Manoverboard wrote:
Another reason not to book Cunard .... I haven't got FIVE jackets :lol:
Scruffy eejit!!! :lol: :wave:

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cunard: is it for me?

Post by Boris+ »

Don't worry MoB, there is usually a range of jackets for sale on board!

Em

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

Usually out of the ark!

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Manoverboard wrote:
I / we will not be going on a Cunard ship and for a number of valid reasons including that of my long standing objections to a segregated class system being operated by a Cruise Line in the 21st Century. Their itineraries are additionally far too similar to those churned out ad nausium by P&O so for us there is little point going to the same places albeit on a different ship.

Apart from that I simply cannot believe that anybody needs to put a jacket on every night for a fortnight to feel special, doesn't work for me :thumbdown:

Tell me Gents ... apart from the Tux, how many jackets do you take with you on a Cunard fly cruise ?

:crazy:
Probably a comment about as outdated as the idea of a 'class' system.

No doubt flying is also off your agenda due to the 'segregated class system' operated by airlines. It must be a real pain watching First, business and Club passengers boarding before 'cattle class'.

But let's stick with cruise lines for a moment.

I wonder how your views stand regarding 'The Haven' on NCL and 'The Yacht Club" on MSC. Both of course operate a far more rigid system of privilege and class with more segregated areas than Cunarders could ever dream of.

And while we are at it what about suite guests on Celebrity and Royal caribbean having sun decks reserved as well as, God forbid, seats in the ship's Theatre.

And as a slight aside, the last 'Cunard fly cruise' I did in November 2013 I took 6 jackets.

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... e-summary/

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... log-day-6/

Unfortunately only three URLs allowed so couldn't pass on all daily blogs. Never mind, they are easy to follow.

Six and why not Seven? I usually wear my Houndstooth on the first and last nights: it sets the scene on the largest ballroom at sea.

By the way, most of my jackets and nearly all my shirts are made for during my frequent visits to Thailand at...

http://www.dress-for-success.com

I can recommend them and especially Jesse's guiding philosophy:

"Dress like a winner and you'll be treated like one"

;) ;)

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
I / we will not be going on a Cunard ship and for a number of valid reasons including that of my long standing objections to a segregated class system being operated by a Cruise Line in the 21st Century. Their itineraries are additionally far too similar to those churned out ad nausium by P&O so for us there is little point going to the same places albeit on a different ship.

Apart from that I simply cannot believe that anybody needs to put a jacket on every night for a fortnight to feel special, doesn't work for me :thumbdown:

Tell me Gents ... apart from the Tux, how many jackets do you take with you on a Cunard fly cruise ?

No doubt flying is also off your agenda due to the 'segregated class system' operated by airlines. It must be a real pain watching First, business and Club passengers boarding before 'cattle class'.

I wonder how your views stand regarding 'The Haven' on NCL and 'The Yacht Club" on MSC. Both of course operate a far more rigid system of privilege and class with more segregated areas than Cunarders could ever dream of.

And while we are at it what about suite guests on Celebrity and Royal caribbean having sun decks reserved as well as, God forbid, seats in the ship's Theatre.

And as a slight aside, the last 'Cunard fly cruise' I did in November 2013 I took 6 jackets.

Unfortunately only three URLs allowed so couldn't pass on all daily blogs. Never mind, they are easy to follow.

Six and why not Seven? I usually wear my Houndstooth on the first and last nights: it sets the scene on the largest ballroom at sea.

By the way, most of my jackets and nearly all my shirts are made for during my frequent visits to Thailand at...

;) ;)
Thanks Richard. This all confirms that Cunard are not for me.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

;) ;)
Thanks Richard. This all confirms that Cunard are not for me.
No Problem. Cunard is an acquired taste.

A bit like oysters really. :D

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Solent Richard wrote:
... No Problem. Cunard is an acquired taste.

Ahh, I see ...

It's all in the mind then and a vain search for the unattainable by those who need such props :lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Solent Richard wrote:
No Problem. Cunard is an acquired taste.

I don't have time for acquired tastes.

