Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Adonia Iberia cruise May 2014

Post by Meg 50 »

Adonia Iberia cruise May 2014
Monday 5th May
Left home 9.45, arrived Ocean Terminal having run the gauntlet of the roadworks in Soton, just after 12 noon. Ridiculously long 'Goldie' queue - quite glad we're not! According to the check in lady, we're not bog standard, we are special!
They reached our check in letter at 1.10. Made for the Conservatory for lunch - just as the 'cabins ready' announcement arrived at 1.45.
While C unpacked, I
1)went to check out our dining arrangements - having booked (and confirmed in writing) a table near the entrance - turned out we were about as far away as it's possible to be…
2)Overheard the poor restaurant manager running the gauntlet of the "When we're on Cunard, we ALWAYS have a table for 2" lines and he was trying to explain that you had to have booked seriously early to qualify.. etc etc
3) back to cabin for booking confirmation so we could get the table changed. Absolutely no probs - done in the twinkling of an eye and one button press on his computer. My comment that I don't want a table for 2 didn't raise the hoped for laugh…
Moral: Don't try to be funny with a harassed restaurant manager!
4)Ironed those shirts which hadn't travelled well!

Found our lovely Med level lapel badges… deeply under-whelmed.

Muster… Why do people never listen to instructions?

Sailaway and our free glass of champagne

Dinner at out newly rearranged table (for 10)

40 people doing back to back from last time

Wednesday/Thursday 7th/8th May - Bordeaux.
Awoke just before 7 to a beautiful Sunrise, so took a photo, then back to bed!
At 8.05: In cabin bing bongs: Pilot will arrive by helicopter. Cabin nos.. (including ours) are required to evacuate, no one on balconies, no cameras in case of flash… by 8.30. Bang goes our cuppa in bed.
8.10: steward at door: you've got to get out. Yeh, yeh, we heard…
8.15 steward at door: have you gone yet?
8.20 arrive in conservatory for brekkie
8.25 announcement that he's been and gorn!

The sail into Bordeaux took all morning and was very scenic (including a stop while the tug removed his rope from fouling the propeller. We were interested to see Emerald Princess moored close to the sea at the end of a field!
When we arrived, the gangplank wasn't ready, and the railings could only be released after liberal doses of WD40… There was a long drawn out pantomime while it was sorted. Gangway also turned out to be way too short and at a ridiculous angle which made disembarkation very difficult. At lower tide next day it was a tad easier, but why it wasn't put to a lower deck, heaven knows.
Anyway, once fast we walked off to explore Bordeaux town and its water front. The Miroir D'eau, the flea market in La Place des Quinconces and the Botanical gardens being highlights.
Sailed out 1pm on the second day.

Friday 9th May - San Sebastian (or to be more precise Pasajes which a about 5 miles away)
The entrance to the harbour is minute - and looks impossible from a distance. An officer was standing nearby and commented, "I doubt Britannia 'd get in here!"
The locals were out in force - school closed, the synchronised swimming team, the remote control press cameras - the lot!
Shuttled to San Sebastian - a beautiful little town. We walked around the streets and long the harbour to the Aquarium/Marine museum.
Our sailaway during dinner caused the same amount of local interest. Twas a shame that we couldn't access the little village where the locals were and were bussed into town.

Sunday 11th May Leixoes (for Oporto)
Oporto very scenic - also bought a bottle of Port (with a free Mateus Rose).
After lunch we decided to check out the area around the port and a few hundred yds away found a sandy beach and marina

Tuesday/ Wednesday 13/14th May Seville
We were due to meet friends here, so I texted them as soon as we'd docked, only to discover that they are poorly, so meeting off.
We set off to walk around Seville as early as possible before the heat set in (33o forecast - turned out to be 40o in the afternoon. We walked along the river front for a couple of bridges , then branched off into town and found all the sites on our list - the Cathedral, the Giraldo tower and the Real Alcazar (which had a mile long queue for entry, so we decided to pass).
Then made for the Parqua Maria which a huge and beautiful park bounded by the river (and our mooring) on one side, and the Plaza Espana on the other. We spent ages there and in the Plaza and intended to return in the afternoon… In the event, the heat was searing, so we stayed onboard , partook of the buffet themed dinner and went out again in the evening. Along the banks even further - to the Torro tower and beyond and the back passing a silver band playing in the open air.
Next morning we hit the park once more to explore more fully.
As we prepared to sail we were told that it was a bit windy at sea, and cruise ships had been unable to dock at Cadiz. We set off and went through the lock just as we went to dinner.

