Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Now we Know

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
QB
is it?
pray tell, apart from being a boat, what else is it? :wtf:
:roll: 'She' is a ship, not a boat. All proper ships have a soul. You landlubbers are all the same, I bet you don't even bother to sacrifice a virgin to Poseidon before setting sail either.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I've had the brochure and think the interior looks stunning.

Like a top class West End hotel. I love it.

Whether I'll sail on her/it next year remains to be seen. I'll see how it's selling :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I think we can assume that like all new ships before her she'll be slagged off and condemned by people who have set their minds against her before her keel was laid. It happened with Azura, it happened with Ventura. In fact, go back to the launch of Oriana. "She's far too big. Won't be like Canberra".

I'm happy to wait and make up my own mind on the Maiden. Then I'll let you know what I think, but IU won't be daft enough or arrogant enough to assume everyone will agree. We all like different things. :clap:

The Girl
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by The Girl »

I am very much with Mervyn and Trish to much negativity without the full info such as travelling on board but each to their own

All booked and confirmed on the maiden just waiting for cabin number

cannot wait for this special event the ports in this case are not so important

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Gill W wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
Ok this ship is glitzy and glamorous and I suppose that's what lots of people want from a cruise. I don't think it will be for us.
Have you looked at the P & O Website or the mailshot that has recently been sent?

The decor is in very neutral colours - certainly not glitzy.

I some people are already writing off this ship based on their own preconceptions.
Yes I have looked at everything I can about the ship. I suppose we all have preconceptions about a ship, yours is that you think you will love her, mine is that I wouldn’t. I didn’t actually say I didn’t like the look of of the interior, I meant it was glitzy and glamorous in comparison to the only ships Ive been on , the Oriana and the Aurora. It isn’t for us for exactly the same reason we wouldn’t book the Azura or the Ventura, too big a ship and too many people.Good luck to those who have pre-registered, and want to do the maiden voyage, although it does put me in mind of those who are willing to sleep on the pavement for days outside an outlet selling a new must have Apple product. Also not for me. :D

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'm hoping that I will enjoy my cruise on Britannia and she has a lot of things that I'll like. But I'll only know for sure after I've sailed on her, but I'll be boarding with a positive attitude.

I've been on Oriana and Aurora too, and thoroughly enjoyed my cruises on those ships. I think that there are more similarities than differences between ships in the P&O fleet, and I'd never rule out a cruise on any of them.

I'm not quite as keen on smaller ships, but I'd like to try Adonia - I wouldn't just discard her as being not for us, without trying first.

I've never been on a maiden voyage before, and might not get a chance again. This particular maiden ticks the right boxes for us, including having my birthday during the cruise. Why not secure a cabin as soon as possible, when you know exactly what you want? All I need to do now is look forward to my cruise - that IS for me.
Gill

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Gill W wrote:
I'm hoping that I will enjoy my cruise on Britannia and she has a lot of things that I'll like. But I'll only know for sure after I've sailed on her, but I'll be boarding with a positive attitude.

I've been on Oriana and Aurora too, and thoroughly enjoyed my cruises on those ships. I think that there are more similarities than differences between ships in the P&O fleet, and I'd never rule out a cruise on any of them.

I'm not quite as keen on smaller ships, but I'd like to try Adonia - I wouldn't just discard her as being not for us, without trying first.

I've never been on a maiden voyage before, and might not get a chance again. This particular maiden ticks the right boxes for us, including having my birthday during the cruise. Why not secure a cabin as soon as possible, when you know exactly what you want? All I need to do now is look forward to my cruise - that IS for me.

Why would I waste a lot of money trying a ship I pretty sure I wouldn't like. I like a suite so I would be paying rather a lot of money out to simply waste on a ship I am unsure I'd like. I know I don't like crowds of people, so why would I want to go on a large ship with thousands more people. I'm not in a position to try out ships for 3 or 4 days. Good for you if you are happy to book a cruise on this new ship. I wouldn't be. Why can't you simply accept that we are all different. Nothing to do with being positive. All about being realistic.

Jonty S1
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Jonty S1 »

We have only been on the smaller ships, Adonia (old), Aurora and Arcadia. Perfectly happy with all three
and at this stage see no need to experiment. Will look forward to the reviews. Meanwhile Emjay about this Bolly..............do you think it would help me sleep? (thinking of bolly, P&O had taken it off the wine list, no chance it's back?).

Night,night. :wave:

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

I quite like the look of the Christmas cruise

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

emjay45 wrote:
Gill W wrote:

Why would I waste a lot of money trying a ship I pretty sure I wouldn't like. I like a suite so I would be paying rather a lot of money out to simply waste on a ship I am unsure I'd like. I know I don't like crowds of people, so why would I want to go on a large ship with thousands more people. I'm not in a position to try out ships for 3 or 4 days. Good for you if you are happy to book a cruise on this new ship. I wouldn't be. Why can't you simply accept that we are all different. Nothing to do with being positive. All about being realistic.