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

We were still deliberating the Cunard cruises, as the prices are quite cheap
however after reading all the comments in this post, I doubt I will ever the develop the "acquired tastes" or affectations needed to set foot on board

Viva la Difference :thumbup:
Nihil Obstat

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

Hi D/K, I can see you are looking to try a new ship/line and in doing so a little homework is being undertaking. But having enjoyed cruising on the thomson ships, you posted :-I am reluctant to say this but we prefer the smaller less glitzy ships (more traditional? ) over the larger ones.
Earlier in the year you posted :- Re: Maiden Cruise (Britannia)
Dark Knight » 12 Jan 2014 15:30 » Post Number:#18

no doubt Pando will be milking this for all its worth
given that every time the thing moves, it will be a maiden voyage to somewhere, at least for the first few months

might give it a year before looking at cruises, so they can iron all the bugs out.

May I ask if you are considering a cruise on Britannia ? it ticks a lot of your boxes only the size gets a cross.
Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Ray
Don't worry, be happy

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Hi Ray
Thomson have decided not to do ex UK sailings, so I am trying to get some unbiased info from the forum, sadly this has only brought out the usual trite cliché's about other lines and shown some breathtaking snobbery
Cunard are offering some good deals so I asked the question, same with HAL, Fred Olsen, C&M etc

we too much prefer the smaller ships with less than say 1500 passengers on board, so we will have to look around
Britannia does tick a lot of boxes for dinning, entertainment etc but the sheer scale of the behemoth puts Lady D right off
we are looking at cruises to the Baltics, Northern lights and the Arctic circle for the next few, so Ex UK is a must really?

hey ho, onwards and upwards :wave: :wave:
Nihil Obstat

colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

If it's any help, I love Cunard, hate dressing up, and loathe pretension. You'll be delighted to hear that those you meet on board are an eclectic mix and nothing like many who post on forums.

Try it

Topic author
Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Hi Colwill

that was more the sort of reply I was hoping for , thanks
Nihil Obstat

colwill
Cadet
Cadet

Post by colwill »

To be even more helpful, I loved FO as well. Been on P&O - disliked Arcadia, liked Oceana. Didn't particularly like our one Celebrity experience, but it's all subjective.

As we view waiter service as a somewhat overrated and long-winded pastime, we often eat in the buffet; amazingly, we are still alive to tell the tale. During her lifetime, we spent about ten weeks in total on the even more formal QE2. Trust me, endless dressing up wore very thin after a while.

Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lazysusan »

Hiya, can you wear jeans in the dinning rooms for breakfast and lunch on QV please?

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Yes you can Susan and contrary to what people would have you believe you can also wear shorts .. I know this for a fact as my husband lives in shorts, out of politeness we have always asked the head waiter on the first evening if this is ok and have never been told no.

You will love QV .. I'm so looking forward to being on it again myself in a few weeks.
Jo

Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lazysusan »

It says on our cruise documentation for QV in December:-
Embarkation OceanTerminal
Disembarkation Mayflower Pier

So it looks like we aren't coming back to the same terminal then by the sound of it. If you look on the Cruise arrival/departure site it says depart from Dock 46 come back to Dock 38/39. Is that the QE2 dock? So is Mayflower Pier the same as Mayflower Terminal or not? A bit confused about this one

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

It's quite common to leave from one terminal and return to another Susan, if you are parking at the port it isn't a problem because CPS will move your car to where you are disembarking.

Mayflower Pier is Mayflower Terminal, it isn't as confusing as it sounds.
Jo

Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lazysusan »

Thanks Dancing Queen enjoy your upcoming cruise.

Got to go watch Strictly now.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Off the top of my head Mayflower terminal is 106

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Jo

Lazysusan
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Lazysusan »

That's interesting as it says 38/39 is the QE2 terminal, and it says on the site that tells you the cruise ship movements that that is where the ship is coming into but it says on our documentation Mayflower Pier. Which is why I thought Mayflower Pier and Mayflower Terminal might be different places. Oh well we will see when we get back I suppose.

Return to “Cunard”