Discussions about anything related to Aurora

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Aurora's New Look ... following her Upgrade

Post by Stephen »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Sorry it didn't come up to expectations Stephen. We have a friend on the Christmas cruise. Be interesting to hear from him if the "snags" have been fixed!
Aren't Romig and Wina on the Aurora for the Christmas cruise. Perhaps one of them will do a review. I just hope things are OK for them.

Yes kenmo1 they are, and I hope they are having a great time.

Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed ourselves but the ship just didn't feel completely ready for passengers and took the edge of it.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Having criticised aspects of Aurora in the past, 2012 and 2013, for her dated look I have to say that the P&O production looks very good .... in case you missed it ....

Aurora's new look

:thumbup:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Hello Everyone.

It's been an age since I was on here, been somewhat busy. Recently had two cruises on Oceana but didn't really get the chance to do reports. Had a great time though.

Anyway we will soon be on Aurora for the World Cruise. I do have reservations about the new look only because we have sailed on her so many times she felt like a second home. We were last on her Sept 2013. Also our last world cruise was 2012 and strangly enough I feel quite nervous about it but I know once I am on there and meet up with old friends I'll be alright.
My only real concern is the disappearance of Cafe Bordeuax as this was the only place we had breakfast & lunch.
I do think though they should have painted the Aurora name in yellow so you could see it or move it elsewhere so that it was visible.
I will be doing reports/blog while on the world cruise so I will let you know my thoughts.

Toodle pip folks
Melsea

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote:
Having criticised aspects of Aurora in the past, 2012 and 2013, for her dated look I have to say that the P&O production looks very good .... in case you missed it ....

Aurora's new look

They don't mention about not changing the cabin TVs which look like they came off the ark and worked about as good. They also forgot to include dusters in the budget going by the filth on some of the surfaces in the cabin. And window cleaning is definitely not part of the new look either going by the state of all the outside glass which had a mixture of filth and paint over them. Not exactly P&O's finest hour in trying to make a good impression regardless of the know doubt expensive promotion video.

Topic author
Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Stephen wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:

Aurora's new look

They don't mention about not changing the cabin TVs which look like they came off the ark and worked about as good. They also forgot to include dusters in the budget going by the filth on some of the surfaces in the cabin. And window cleaning is definitely not part of the new look either going by the state of all the outside glass which had a mixture of filth and paint over them. Not exactly P&O's finest hour in trying to make a good impression regardless of the know doubt expensive promotion video.
Sorry to hear that ... :o

At the time our main concerns related to the ' Orangery ' plus the general state of the cabin fabrics, also the copious quantities of water leaking through the ceilings of C Deck plus the theatre but filth was certainly NOT in evidence for us in 2012 or 2013 in either a large outside cabin on C Deck nor a suite on B Deck.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

As I shall boarding her on Jan 8th it doesn't sound like people are pleased with it, I will reserve judgement as on many occasions I have read negative post about the ship's fleet only to find it isn't quite what I thought and in some occasions I have been pleasantly surprised, granted though the cruises have been short ones and so I don't think you get quite the measure of a ship on short cruise. It will be interesting to see for ourselves and I will report on my finds.

Melsea

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Just got back home today after a great cruise on a wonderful ship. I'll post a review of sorts as I get chance in the next few days. :thumbup:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Welcome back Romig. Pleased to hear you had a good time. :wave: :thumbup:

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

It's one of our favourite ships and if it was a good cruise a bit of blue paint wouldn't put us off!

Funny isn't it. In ten years time, if they decide to paint the funnels a mucky yellow colour there will be howls of protest!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Also having just returned from Aurora, we are very happy with just about everything that has been done to her. Plenty of the usual whingers on board who object to any kind of change but she is still a lovely ship.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Good to hear Cubie. Not the whingers bit but that you enjoyed it.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'm always grateful to be on holiday, Merv, and especially on a lovely ship, being waited on hand and foot. What's to moan about ?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Oh you're never going to get any compensation are you? :sarcasm:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

qbman1 wrote:
Also having just returned from Aurora, we are very happy with just about everything that has been done to her. Plenty of the usual whingers on board who object to any kind of change but she is still a lovely ship.
Listening to several of the moaners on board, it was clear that whatever P&O did to the ship was going to be sneered at at derided. One woman moaned that they had "added extra money-making dining venues". Indeed they have, but not at the expense of previous facilities, and it isn't obligatory to visit them. I was really impressed with the ship - and now consider it to be my favourite.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I even had one who objected to the colour of the curtains in the cabins !!!!

One recurring moan was the loss of Café Bordeaux which, to be fair was a good alternative venue for breakfast. The Glass House did offer a light breakfast, akin to Café Vivo on Arcadia but strangely, this was not advertised anywhere on board so many people were not aware of the option

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Glad to hear you can still get breakfast there. We often ended up there as we were too late for anywhere else.

I always liked it as the original Café Bordeaux and thought it actually went down hill after it became MP-W. Much prefer the Glass House offerings on Azura so look forward to seeing this one.

Return to “About Aurora”