Princess Documentary ITV

Anything about Princess cruises

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Princess Documentary ITV

Post by qbman1 »

Think I'd rather have my dinner on a plate!

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Not to worry. I brought her the perfect prezzie for such accidents
16683907_1267617806679706_8964903735254715739_n.jpg

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I once got away with presenting the old gal with a pack of pelleted chicken manure but I don't think a gallon of Jeyes Fluid would be as well received !

P.S. - brace yourselves, we're way off topic !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Another black mark in the register

AnnCAgain
Cadet
Cadet

Post by AnnCAgain »

Looking forward to the episode on river cruising.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Kenmo1 wrote: 14 Feb 2017, 10:55
We must be the odd ones out as we both like Jane McDonald so we watched the cruising programme because she was on it and we thoroughly enjoyed its light heartedness.

Maureen
I see the old gal is doing a British Isles cruise on the programme tonight. Be interesting to see and we might pick up a few tips for our next one !

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Seems she's going on a converted fishing boat with capacity for 11 passengers

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I just watched the latest episode of The Cruise documentary on ITV, this one is about the Caribbean.
Having watched all of them so far, Baltic, Med, Alaska and now Caribbean I do believe it is probably proving as important an advertising vehicle as The Love Boat series back in the 70's and 80's.
The apparent professionalism of the crew and the cleanliness and the glamour of the Princess cruise ships must be having a positive impact on Princess bookings. Even the elderly Star Princess, now 16 years old, made any of the current P&O fleet look old tired and lacking any sort of "Wow" factor.
It now seems almost unbelievable that Princess was ever owned and managed by P&O, how on earth did things go so far wrong for P&O?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

What amused me was the doctor. This was her first time as doctor on a cruise ship and one night she was the doctor on call. She had gone to the theatre with some colleagues and was paged. Her response "take them to the medical centre and I will go and get changed". Surely she should have gone straight to the medical centre and then, if circumstances permitted, gone and got changed.

Now this was serious case as the ship arrived in port the next day two hours early and had priority berthing due to medical disembarkation.

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

Despite being Elite members of the Captain's Circle we are reluctant to take another Princess cruise for fear of Timothy being on board.

Oh! did I miss hear "8 doctors on board"
Last edited by Ray Scully on 07 Apr 2018, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Ray Scully wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:19
Despite being Elite members of the Captain's Circle we are reluctant to take another Princess cruise for fear of Timothy being on board.

Oh! did I miss hear "8 doctors on board"
Yes I did wonder if they included the medical centre porter in that 8.
You may dislike Timothy but clearly Princess think he is the star of the show.
Last edited by towny44 on 07 Apr 2018, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
John

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

towny44 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:29
clearly Princess think he is the star of the show
.. or ITV do

Compared to the last series the current Captain could do with a personality transplant - never heard such a boring sounding Captain, and I have heard some in my time.
Last edited by david63 on 07 Apr 2018, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

I've watched quite few but haven't been enticed to book a Princess cruise from what I've seen.

I know it's a programme but everything seems to be such a drama, particularly that annoying South African chef in the previous one.

On the current series, the Captain is a dour, miserable git and as for Timothy! We'd run a mile.

Maybe if they showed a bit more of the passengers actually enjoying themselves, it would be a better sales aid.

The ship does look nice though.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Yes, that Timothy tit annoys me too.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 23:07
I just watched the latest episode of The Cruise documentary on ITV, this one is about the Caribbean.
Having watched all of them so far, Baltic, Med, Alaska and now Caribbean I do believe it is probably proving as important an advertising vehicle as The Love Boat series back in the 70's and 80's.
The apparent professionalism of the crew and the cleanliness and the glamour of the Princess cruise ships must be having a positive impact on Princess bookings. Even the elderly Star Princess, now 16 years old, made any of the current P&O fleet look old tired and lacking any sort of "Wow" factor.
It now seems almost unbelievable that Princess was ever owned and managed by P&O, how on earth did things go so far wrong for P&O?
Still knocking P&O eh Towny? You really should stop booking with them. Other cruise lines are available.

