River Cruising

Anything to do with river cruising

Topic author
Ray Scully
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

River Cruising

Post by Ray Scully »

We have considered a river cruise but can not build up a steam of enthusiasm.
The apparent lack of any evening entertainment; the feeling that our companions would be serious types who go to bed early so as to be up for an early morning tour, I find daunting.
Is this just a misconception on my part. Do people love river cruising and return year after year???

Ray

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Re: River Cruising

Post by Manoverboard »

It is very different to a Sea Cruise but if you feel unable to even try one then you are clearly stuck in a rut :lol:

Serious types who carry clipboards and attend wall to wall lectures, play Bridge all day and then go to bed at ten completely exhausted are, in my own experience, to be found on Cruise Ships not Riverboats.

I suggest that you read the Reports on this site and then ask any questions that may arise.

:wave:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

we have done a couple of river cruises and are planning the next....

they are different, a much gentler pace. There is evening entertainment, but not on the industrial scale of ocean ships
Meg
x

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

One of my best holidays was a river cruise but not like the ones Mob does where somebody does all the work for you. :wave:

Ours was a narrowboat holiday in Shropshire and was one of the most relaxing holidays we have ever had. It was a lovely experience just chugging along through the countryside, tying up at night in the middle of nowhere with just open fields and bird song for company and enjoying the delights of canalside pubs. It's a world many of us never see. If you are reasonably fit and mobile it's a holiday I can recommend.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

We are trying our first River Boat cruise at the end of the month.

As we did 24 nights on Azura last September, we felt that we'd need a break from ocean cruising, so thought we'd try something else.

I'm expecting the experience to be different, with the emphasis on the sightseeing and riverside sights.

With regard to my fellow cruisers, I'm expecting quite a few North Americans, but I'm imagining they will be people with an interest in the world about them - not serious people by any means.

As Moby said, I think we've all come across people on cruise ships who like to think they are serious intellectuals.... but in reality are nothing of the sort :lol:

Most genuine intellectuals that I've met have a lively and quick sense of humour and are entertaining to be with.
Gill

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Gill W wrote:
... I'm expecting quite a few North Americans ...
We had a few of those but also Australians, South Americans ( Chile ) and one couple from Thailand.

Just to add ...

Because the dining is generally open you can move about rather than having to sit next to the same pompous boring Brits from the Wirral night after night ;) although we joined a Bishop-ish and his good lady and they were great fun.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

the demographic stats from our last river cruise:

129 booked, but only 81 on board after being offered cancellation due to river levels:
24 Hebrew
18 US (Gate 1 agency)
23 UK
2 Chilean
Rest German

Crew mainly Eastern European - Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian
Meg
x

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Manoverboard wrote:
Because the dining is generally open you can move about rather than having to sit next to the same pompous boring Brits from the Wirral night after night ;) although we joined a Bishop-ish and his good lady and they were great fun.
So you've had them on your table too ;)

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

The one with the nine pieces of cake? ;)

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Oddly enough we have the same problem
whilst the sites and the cruises themselves look great, we just can't summon up the last push to sign up for one
Nihil Obstat

OCEANIAFAN
Cadet
Cadet

Post by OCEANIAFAN »

Take the plunge, we have done many cruises, but last year we decided to try a river cruise, we thought that it was great, yes not a lot of entertainment at night, but that is of no great shakes, when you think that if you sail on the same cruise line many times you have already seen the shows more than once anyway.

This year we have booked on another with Emerald Waterways and we sail next month, let us hope that is as good as the last one.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I thought of this thread while I was away on my river cruise.

I'm pleased to report that the passengers were normal friendly considerate people

No one-upmanship, no moaning, no serious bores, pseudo intellectuals and certainly no ten bob millionaires.

If you are wondering whether to book - why not take the plunge, I think you'd like it.

I did
Gill

Return to “River Cruising”