Kendhni
Ex Team Member

What will the dress code be onboard?

Post by Kendhni »

This is another common question and there is more informayion at this link

Serendipity
Third Officer
Third Officer

Re: What will the dress code be onboard?

Post by Serendipity »

Thank you.

bassman67
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by bassman67 »

But it seems to be changed daily..............

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

You should be able access an outline of anticipated numbers of different dress codes (maybe something like 5 formal, 4 semi and 5 elegant casual on a 12 nighter, for example) from your cruise personaliser. Explanations of what each type of dress code means can be found on the cruise line website.

However, don't worry unduly - it may well be that you don't want to dine in the MDR every formal night; and there are always either other dining venues or the choice of eating in.

Finding out is part of the fun prior to a cruise - and planning, of course too, but don't worry - it'll all be great fun.

Em :D

Mr-big-bits-mk2
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Mr-big-bits-mk2 »

I'm not sure if this is at all relevent but i guess i'm not the only t shirt and jeans person who's found he's booked a cruise on a ship that has black tie nights and was full of dread.

Personaly after 1 minute in the MDR i was having a grand time in my best bib and tucker and felt quite at home as just about every other person was dressed the same.

It sounds scarey but i'd guess that many will be like me and actualy end up loving it.

There's something quite unique about standing on the balcony of a fine ship looking at the sunset in your new DJ and dickie holding a glass of fine wine and stood next to you is the wife looking fabulous in her new cocktail dress.

Give it a try.

orchid
Cadet
Cadet

Post by orchid »

You might want to take something Tropical, for a tropical night, even if it dosen't state it on cruise personaliser, as we had one and none of the passengers were given advance warning.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Boris+ wrote:
You should be able access an outline of anticipated numbers of different dress codes (maybe something like 5 formal, 4 semi and 5 elegant casual on a 12 nighter, for example) from your cruise personaliser. Em :D

That's my kind of cruise Em. 5 + 4 + 5 nights = 14, on a 12 nighter. A bargain, where do I book! :lol:

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

misterbigbits wrote:
I'm not sure if this is at all relevent but i guess i'm not the only t shirt and jeans person who's found he's booked a cruise on a ship that has black tie nights and was full of dread.

Personaly after 1 minute in the MDR i was having a grand time in my best bib and tucker and felt quite at home as just about every other person was dressed the same.

It sounds scarey but i'd guess that many will be like me and actualy end up loving it.

There's something quite unique about standing on the balcony of a fine ship looking at the sunset in your new DJ and dickie holding a glass of fine wine and stood next to you is the wife looking fabulous in her new cocktail dress.

Give it a try.
Misterbigbits

What a lovely post. I can feel the sea air and the sound of the waves here.

On our last cruise the dress codes that were listed in PDF form from the P&O website stated there was to be a 60's & 70's but once on board it was Country & Western. I had something for the former but not the latter. Ho hum just wait & see, it depends in what mood the Cruise Director is in. The one we had last was a miserable so and so as they lost £50 bet on Andy Murray loosing. Sorry off subject there.

We are on Cuanard later in the year and they have recently got rid of the Smart Casual dress so it's either Black Tie or Semi Formal ( or whatever they call it). As this cruise we are going on is a fly cruise it kind of scuppers on what to take. Any advice would be appreciated. I'll ask about this elsewhere for answers.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Melsea

Semi formal on Cunard is more or less the same as on P&O, a nice dress or trousers with a nice top, the main difference is for the men, they have always had to wear a jacket ( smart casual - no tie required ) and I believe they have now relaxed semi formal, a jacket is still required with or without a tie.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Cunard is nowhere near as formal as some seem to think.
Jo

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Thanks Jo

A little confused as Cunard has dropped the casual dress code and it is as follows from my cruise Personaliser. Infact they have just two dress codes.

Evening Attire
1. Formal
Dinner jacket, tuxedo or dark suit with tie for gentlemen.
A range of gentlemen's formal wear is available to hire on board ship.
Evening or cocktail dress for ladies

2. Informal
Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen
Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

When we were booked on her for the World which we had to cancel there were three dress codes, have they done away with the third one? Not too worried as I like the dressing up but as our one in October is that we fly there only not back I have to really be careful with the weight, may have to get extra allowance maybe.

Mel

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Hi Melsea

Yes they've done away with the "elegant casual", I think it is something that has only happened in the last few months as there were definitely 3 when we were on QE in December, my cruise personaliser for the two we have booked just state the two, tbh I don't think anyone will really notice any difference I think it is probably more to do with men wearing jackets and somehow the word casual doesn't give that impression.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

We've had a couple of outings now with this new 2 level dress code - and people are just doing 'their own thing' basically.

A formal is a formal - end of story.

The new more relaxed dress code of 'Informal' - well some people are going along with a nice knee length-ish dress or really nice trouser suits, or nice trousers and matching 'posh' top, and the gentlemen are wearing either suits or trousers and sports jackets/blazers. Ties are no longer mandatory on an 'Informal' evening - but currently we feel that we have seen the majority of gentlemen wearing ties.