Thursday 15th May - Tangiers
At 1am ish we dropped off the pilot at sea and then the fun started. The wind howled and the ship pitched and rolled. Very glad were we in bed! Didn't get much sleep.
At 8ish the TV said we were 7 miles off Tangiers, but then the bing bongs started up - we'd sailed through a hurricane ( force 12) and were expecting force 10, gusting 12 this morning. No way we could get into Tangiers., nor anywhere else nearby (eg Gib) because if the conditions… so please would everyone be very careful for a while cos we need to turn round across the Gib shipping lanes and make for tomorrow's port.
The route we took looked more like a yacht tacking with twists and turns

Friday 16th May Portimao
Not tender as advertised. The port area was a bit run down (money ran out so unfinished?), but the views were lovely. Bussed into Portimao. Did a lot of souvenir shopping and sightseeing.

Saturday 17th May Lisbon
I had planned an itinerary, but C not keen on it….
The shuttle bus wasn't dropping at Blackhorse square as expected, but somewhere not on the map, so we did a reccie out of our window, found a cupola on the skyline and said, "Let's go there". It turned out to be the Panteao Nacional Lisbon. It was a long walk up - slopes and steps, but well worth it.
Once inside the roof terrace was accessible with amazing views both into the building and outside.
Afterwards we wandered around in a vaguely downhill direction, wishing Bon Dias to a chap hanging out of a window. He repaid the politeness by warning that the turning we were about to takes was a dead end! Nice man!

Monday 19th May Biarritz (ostensibly….)
We arrived at a river moth and entered the river , sailed upstream for miles, did a 'u'ey, and then sailed some more - realised eventually that we were back at the river mouth, having passed a nice looking commercial dock along the way. The dock clearly had no naff all preparation for us ( bit like Bordeaux) and took ages getting gangway sorted ( they'd sent the wrong one, plus a crane in the way…).
Buses would take 45 mins to get to Biarritz - turned we were in Bayonne rather than St Jean de Luz as the research had implied.
While we waited for the queue to die down we went off to play quoits which I won! Also tried Shuffleboard, but seems too much like hard work.
Biarritz a bit of a disappointment - particularly after the long drive past much better moorings

Tuesday 20th May at sea - packed to come home. Switched on mobile phone and set alarm for 6.45

Wednesday 21st May only to be woken at 2.30 by a text message from Orange France!
Arrived to a very foggy Southampton - though the fog did burn off. Given 9.20 disembarkation, though we were called at 9 or so. By 9.30 we were on the motorway and out of Soton
Meg
x

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Adonia Iberia cruise May 2014

Post by david63 »

Thanks Meg :clap:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Nice review Meg what a shame you didn't get to meet your friends.

It sounds as if you docked in one or two places different to what you were expecting was this down to other ships getting better berths or just a misunderstanding of brochure literature.
Jo

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

... or P&O "penny-pinching" :o

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Interesting review, Meg,written with humour. Sounds like you visited some interesting places.

I was particularly interested in the bit about the helicopter. When we were on Arcadia once, someone needed to be airlifted off the ship and everyone was evacuated from the rooms and cabins and dining rooms at the back of the ship as the airlift was due to take place from the Aquarius pool area. This was just as everyone was getting ready for 2nd sitting. What happens if you are in the shower and need to get dried and dress etc. Hopefully, I suppose they give enough warning but it must make it difficult under certain circumstances but it doesn't sound as if you had much warning. I suppose it is for your own safety in case there is a problem with the helicopter.

