Have you ever found yourself on a cruise ships VIP list?

Anything related to the Britannia Project

Topic author
ITWA Travel Writer
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Have you ever found yourself on a cruise ships VIP list?

Post by ITWA Travel Writer »

All that is being said here about officers at tables etc. is a very ‘British’ thing. :sarcasm: If you have ever sailed on a European cruise line ship, as opposed to one aimed at the UK market, they do not allow officers to sit with the passengers in the MDR except at the ‘Captains Dinner’ and then only once per cruise.

They also have ‘Hotel Managers’ as opposed to ‘Executive Pursers’, which in today’s cruise industry they actually are. My experience of the ships purser in the old days was that he was inevitably a bit of a jack the lad and into all the fiddles. I could tell you some tails about pursers, but I will rest my case by reminding you all that John Prescott was a purser!! :o :o

Brits really are just, too snobby for their own good and if some sensible mortal were to interject and make comments about overbearing, overdressed, upstairs downstairs attitudes then they are lambasted as being an “inverted snob” by those who aspire to be something they are not and never will be. :sick:
John

Qui descendunt mare in navibus.

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Brits really are just, too snobby for their own good and if some sensible mortal were to interject and make comments about overbearing, overdressed, upstairs downstairs attitudes then they are lambasted as being an “inverted snob” by those who aspire to be something they are not and never will be. :sick:[/quote]

As I get called an inverted snob on a weekly basis by those aspirational wannabee's I have to agree and PandO showcases the worst of this type, to a tee
Nihil Obstat

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

oldbluefox wrote:
Am I alone in not bothering whether we get an officer on the table or not and quite happy to shun the limelight? There are occasions where you get into conversation with crew (officer or not) and the conversation just flows but there are other times when you can tell an officer has been placed on a table or is attending yet another Captain's welcome aboard party and it can be like stirring treacle. I sometimes feel sorry for some of the officers when they are nobbled and can't get away.
Similarly it can happen from the passengers' point of view. We were once graced with the Captain on our table (many moons ago) and he spent the whole time telling us about his big house and his dogs!! :yawn: Fortunately there were some on the table who kept him occupied. :thumbup:
No you are not alone,

As we opt for tables for 2, we are never going to have an officer at our table, and that suits me fine.
Gill

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I think I would make an exception for James Cusack.No need to say anything, he would keep you entertained all evening.

Return to “The Britannia Project”