Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic last part!

Reports about cruises on Adonia

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic last part!

Post by oldbluefox »

After calm seas in an electrical storm when it absolutely tipped it down we awoke to a bright and sunny morning where light clothing was the order of the day. From all the literature we anticipated Sassnitz to be a quiet, insignificant port and how wrong we were. A short shuttle bus ride took us to the centre of this little town from whence we walked down a suspended pedestrian walkway to the quayside. Rather incongruously there is a British submarine, the HMS Otus, now a museum, tied up. It made for an interesting half hour's exploration clambering through the narrow confines of this vessel and appreciating the lives of the men who 'sailed' in her. We then strolled in the warm autumn sun along the water front to the harbour which was busy with visitors keen to go on the numerous pleasure boats along the coast to see the chalk cliffs. There also plenty of opportunities to sample seafood either on land or on water. From there it was a short climb up steps to the main street and Netto, where we managed to stock up on our chocolate stocks. Sassnitz has a small array of shops which, judging by the number of bags being carried onboard had been well visited.

Whilst Sassnitz is limited in its attractions it is a delightful port with plenty of little shops, friendly shopkeepers and a busy, lively quayside. Off now to the Kiel Canal.

We entered the Kiel Canal lock about 8.30 on a dull, wet and dismal day. The canal is probably much wider than it looks as we passed by some very large container ships. As the rain eased it was very pleasant passing through the German countryside sat on the balcony with a coffee watching the world go by. Meanwhile three of the ship's crew were cycling the 70 miles or so of the canal's length in aid of McMillan nurses.

Shortly before lunch we observed an interesting tradition. By the bridge is a small restaurant whose owner plays our national anthem as loud as he can to British cruise ships passing through. The captain responds by blowing the ship's whistle and acknowledging the courtesy by a wave or salute from the bridge. Quite a crowd had gathered both onboard and onshore and much friendly waving ensued.

By 6.30 the landscape had changed from rural to a more industrial side of Germany with many chemical plants and storage silos. Still enormous container ships passed us by and we tied up alongside to await clearance into the lock and also to pick up our three cold, wet and tired cyclists after 68 miles of pedalling. By now the sun was setting on a most interesting, unusual and fascinating day.

One day at sea ahead of us now back to Blighty after a wonderful cruise.

Best ports: Stockholm -Vasa Museum was excellent and such a lovely city. St Petersburg for its rich history.
Best small port : Sassnitz - a charming little port with friendly people.
Best experience - Kiel Canal

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Foxy's Adventure in the Baltic last part!

Post by Jan Rosser »

Sounds as if you had a good time Foxy - just finished reading your reports - whetted my appetite for a trip on Adonia especially the Kiel Canal part - I've done the Panama, Suez and the Corinth so good to compare and I've not done the Baltics so interesting to read your experiences. One thing missing though you didn't mention food much so do I take it you didn't eat a lot :roll: Hope you haven't lost weight :lolno:
Janis

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Great report OBF. This is on our must do list particularly on Adonia.

Sue

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Food, Jan? Me? Nay lass!!! :lol:

I enjoyed all my food, including a wonderful steak in Sorrento (although having the hot lava rock 12" from the end of my nose brought sweat to my brow!!). Whilst it is not exactly Michelin standard we did have some very good meals on Adonia (the Beef Wellington was lovely as were some of the fish dishes, and some lovely lamb, and Lancashire hotpot and some of the curries at lunchtime were excellent). The only disappointing meal I had was some slow-cooked beef which I anticipated would be really tender and it was as tough as shoe leather. After that I avoided many of the beef dishes, much to the amusement of my table companions who had it and said it was beautiful!!

Porridge for breakfast this morning!! :(

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Porridge ... how the Mighty have fallen :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

OBF

Thanks for your excellent reports

Push came to shove

I concur that the Baltic's edged it as Betty and Graham's most memorable cruise sojourns x three cruises

St Petersburgh was magic for us, being a UK NT volunteer, we were on an exchange guest of the equivalent St 'Petes NT

Halcyon days - long gone
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Lovely memories, though, Graham

Thanks for posting your review Foxy. The Kiel canal transit sound fab, I've become something of a canal fan, so its something I'd like to do. Also, it must have been nice to go to some different ports.

All part of the small ship advantage of course, but I would be quite nervous about committing two weeks to a small ship, as I do prefer the bigger ships. If they did a weekender on Adonia I'd give it a try
Gill

arcadialover
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by arcadialover »

Great review, we love Adonia. Well done to the ships crew for cycling to raise money for such a brilliant charity.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Great review Foxy thanks for sharing :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jo

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Really enjoyed reading your reports OBF

Shrimp13
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Shrimp13 »

So pleased you managed your itinery this time ensuring you got your beloved jam roly poly OBF. Cant remember if you managed it last year on Ventura. :lol: Regards Marie (10) from old P&O forum

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome Marie to the forum.

I missed out on Ventura. They had jam rolypoly on a port day and by the time we got back they had cleared it away!! :(

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Thanks for your report. This is the one we are doing next September so found it very interesting. May have a few questions nearer the time, sounds as if you had a good time, despite missing the one port.

Carole

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

If you have any questions Carole PM me or put up a request on the forum and I'll do my best. I feel sure others will be able to help out too.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

OBF, thank you very much. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. It sounds a great trip.

Carole

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

Many thanks for three great reports OBF. We are seriously thinking about the Adonia cruise in Kiel week next summer but we are holding out as two very good friends are urging us to go with them defecting to Cunard. I love those German Baltic ports, and I am looking forward to the Kiel canal.

Unusual to have a problem with the Swedes, I had 25 years of business travelling to Stockholm and I enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps she was just young and not confident in English.

Best wishes to you and Robina.

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Thank you for your report.. I always enjoy reading other's cruising adventures.

We visited Peterhof, grounds/fountains only. It was lovely, but the guide rushed us round, and one couple got a good ear bashing from the guide they had got separated from the group after being told not to!! There was a bit of muttering about not being school children. Are they more relaxed about foreign visitors now, this was about two years ago. We also went to Katherine's palace. How wonderful it is, but it is no wonder there was a revolution, all that grandeur for them and poverty for the masses. While we were there, it was very hot indeed everywhere we went. it was July.
Jay

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Frank Manning wrote:

Unusual to have a problem with the Swedes, I had 25 years of business travelling to Stockholm and I enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps she was just young and not confident in English.

I think it was the iPhone malaise. We passed by later in the day and she was still playing with it. She probably won't last long in that job. I agree it's unusual for Sweden.

Return to “Adonia Cruise Reports”