We finally started second sitting at 10.30pm but at least a very ill person was taken off safely as we were well out from land and it must have been frightening for them and their family. I've always wondered who pays for the helicopter and how much it costs when a medical emergency is involved and PO sends for a helicopter. I suppose you have to hope the insurance company will pay for it.

Maureen

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Kenmo1 wrote:
I've always wondered who pays for the helicopter and how much it costs when a medical emergency is involved and PO sends for a helicopter. I suppose you have to hope the insurance company will pay for it.
That is one of the reasons why all cruise lines require insurance details from all passengers before they can sail so that in such emergencies they can get authorisation from the insurance company - not sure what would happen if you had given bogus insurance information - probably hope that you have a large bank balance with costs of up to £2,000 an hour.

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

this was the pilot...
he departed by boat on the way out of port next day
Meg
x

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Nice review Meg what a shame you didn't get to meet your friends.

It sounds as if you docked in one or two places different to what you were expecting was this down to other ships getting better berths or just a misunderstanding of brochure literature.
Not sure about the Biarritz/ Bayonne docking. (all the others were advertised as being some distance out). It was a horrible place and I commented such on the questionnaire. I don't think the crew were best chuffed either - having overheard a few conversations...
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Meg. It made for interesting reading. :clap:

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Thanx Meg ... a great itinerary and one that we had hoped to book on a Getaway deal :lol: but it proved to be far too popular.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

this itinerary appears several times next year.

It was sold out months ago - one of those rare wee beasties whose prices rose
Meg
x

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Thanks Meg, really enjoyed that, although the hurricane sounds a bit nasty!

If only you'd had some half decent reading material ;)

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I believe so, Meg, but we are presently evaluating Bordeaux by Riverboat as an alternative given that we have been to most of those Ports ... albeit some time ago in a few cases, like Biarritz for example which I thought we had enjoyed :lol:

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Manoverboard wrote:
I believe so, Meg, but we are presently evaluating Bordeaux by Riverboat as an alternative given that we have been to most of those Ports ... albeit some time ago in a few cases, like Biarritz for example which I thought we had enjoyed :lol:
the river boat docked about 100yds from us
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Was it the Viking one ?

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

Manoverboard wrote:
Was it the Viking one ?
CroisiEurop (2 of them), though we did see a Viking go by -
Meg
x

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We are doing a similar itinerary in August.

Not going to Biarritz though. Ours is Lisbon, Portamao, overnight in Seville, Tangiers, Opporto, and Ferrol.

Looking forward to it. It is not sold out yet and is on Saver fare but much more expensive than we paid on early booking.

Thanks for posting Meg.

Sue

Topic author
Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

additions to the review:
1) they've stopped issuing steak knives - makes steak eating difficult. Steaks taste good once you can fight your way into them. I commented on this to our waiter and a few mins later the head waiter appeared all apologetic.. Clearly some Soton jobsworth changed things..

2)the on table pepper mills - why can't the waiter do it like they used to?
I was the only person on our table of 10 to get the things to work. We decided it's cos I am left-handed and turned the handle the opposite way to everyone else!
Meg
x

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Meg 50 wrote:
additions to the review:
1) they've stopped issuing steak knives - makes steak eating difficult. Steaks taste good once you can fight your way into them. I commented on this to our waiter and a few mins later the head waiter appeared all apologetic.. Clearly some Soton jobsworth changed things..

2)the on table pepper mills - why can't the waiter do it like they used to?
I was the only person on our table of 10 to get the things to work. We decided it's cos I am left-handed and turned the handle the opposite way to everyone else!
Or could it be to stop you stabbing Mr or Mrs Bucket if they become too monotonous :roll: just a thought :lol: :lol:

I also agree about the pepper mills, nothing to do with them not working but as a prevention against norovirus .. that would make sense to me.
Jo

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Although I'm not that keen on the smaller ships, I think we will probably try Adonia in the next couple of years, just to see for ourselves.

So your review was an interesting read for me. Thanks for posting it
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Did you know that turning the pepper mill the wrong way will bugger it up .... :lol:

Return to “Adonia Cruise Reports”