P&O Australia

Discussions about anything related to Oceana

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

P&O Australia

Post by Silver_Shiney »

A little while ago, there was a rumour going round that Oceana was being transferred to the Australian fleet in 2015.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: P&O Australia

Post by davecttr »

The rumours on the P&O forums elsewhere is she will be taking over from Ventura doing fly cruises from Venice etc. Ventura is too big for the new Venice regulations and I suspect Oceana fits the fly cruise ethic better than the more traditional P&O ships.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

davecttr wrote:
The rumours on the P&O forums elsewhere is she will be taking over from Ventura doing fly cruises from Venice etc. Ventura is too big for the new Venice regulations and I suspect Oceana fits the fly cruise ethic better than the more traditional P&O ships.
That would be a great loss. One fewer proper ship to choose from.

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
davecttr wrote:
At least Venice is a tad easier to get to than Oz :(
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Considering Britannia comes on-stream in 2015 it seems logical that Ventura could be sent to Oz thus maintaining two large family friendly P&O ships. Hopefully if Oceana is to sail out of Venice on fly cruises P&O will come up with some imaginative itineraries.

Personally I would be delighted if P&O did retain Oceana.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
davecttr wrote:
At least Venice is a tad easier to get to than Oz :(
True, but Venice is not a great turn-around port.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
It is for some cruise ships. When we were in Venice the berth across from us was "turning a ship around"

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
It is for some cruise ships. When we were in Venice the berth across from us was "turning a ship around"
I mean, not from the passenger's point of view. We called in there on Arcadia last year when some 20,000 passenger movements were taking place on the Sunday a and the port and transport was in chaos. Actually our first ever cruise was a fly-cruise on Royal Caribbean in 2002 on Splendour of the Seas. The cruise was ok but the embarkation was a bit of an ordeal. Still, the views of Venice were great, probably the best way to see it is on a cruise ship sailing ou.

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

The ban on ships over 96,000 GRT has now been (at least temporarily) overturned. However, given how far in advance cruise itineraries have to be planned, it makes sense for P&O to schedule their cruises for a ship that won't be affected by the ban if it is re-instated.

davecttr
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by davecttr »

Oceana is safe for the 2015 season but what about 2016?

It might be significant that two HAL ships are transferring to P&O Australia starting next year and Oceana might be safe for a few more years.

If P&O get rid of a ship it is my guess it will be Oriana which is old and has few balcony cabins. Being adult only she is also less flexible in deployment.

Or maybe P&O will try to maintain the 8 ships fleet.

Return to “About Oceana”