p.s. Just received a glossy about "bargains" with Calamity. Ludicrously expensive. :sarcasm:

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 11:24
towny44 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 23:07
Still knocking P&O eh Towny? You really should stop booking with them. Other cruise lines are available.

p.s. Just received a glossy about "bargains" with Calamity. Ludicrously expensive. :sarcasm:
The number of cruises I book with them gives me more opportunity and entitlement to highlight their many shortcomings Merv. They offer a passable holiday experience but not as exciting or luxurious as some others, but they do sail year round from Southampton with more guaranteed hot climate cruises than most of the US lines that only sail the summer season, and seem to concentrate their Southampton sailings on the Baltic and Norway.
As for price surprisingly we found that our 2019 summer school holiday Mediterranean cruise on Independence of the seas was quite a lot cheaper than the ones we had priced up on P&O's summer 2019 launch offers back in September last year; and it would have cheaper still if my son had made his mind up sooner.
Last edited by towny44 on 07 Apr 2018, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
John

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I’ve just booked with the family on RCI Voyager of the Seas in August 2019 and the difference in costs was unbelievable. They wanted to go somewhere rather than the Med so we are going to the Baltic which I haven’t done although some ports I have been to. The alternative on Oceana to Italy/Greece was more expensive than our Christmas cruise this year. So we are going with an open mind (I’ve only cruised once with RCI) - I’m happy just to be on a cruise :thumbup:
Janis

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

We tried Independence once Jan and enjoyed it.
The ship was ok but we didn't get the same experience that we enjoy with P&O so have stuck to them ever since.

A good mate of mine did two on RCI before trying P&O and he's now a convert as well.

I think that if it suits you, it suits you. It's all horses for courses.

Whatever, you'll have a lovely time I'm sure :D
Empty vessels .. and all that

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

The RCI ships are more glamorous and better designed than most of the P&O fleet, the showers have glass doors, most of the doors out onto the open decks are automatic, which is better for wheelchair users. As for the rest the food is at least equal to P&O, the service is generally better, as is most of the entertainment, and you do get a better mix of passengers with plenty of Americans on board but Still mainly Brits.
If the price is OK then for me it's a no brainer.
John

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

towny44 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 15:38
The RCI ships are more glamorous and better designed than most of the P&O fleet, the showers have glass doors, most of the doors out onto the open decks are automatic, which is better for wheelchair users. As for the rest the food is at least equal to P&O, the service is generally better, as is most of the entertainment, and you do get a better mix of passengers with plenty of Americans on board but Still mainly Brits.
In your opinion John.

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray Scully »

The nearest we have got to RCI was Celebrity, I doubt if we will be returning

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

daib GC wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 15:55
towny44 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 15:38
In your opinion John.
Every comment on here is an opinion Dai, but some are actual facts like shower doors and auto doors and passenger mix, and I forgot to mention that the buffet design is also better than the grand princess class, and that's before I compare the lifts.
John

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Celebrity Eclipse. Good and bad.
The buffet scrum is an absolute nightmare trying to find food in any logical order. We resorted to the main dining room in the end for a more civilised nose bag experience.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Stephen wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 16:53
Celebrity Eclipse. Good and bad.
The buffet scrum is an absolute nightmare trying to find food in any logical order. We resorted to the main dining room in the end for a more civilised nose bag experience.
I always found breakfast easy to organise on Celebrity, I quickly knew where what I wanted was displayed, and the quality was good, not better than P&O but easier to find a seat and navigate round the serveries. Only tried it once for dinner and wasn't impressed with the quality so stayed with the MDR.
Princess as our first quality cruise line always has fond memories for us, but the buffet design faults that cause issues on P&O are just as bad on Princess, however we always found their service to be higher than we now receive on P&O, but only had one Princess cruise in the last 8 years, so it may also have declined.
John

Return to “Princess”