Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Ruby Princess Round Britain Report Part 3

Post by Jan Rosser »

Last Part - I know I can hear you saying - thank goodness :lolno:

Invergordon
Now after spending hours on the bus in Glasgow I didn’t really want to go through that experience again but by getting on the 25 rather than the 25X local bus we did just that - the journey into Inverness went through every housing estate in the area - stopped umpteen times but eventually got there. We wandered around - had a snack in the indoor market and got the impression that they just weren’t geared for a visit from a cruise ship - some of the shopkeepers had no idea we were even visiting. I found an amazing men’s shop and couldn’t resist buying my youngest son Matthew a shirt - made in Italy and patterned with guitars - I know it sounds a bit naff but as a little boy he had a guitar and now I’ve lost count of how many he has as a big boy you would understand why. We decided to return to the ship we hoped before the crowds but the queue at the bus stop was already building up. Fortunately we got on the first bus only for it to break down twice on the way back to the ship but after offloading a few passengers it limped back to Invergordon and once again a queue back onto the ship :evil: There was a magician/comedian in the theatre who was ok - the usual thing getting someone up from the audience and making them look silly.

Edinburgh
Tender today - it was quite foggy but we still managed to see the famous Forth Bridge. We had been told that it was 200 steps up to the train station to Edinburgh but they lied it was only 120. We didn’t have long to wait - the journey only took about 20 minutes to Waverley Station. We walked up to the Castle along with what seemed like thousands of other people - it was a Saturday so busier I imagine than mid week. They are preparing for the Edinburgh Tattoo and putting all the scaffolding, staging etc. in place and the queue to go into the castle was horrendous so we walked down the Royal Mile taking in all the sights and then it came to rain so we found a cafe and had a snack. We went to St. Giles Cathedral but had to leave because a wedding was about to take place. By now the rain was really heavy so we made our way back to Waverley Station and did the return trip - this time the 120 steps were a lot easier and a tender had just come in so we were back on the ship quite quickly. We had a snack in the International cafe - it is more than a coffee bar and serves some lovely salads, soups, pies and of course the pastries and ice-cream.

At Sea
A rest today thank goodness. The Executive Chef and the Maitre d’hotel were giving a cookery demonstration in the theatre followed by a tour of the galley - both had difficult to understand Italian accents but were quite amusing. Didn’t bother with the galley tour - went to get ready for lunch with the Captain’s Circle. Apparently I was one of the 40 most frequent cruisers with Princess on the ship - lunch was in Sabatini’s and was absolutely delicious. Shared the table with the Executive Hotel Manager, a couple from Sheffield, a guy from Essex and a couple from California. The food was superb but they weren’t as generous with the wine as the Baltic lunch with P&O which is not a bad thing - I just want to sleep after drinking lunchtime. We had our photo taken with the Deputy Captain (the Captain was busy sounding the fog horn) and they actually gave you a copy of the photo. My friends were also invited but the in-laws were apparently next on the list if people had cancelled and the guy who runs the Captain’s Circle said he couldn’t make exceptions - he could invite 39 but not 41 - oh well they weren’t bothered anyway. Managed to do some packing and yes I did have a nap. Usual drink in Crooners Bar before having a meal in the buffet - just couldn’t eat a lot after a boozy lunch and then went to the theatre to see a show called “Stardust”.

Le Havre
Lovely day but a bit of a disappointment - it was a Monday and everything was closed - couldn’t even get a taxi to take us to Honfleur but we did visit two cathedrals and walked along the seafront before returning to the ship to sunbathe - it was very hot - I had to scrabble around in the case to find a swimsuit. Dinner again in the buffet and then we went to the theatre to see a show by the Ruby Princess Crew - which was in turn funny, painful (a dancer with aspirations of being a singer - he was a bit flat) but you could see they all enjoyed taking part. Before the show started we were all given balloons and before long the whole theatre was a sea of people throwing balloons at each other - good fun - I wish the granddaughters had been there - they would have loved it.

And so back to Southampton - early breakfast and then off by 9 am - cases were easy to find and by 9.30 am we were in the car and on the road. Stopped at Membury Services for a coffee and I was home by 1 pm - didn’t come home this time via Salisbury Plain - that’s another story - having a sat nav made all the difference.

