stockholm. Not the best 24 hours - City lost to a goalkeeping error and we missed a port but as they say "worse things happen at sea". On a more positive note and ironically we enjoyed some of the best weather, followed by the most gorgeous sunset, since we left Southampton.

Red sky at night certainly was true as we woke to a most beautiful autumn morning sailing in between the islands into Stockholm. It really is a spectacle with its little summer houses set amongst the trees, many of which were now wearing their autumn coats and the colours were beautiful. Once ashore we made our way to Tourist information where we embarked on a game of 20 questions in a bid to go and see Vasa. The game went like this:
Q: we would like to see Vasa. Can you tell us how to get there?
A: on a tram.
Q: which tram would we need?
A: there's only one tram.
Q: where would we catch it?
A: over there.
Q: where do we buy tickets?
A: here!........

...........and so it went on. Having asked all the right questions of the young lady who was reluctant to freely offer information we found the tram and were soon at the Vasa Museum. And what a magnificent museum it is! The ship itself is quite amazing and there are loads of displays, reconstructions and artefacts covering all aspects of the ship, its sailors, life on board, its sinking and of course its recovery and restoration. It sank on its maiden voyage and lay on the harbour bottom for 300 years. Fortunately pollution in the water and the mud prevented decay so the ship is 95% complete. For those of a certain generation the Vasa story was covered in one of the Wide Range reading books so you will know what I am talking about. All in all it's easy to DIY and if you are pretty mobile is easy to walk to once you get your bearings so you don't need the tram or the lass in TIC - well worth going to.

In the afternoon and after a couple of slices of jam rolypoly we returned into town for a walk around the old town. Stockholm is a lovely place to wander around with its old cobbled streets, some rather grand buildings and its waterways. For the dedicated shopper there are some very nice shops and shopping malls in its pedestrianised streets. We left Stockholm at 6.30 just as it was getting dark and sailed past twinkling lights out to sea.

In the evening we were entertained by Stephen Garcia, a comedy magician who was very amusing.

It was still dark at 6.30 when the alarm went off. We awoke to a damp and overcast St Petersburg day. Time for a quick breakfast before assembling in the Curzon Lounge. We then went through the formalities of Russian immigration control and I must say the new facilities are much better than the old scrap yard where we used to dock. Fair enough they were virtually deserted apart from countless officials. On to the coach and an hour's journey through heavy St Petersburg traffic to the Palace of Peterhof. Bags handed in, coats handed in and little blue overshoes put on and we were ready for our visit. Peterhof is truly a wonderful experience. The opulence and splendour of its rooms is amazing, in particular the first room with a dazzling display of mirrors, chandeliers and ornate carvings covered in gold leaf. I find it difficult to comprehend how, even in war, anybody would lay to waste such a beautiful building. It has now been restored and the craftsmanship throughout is remarkable. Little wonder they are so anxious to preserve it. We could not help but notice there was no shortage of staff, mainly more mature ladies who seemed to have perfected the art of not smiling and were at times distinctly grumpy!

Having retrieved coats and bags we went outside to view the fountains and parkland. The leaves on the trees had already turned a glorious gold providing an appropriate backdrop to the splendour and magnificence of the fountains. What we saw inside was now matched outside and even though it was raining the rain did not detract from their beauty.

We now boarded the aerofoil for the return to the ship, a new experience and we were soon back in St Petersburg.

Day Two in St Petersburg and another early start to the day as we again brave the traffic on our way to Catherine Palace with a guide who looked like Lenin and sounded like Alexander the meerkat. Considering the way cars carve each other up I am amazed there are not more accidents. However they certainly seem to have solved the problem of middle lane hoggers. They simply undertake them.

Catherine Palace was very similar to Peterhof, also having been laid waste by the Nazis and been restored to what it is today. The rooms were equally as sumptuous with their beautiful carvings and plasterwork, all gilded in gold leaf. The amber room was lovely but not at all what I expected - much smaller but nonetheless quite spectacular considering the value of amber. Personally I preferred Peterhof and its splendid fountains. The trees in both places were spectacular in their mantles of gold. Similarly the ladies who staffed the Palace were equally as fierce and stony-faced, unlike the lovely blonde-haired young lady who checked my wife's passport this morning. I tried to use the same booth but was directed away to her miserable companion next door. The story of my life - so near yet so far!

As we were leaving a Hummer stretch limousine pulled up in front of us and out stepped a Russian bride. I resisted the well known football chant "You don't know what you're doin'" as she received an impromptu cheer and round of applause. Amazingly on her feet she wore Doc Martin type boots in white and beige with gold toecaps!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic Part 2

Post by Manoverboard »

Oh dear, so sorry to read that you didn't get to see fascinating Visby but hopefully there will be another time.

Peterhof Fountains in the pouring rain also brings back memories, I have the pictures somewhere :lol: also a bride or two somwhere in the city with the memorial flame ... obviously I need to check her shoes.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

Loved your conversation with the tourist (lack of info) lady

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Enjoying your report, but what a shame you missed Visby, it's a delightful little place. I went there on my very first cruise, on the Educational Ship SS Nevasa back in 1968!
Gill

Return to “Adonia Cruise Reports”