Aurora's New Look ... following her Upgrade

Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Aurora's New Look ... following her Upgrade

Post by Manoverboard »

P&O have just shipped me an e-mail with a link containing full details including pics re Aurora's pending upgrade :thumbup:

Et voila ...

:clap:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Aurora's New Look ... following her Upgrade

Post by GillD46 »

Yes I got this earlier today - it isn't going to be Adult only as has been bandied about.
Gill

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Oooh looks lovely, thanks for that.

Can't wait until Christmas now! :D

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Romig1 wrote:
How many times do we have to tell that there is no Father Christmas :lolno: :wave:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

david63 wrote:
Romig1 wrote:
How many times do we have to tell that there is no Father Christmas :lolno: :wave:

There will be this year! I hear he comes down the ship's funnel?

Frank Manning
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Frank Manning »

We are particularly pleased that they are finally going to change that dreadful Orangery. I always thought The Lions rugby team should use it for ruck and maul training.

I'm old fashioned, so Union flag on the bows and blue funnels on P&O is an anathema to me. Of all the present fleet Aurora and Oriana look most like traditional P&O ships, so I would prefer to keep them that way. Otherwise, it all looks good, except, more eating venues means more cover charges, and I suspect that putting the library in Cybstudy means fewer books.

I suppose we traditionalists should be pleased they haven't changed the stern to accomodate a raft of tiered suites ("Shut up boy; you'll give them ideas!" :twisted: )

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Yes, more eating venues means more cover charges. But it also means more choice, and no-one is forced to use them. MDR and the buffet are still there included in the price and look like they might be improved in this refit. Personally we like the look of most of the changes. We love Sindhu and much prefer the Glass House to MP-W, who is much over-rated in our book. And last time we were on board the Cyberstudy and library were almost empty most of the time, so re-allocating the space makes sense to us. Just hope Café Bordeaux/Glass House remains available for a late breakfast. Our only reservation is the allocation of the Medina Restaurant to Freedom Dining. That was our favourite of the two MDRs and we prefer Club Dining, so we'd have preferred it to be the other way round. But you can't win them all. But certainly with you on the stern Frank. Glad that's unchanged, so shhhhh!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Yes, more eating venues means more cover charges. But it also means more choice, and no-one is forced to use them. MDR and the buffet are still there included in the price and look like they might be improved in this refit. Personally we like the look of most of the changes. We love Sindhu and much prefer the Glass House to MP-W, who is much over-rated in our book. And last time we were on board the Cyberstudy and library were almost empty most of the time, so re-allocating the space makes sense to us. Just hope Café Bordeaux/Glass House remains available for a late breakfast. Our only reservation is the allocation of the Medina Restaurant to Freedom Dining. That was our favourite of the two MDRs and we prefer Club Dining, so we'd have preferred it to be the other way round. But you can't win them all. But certainly with you on the stern Frank. Glad that's unchanged, so shhhhh!
Most of it is negative for us. The Café Bordeaux will be a great loss during the day and turning the Crows Nest into a Costa cr***y outlet is a definite downturn. They'll be turfing you out if you don't buy a coffe, you mark my words! The Cyberstudy is little used but we have always found the library to be very busy, often with no seating space so this one will have to be watched very carefully. Freedom dining is warmly welcomed. The new livery is tack, tasteless and cheap. I don't know who it is aimed at.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Romig1 wrote:

What happened to 'Bah Humbug' :lol: :lol:
Jo

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Romig1 wrote:

What happened to 'Bah Humbug' :lol: :lol:
He's a Yorkshireman and if there are any freebies going .... need I say any more?

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I was last on Aurora in 2011, and although I enjoyed the cruise, I felt that I didn't want to rush back to Aurora.

However, this refurb will perk things up a bit, and I feel I'd like to try another cruise on her, to see what they've done
Gill

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I think the new livery is fantastic! If you don't like it, at least you won't/can't look at it while you're on board :thumbup:
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
I think the new livery is fantastic! If you don't like it, at least you won't/can't look at it while you're on board :thumbup:

You must be more than a little colour blind to not notice that the funnel has gone blue! :o

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

Gill W wrote:
I was last on Aurora in 2011, and although I enjoyed the cruise, I felt that I didn't want to rush back to Aurora.

However, this refurb will perk things up a bit, and I feel I'd like to try another cruise on her, to see what they've done
I had mixed feelings about Aurora. I found the atrium to be the least impressive of any of the P&O ships I have been on, and the strange 'Harry Potter-esque' Alexandria restaurant with its entrance on deck 6½ and the invisble pianist on your left as you enter. Having the show lounge just half a flight of stairs immediately above didn't work particularly well, as with shows ending some 10-15 mins before the restaurant opened its doors for each sitting, big crowds congregated on the stairs at these times every evening.
Don't get me wrong, she has her good points too, and I would happily sail on her again - though perhaps not during school holidays.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Not so ancient mariner wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:

You must be more than a little colour blind to not notice that the funnel has gone blue! :o

I don't normally look up that far!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Manoverboard wrote:
P&O have just shipped me an e-mail with a link containing full details including pics re Aurora's pending upgrade :thumbup:

Et voila ...

Quite amazing what techies can do with computer graphics nowadays, I just wonder what the reality will look like. :sarcasm:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

towny44 wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Et voila ...

Quite amazing what techies can do with computer graphics nowadays, I just wonder what the reality will look like. :sarcasm:
I hope it's an accurate depiction, either way we will likely book a cheapo to find out :thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Here is a link to a webcam that is opposite Aurora in her dry dock. Soon be heading back to Soutampton to collect us for the Christmas Cruise.

http://player.livespotting.tv/?p=hotel- ... 0000000034

May be able to see the livery changing to the new colours from this camera.

June

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We have only cruised on Aurora once and at the time had no wish to do so again. It was badly in need of a refit 2 years ago. Looking at the planned improvements we may well give it another try.

Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Just had a look at that webcam - if they're changing the livery before the Christmas cruise, they'd better get a move on!!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Just had a look at that webcam - if they're changing the livery before the Christmas cruise, they'd better get a move on!!
I hope they do as well, otherwise the frost may freeze the paint before its off the brush.

Sue, I'll let you know what she is like after Christmas although I've never been on her to compare but I can still tell a ship that has problems.
Enjoy Oriana. Hope the pond is kind for your crossing.

June

Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Thanks for the link June, looking forward to watching the progress :D

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Great webcam. Looks as if there is some scaffolding going up round the funnel.

June1969
Cadet
Cadet

Post by June1969 »

Yes, I think you are right Mervyn & Trish,

It now looks like the scaffolding goes right to the top of the funnel and all the water has gone from the dock. Lifeboats were all removed also the other day. I also wondered if they had started on the bow scaffolding.

Weather seems to be misty a lot.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

June1969 wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
I hope they do as well, otherwise the frost may freeze the paint before its off the brush.

Sue, I'll let you know what she is like after Christmas although I've never been on her to compare but I can still tell a ship that has problems.
Enjoy Oriana. Hope the pond is kind for your crossing.

June
Thanks June. Look forward to hearing all about it. May book something for early next year on Aurora.

Enjoy your Christmas Cruise.

Sue

Return to “About Aurora”