What we have done so far on an Informal - if it has been a busy port day for us, then perhaps himself won't wear a tie with his trousers and sports jacket; and I'll just have a really nice pair of trousers with a matching/mixing top and matching accessories. If is has not been a busy day for us then himself will go for a suit with shirt and tie, and I'll go for a dress (with wrap or jacket) and matching accessories.

I get the feeling that people are a bit confused - especially those who have had several cruises with Cunard before.

We've gone downstairs after dinner on an 'Informal' evening, and nobody seems to be completely informal in their choice of attire.

Oh well - onwards and upwards.

Em :)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I don't see how people that have cruised with Cunard before are confused Em ?? we have been cruising with them since 1994 and I'm definitely not confused :D I would have thought regular Cunarders would have no problem.

It is no different to when P&O did away with "informal" that didn't confuse ( or maybe it did :roll: )

Just take casual out of the equation on Cunard and what has changed other than the men don't have to wear a tie on Informal nights if they choose not to, actually it will make no difference to my husband if he's wearing a suit he wouldn't dream of not wearing a tie, I never did casual anyway as I really enjoy the dressing up so it is always a minimum of Informal for me but I don't have a problem with how others interpret dress codes.
Jo

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi DQ,

It's simple the impression we got from other passengers, that's all.

Some people just didn't feel content or comfortable, and there were (albeit muted) moans. Some people were disappointed, others didn't want changes - etc.

That's all, it's just simply how people felt about it recently - we decided to 'do our own thing'; we preferred it the way it was, and other people felt that way too.

However, we are well aware that no two cruises are the same - changes in staff and passengers (and obviously itinerary and weather) are all critical factors. I suppose we'll just have to make our 'research' open ended then! What a lovely idea.

However many cruises anyone had done in the past didn't come into the equation, it's (sorry to repeat this) simply the reaction we felt, saw and heard onboard.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

As we have never been on Cunard before, we will be sailing on Queen Elizabeth in October. I will be looking through new fresh eyes on this & invariably be making comparisons to P&O. Having said that I shall look at it from the perspective of what I was expecting from Cunard and what we actually got.
So with this in mind I shall report my findings.

Can't wait as this trip includes us staying in Venice for two nights and travelling home on the Orient Express.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Well, it won't be long before you start to think about packing then! October is only just around the corner.

Have a truly wonderful time, and please let us know your thoughts - and especially the start of your cruise.

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Boris+ wrote:
Well, it won't be long before you start to think about packing then! October is only just around the corner.

Have a truly wonderful time, and please let us know your thoughts - and especially the start of your cruise.

Thanks..

That's an understatement as we have a cruise before that one and I haven't even started packing for that, we sail next Tuesday week...

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

That's the way to do it!

Em ;)

Southwinds
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Southwinds »

For info many people believe Princess may be toooo casual. But in fact although they have smart casual and formal... We saw very smart dress and men in suits and cocktail dresses on the smart casual night.

If you have been in a hotel while a wedding took place ? Well princess is rather like that... There are a handful of folk not dressed around the ship in on a formal night but it makes no difference to those enjoying the evening dressed to the nines.... No you can't use the MDR and a few bars if you arnt conforming but really these days ships are rather like a resort at sea rather than a hotel.

Southwinds
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Southwinds »

How odd, traditionally , first and last ...and port days would be casual....no jacket....why drop that option?

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Southwinds wrote:
How odd, traditionally , first and last ...and port days would be casual....no jacket....why drop that option?
Wearing a jacket has no purpose apart from acting as a ticket to get into certain venues. You could wear a lumberjacks jacket and still be compliant with the dress code. They do not add to the ambience of the evening as there are so many different styles and colours. You don't need one to keep warm or keep dry. You don't need the extra pockets as you are only carrying your cruise card etc etc.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

davecttr wrote:
Southwinds wrote:
Wearing a jacket has no purpose apart from acting as a ticket to get into certain venues. You could wear a lumberjacks jacket and still be compliant with the dress code. They do not add to the ambience of the evening as there are so many different styles and colours. You don't need one to keep warm or keep dry. You don't need the extra pockets as you are only carrying your cruise card etc etc.
My thoughts precisely. The ladies don't have to wear a jacket.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
The ladies don't have to wear a jacket.
That's because WE have to carry all their "bits 'n bobs" around in jacket pockets :crazy: :crazy:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
The ladies don't have to wear a jacket.
That's because WE have to carry all their "bits 'n bobs" around in jacket pockets :crazy: :crazy:
How about a man bag? It's Christmas soon, still time to drop a few hints :)

Ocean World Travel
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Ocean World Travel »

Hello,
you received many nice comments.
The dress code depends on the cruise line. It is normally stated on their website.

If you enjoy a bit of reading I would suggest you to read the first day onboard of a first time cruiser : http://www.oceanworldtravel.com/my-firs ... anitquity/

Return to “New to Cruising”