I completely accept that we are all different - indeed, I did mention I wasn't so keen on the smaller ships(I did cruise on Artemis), but I just find it disappointing that a ship can be dismissed before it's even in service. That's all I'm saying
Gill

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Jonty S1 wrote:
We have only been on the smaller ships, Adonia (old), Aurora and Arcadia. Perfectly happy with all three
and at this stage see no need to experiment. Will look forward to the reviews. Meanwhile Emjay about this Bolly..............do you think it would help me sleep? (thinking of bolly, P&O had taken it off the wine list, no chance it's back?).

I actually think of old Adonia, Aurora and Arcadia as medium sized ships, and have had excellent cruises on all of those. Indeed, I'm on Arcadia this Christmas. It's new Adonia that I think of as a smaller ship.
Gill

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Gill W wrote:
I completely accept that we are all different - indeed, I did mention I wasn't so keen on the smaller ships(I did cruise on Artemis), but I just find it disappointing that a ship can be dismissed before it's even in service. That's all I'm saying
We've sailed on all except the Adonia and Ventura and the only one we absolutely hated was Azura so we feel pretty certain that Britannia will not be for us based on what we have seen so far. We have reached the age where we know what we like and what we want and have no appetite for experimentation. It's a big world out there with plenty of things left that we want to see and do and we can't waste our diminishing resources on something we won't like when we could be doing something much more attractive. Bon voyage to all those who have booked a cruise on her and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Jonty S1 wrote:

Well it helps me sleep. ;) No unless it's changed since last April I don't think Bollinger is on the wine list. Since we've been cruising it's only ever been Lanson.

Kendhni
Ex Team Member

Post by Kendhni »

Kendhni wrote:
I quite like the look of the Christmas cruise
Just talking to Julie, I think we will probably be booking this one. :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

emjay45 wrote:
Good luck to those who have pre-registered, and want to do the maiden voyage, although it does put me in mind of those who are willing to sleep on the pavement for days outside an outlet selling a new must have Apple product. :D

I accept the ship and the Maiden voyage are not for you, but slightly different, I think, form your example.

A new Apple phone/tablet etc bought a month after launch will be exactly the same product as the one bought on day one, so I quite agree, not worth queuing all night.

On the other hand there will never be another Maiden voyage for a ship, and our experience of the one we did, Azura, was that is was different from a regular cruise. More known entertainers for example, and one or two other extras too.

Plus we didn't have to sleep on the pavement to get our booking in for Britannia. Just a phone call did it. No discomfort at all. ;)

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
emjay45 wrote:
Good luck to those who have pre-registered, and want to do the maiden voyage, although it does put me in mind of those who are willing to sleep on the pavement for days outside an outlet selling a new must have Apple product. :D

I accept the ship and the Maiden voyage are not for you, but slightly different, I think, form your example.

A new Apple phone/tablet etc bought a month after launch will be exactly the same product as the one bought on day one, so I quite agree, not worth queuing all night.

On the other hand there will never be another Maiden voyage for a ship, and our experience of the one we did, Azura, was that is was different from a regular cruise. More known entertainers for example, and one or two other extras too.

Plus we didn't have to sleep on the pavement to get our booking in for Britannia. Just a phone call did it. No discomfort at all. ;)
I take your point. I was being a little facetious. I realise there would be no discomfort in booking a maiden cruise. I meant some people have to do or have something first. I'm just not one of them.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Understand the irony in your post Emjay. But we don't want to do it because we have to be first, in fact we've already noted the Maiden Cruise is number B502, so it is entirely possible they'll slip in a B501 quickie as they did with Ventura, and that won't worry us at all. Not desperate to be the first to pee in the loo or sleep in the bed. We just enjoyed the atmosphere and the little extras we got on the Azura maiden and fancy doing it again. :thumbup:

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Perhaps 501 will be a freebie for those invited to the naming ceremony

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

If I remember Azura's Maiden was something A002, probably just in case, and A001 never happened.

I suspect they've done it that way so they don't get the furore they did with Ventura when they slipped one in.

I notice that Royal Princess did two three night pre-Maidens last year. Actually seems sensible to make sure everything works and the crew know what they're doing before the "main event".

But if it is a freebie for the naming ceremony guests, surely we must be on the list this time!!!!!

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

I will reserve judgement, till I have seen some real life reviews rather than uninformed opinion :wave:
Nihil Obstat

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Dark Knight wrote:
I will reserve judgement, till I have seen some real life reviews rather than uninformed opinion :wave:
Not completely uninformed. There are enough images and simulations available to form an accurate opinion.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Qbob
all anyone has seen is a few mock ups and some PR spin
if that's enough for you ,then well done you
Me I prefer informed real world reviews and people's experience to give me a sense of the boat nd will wait till the bugs have been ironed out
who knows what the boat will be like based on a few photo shopped images?
Nihil Obstat

Return to “Britannia Cruises 2015”