Well not having travelled with Princess for many years I have to say I was impressed and would definitely travel with them again. I liked the fact the ship never seemed to be crowded even in the buffet and the crew were so friendly and happy. The ship was spotlessly clean - the food was varied and although as I said before a bit Americanised there was so much choice. We didn’t eat in any of the speciality restaurants so can’t comment on them. The cruise director and his deputy put on a tv show every day called the Wake Show - full of nonsense really but very amusing - supposedly to tell you what was going on around the ship but they were really enjoying themselves. The overall atmosphere on the ship was a happy one - no real negatives just a really enjoyable cruise. I visited places I am ashamed to say I had not been to - Scotland being the principal place and this was the ideal way to do it.

We didn't book any Princess excursions - we thought they were very expensive and in our own country felt more comfortable doing our own thing and also they were mostly full day trips which must have been exhausting.

Nothing booked now until December 2015 but can’t see me lasting that long - can you ?

Thanks for reading my ramblings - well done those of you who got to the end.
Janis

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Re: Ruby Princess Round Britain Report Part 3

Post by JenniC »

I got to the end, made interesting reading and so glad you enjoyed it. You will not last until our Christmas cruise, so will probably see you on board Azura on Jan 10. We are flying from LGW and staying at Holiday Inn the night before, just in case you need to know ..lol
Jenni

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Nice one Jan, a really good read as I thought it would be :)

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Once again thanks for your very personal but extremely entertaing review, glad you enjoyed the Ruby Princess we also enjoyed our Emerald P cruise and thought the hotel staff were much happier than P&O. Maybe it has something to do with the higher level gratuities.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I read every word, all three, most enjoyable ... thank you :clap:

We enjoyed our one and only Princess cruise way back in 2009 but we were steerage on that one, next time we will also be ' elite '.

:lol:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Thanks Jan. I read every word of all three reports which gave a lovely, personal insight into your cruise. Your Elite status sounded something special.
Are you sure your next cruise is December 2015 and not December 2014. I'm sure you'll think of something before then. I'll look out for you!!! :wave:

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

oldbluefox wrote:
Thanks Jan. I read every word of all three reports which gave a lovely, personal insight into your cruise. Your Elite status sounded something special.
Are you sure your next cruise is December 2015 and not December 2014. I'm sure you'll think of something before then. I'll look out for you!!! :wave:
Well Foxy I've definitely only got the Christmas 2015 cruise booked with the family SO FAR ;) wish it was this year but I'm sure something else will come along before then - got my eye on January 2015 - Azura in the Caribbean :thumbup:
Janis

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Now what made me think that, Jan? :lol: :angel:
(And why not?)

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Great review ( as always ) Jan, I'm quite fancying an 'Around Britain' and even more so having read this.

Foxy, if you register with Princess your P&O points are carried over, never been on a Princess ship yet we are Elite .. I'm sure I read somewhere that Princess were stopping the points transfer so it might be a good idea to register in case you ever fancy trying them :thumbup:
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I have just found these reports and found them very interesting. I do agree with you that Princess crew are probably the happiest we have encountered and they have a wonderful "can do" attitude. Having said we would never consider a Round Britain cruise, I must admit you have made me think again and perhaps we would.

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us.
Gill

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Thank you Jan for a very interesting review.

A Round Britain cruise is the last thing I would think of as foreign and sunny are our normal choice.

I was very interested in all your day trips as they are all places that I have never visited and I feel quite ashamed that I have travelled to so many countries and yet I have never been to Ireland, Scotland or Wales.

I might not get to do a cruise but since reading your reports I have been looking at coach trips to Scotland and have booked a pre Christmas trip to Dublin.

Wales ??????
I will need guidance on that.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Great report Jan, thanks for posting

I did Round Britain on Artemis in 2009, and it's one of my favourite cruises. I really enjoyed seeing more of our own country
Gill

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

Jan

Good read and thank you

Graham
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Jacknian
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Jacknian »

Thanks Jan, really enjoyed reading your report and it's interesting to see the differences between other cruise lines. We have only cruised with P&O so,far but will maybe try some others .

Return to “Princess”