E409 - From a Caribbean Island to a Channel Island.

Reports about cruises on Oceana

Topic author
cookster
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

E409 - From a Caribbean Island to a Channel Island.

Post by cookster »

Having returned from a 2 week cruise on the Ventura early January 2014, we decided to dip our toe into the mini cruise market and try out a long weekend on the Oceana, this time with in-laws and parents in tow.

We live in Bournemouth so the short trip to Southampton to meet up with the ship was ideal, parking was pre-booked and hassle free. Car parked, cases unloaded and a short walk to the Mayflower Terminal. Lets gets onboard! Due to going with our 2 year old son, we were immediately directed to another check in desk and having waited for a few minutes, we had our cruise cards in hand, through security and making the short trip to board the ship.

First impressions were like any other P&O cruise ship I have been on, is one of excitement and the wow factor, everything spotlessly clean and staff were clearly directing newbies to where they should go for their staterooms, but research prior to going onboard we had a good idea where ours was! It was a glorious sunny day, the decks was filling up, you could sense the excitement of the sun being out and the bar was beginning to get very busy. I don't think the staff quite knew what hit them, but although slightly slower than expected service was still good and all good things come to those who wait, a cold, cool refreshing pint of Stella, even better at £2.35 a pint!

After getting our bearings, all 7 of us met for pre dinner drinks at Tiffany's, on both nights (well if you include a beaker of milk for our son). We had to try and get our son to sleep to put him into the night nursery, perfectly adequate for 2 nights, however they were testing a new procedure in the nursery and think it was still in it's User Acceptance Testing phase and not fully deployed due to a few teething problems along the way. Dinner we opted for Freedom Dining however on both occasions we decided to go for the Café Jardin and Horizon Grill due to the astonishing queuing that was required to get into the main restaurant, and the potential for us to be eating far later than normal, and knowing my parents fairly well they are very set in their ways with when they need to eat, so I can't comment on the restaurant however generally the food has been of a high standard and quality with service to match. Both signature restaurants were worth the additional expenditure, however out of the two would highly recommend the Horizon Grill, effectively part of the self serve restaurant during the day 'The Plaza' turned into a very professional outfit at night. The wife went for a Surf and Turf which incurred a supplement but my word, it was worth paying that little bit extra, needless to say I never got a chance to taste it.

We arrived on the Sunday in Guernsey and after negotiating the rather 'interesting' tender, we arrived! Apart from coffee shops and a few restaurants, everywhere else was shut but a brisk walk to the Fort and around the town we got back on the tender and returned to the ship. Our son was relieved as it gave him more time to experience the Kid's Club, a lot smaller than what he had been used to but it is all relative. A ball pit, lots of toys to play with and the kids club reps were even offering face painting (for the kids not me!) he was happy which was the main thing.

Overall, the cruise was OK, admittedly a lot of these mini breaks I think are classed as more 'party cruises' as there were a lot of stag/hen do's and key birthday celebrations, however it is a great way to get the people you want together in one place (and no escaping either). Would I go on one again, definitely, the Oceana probably not. Having been spoilt on the grand scale of Azura and Ventura, from my perspective big is best!

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: E409 - From a Caribbean Island to a Channel Island.

Post by Kenmo1 »

An interesting review, cookster, I enjoyed reading that and pleased you enjoyed your family break on Oceana.

Maureen

kaymar
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by kaymar »

Thank you for sharing that with us, cookster, and welcome to the forum

Topic author
cookster
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by cookster »

Bit of a newbie on this site, so thank you for the welcome and the feedback, much appreciated.

Return to “Oceana Cruise Reports”