Udaipur - Day 2

This is a link from my blog about my trip to India in 2014

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Udaipur - Day 2

Post by david63 »

Today has been a leisure day – the most energetic activity being going for a boat ride on Lake Pichola. The main attraction on the lake is the Lake Palace Hotel which was built between in the 1740s by Maharana Jagat Singh II as a royal summer. Now you may ask “how do you build a palace in the middle of a lake?” – this where a bit of lateral thinking is required. First you build a palace on dry land then you flood the land to create a lake and hey presto you have a palace sat in the middle of a lake – simple really!

After all of that exertion the rest of the day has been spent lying in the sun around our own personal semi-private pool.

For this evening we had, before we arrived, arranged for a “dining experience” in the pavilion which is on the edge of the lake looking out to the City Palace.

As a surprise, and to earn extra Brownie points, I had organised that Maxine had a sari to wear for the night. Now the thing about this was that everyone at the hotel seemed to know about this as they we in on the surprise (it had been arranged via our tour operator in the UK, the main tour agent in Delhi, the local tour agent in Udaipur and the hotel over the last five or six weeks!) – all went to plan and one of the young ladies from Guest Services came to give a lesson in how to “wrap” a sari. I have to admit that it was worth all the planning.

Anyway now to the meal – this was a customised menu for us with our own selection and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tomorrow we are off to Mumbai – yet another internal flight!

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Udaipur - Day 2

Post by Romig1 »

You old smoothie!

Did you reciprocate, and wear a lungi? I could just picture you in a skirt :D

Really enjoying reading your reports (and the pictures) :thumbup:

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I have now caught up with all your adventures David - what a wonderful time you are having - I'll tackle the photos tomorrow :thumbup:
Janis

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

You are obviously having a very enjoyable trip and I am enjoying reading about it all. Though even that does make me tired!
Gill

Return to “David's Trip to India”