Genoa to Barbados

Reports about cruises on Ventura

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Genoa to Barbados

Post by Kenmo1 »

Because of Ken's travel insurance costs we have stuck to Europe for the last few cruises but I recently read about Holiday Extras Insurance on another cruise forum and for £671 we got worldwide annual insurance to cover us both so decided to go to the Caribbean and hopefully America during this annual cover. We have been quoted some huge amounts by other insurance companies and at least with Holiday Extras I was able to speak to a person rather than doing boxes on the internet. We also made sure we were telling the full story to the insurance company after making Ken's first visit to see a doctor in 7 years. Usually he just visits the nurse at the CHD clinic once a year. Our friends were already booked on the Genoa to Barbados repositioning and they suggested we join them. It was from October 15th to November 9th 24 nights but we ended up doing 25 nights having been diverted to the Azores and put up in a hotel because the crew had gone over their hours due to diversion for a medical emergency.

We usually sail from Southampton as we live on the Isle of Wight so normally we don't have to think about luggage weight/electrical goods/toiletries etc etc which you have to think about with fly-cruises. All our paperwork said 1 suitcase each of 20 kgs to Genoa and 23 kgs back from Barbados so it looked like we would have to stick to 20 kgs. By sheer chance I spotted information on the PO frequently asked questions site which said for our repositioning cruise we could have 23 kgs both ways although paperwork continued to arrive quoting 20kgs so I phoned PO to confirm it was right and quickly phoned my friend to advise her as 2 lots of 3 kgs can make a lot of difference for a couple (although I made use of the extra weight rather than my husband). It seems so unfair that if you haven't got access to the internet you wouldn't be aware of this. Our check in time for Gatwick was 3.30 am and because the local ferry company Wightlink had been making various cancellations to the ferry timetable recently we decided to leave the Island on the 21.47 pm catamaran from Ryde to Portsmouth on the night of the 14th and had a taxi from Portsmouth to Gatwick where we arrived at midnight and had a long six hours of hanging about before flying at 6.30 am on the 15th.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Genoa to Barbados

Post by Kenmo1 »

The Thompson flight was excellent and we were sat by a window and had a glorious sunrise view and some stunning snow scenes over the Alps and there were some wonderful cloud formations so the flight passed quite quickly. A 15 minute coach trip took us to the ship and as we had priority boarding we were quickly on the Ventura in our mid ships obstructed view cabin. The luggage arrived quite quickly and was soon hung up. The card in the cabin said we had been allocated freedom dining in the Cinnamon Restaurant which we didn't mind at all. The Horizon newspaper showed that Jimmy James was going to be on in the Arena Theatre that night so the WOW factor kicked in straight away as I love Jimmy James. We sat out on deck in the warm sunshine until muster duty and met up with our friends who had travelled out later on a Thomas Cook flight with 2 other friends who we soon got on well with.. We had an early meal and went to the Jimmy James show and loved every minute of it.
Thursday, 16th Oct. Monte Carlo/Monaco. A lovely sunny day and we were moored so walked off the ship at 10am and turned left to follow the path up to the Palace Our previous visit to Monaco had been some years ago on a Thompson ship and we had moored some way out of town and had been driven in by coach but, although hilly, this was so much better to be able to amble up the hillside. We wandered around and got back to see the Changing of the Guards at 11.55 am. We continued to wander about through parks and gardens until 2.30 ish then headed back down to the ship. The Adonia had arrived during that time and was moored out in the bay with the tenders running back and forwards. A really nice visit.
As we passed the Waterside buffet we saw Joseph who had been our waiter on a Canaries trip on Arcadia a couple of years ago and had seen him again last year on Arcadia and he came out and shook our hands. He must think we are stalking him as we kept bumping into him on this trip. We had an early meal so that we could go to see Tom O'Connor in the Arena Theatre and he was so funny. It was a full house.
The Entertainments Manager was Hughie Taylor though we only saw him occasionally. Deputy Captain Derek Gray was in charge of the ship as Captain Charlie Carr was called away the previous week.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Friday, 17rg October - Toulon - I had very vague memories of Toulon as we had called there years ago on a Thompson ship. Ventura was actually moored at La Seyne sur Mer and there was a complimentary shuttle boat service to Toulon. We wandered up through the market and later wandered around the seafront and had a coffee before returning to the ship. We had a late lunch then sunbathed for a while. Later we watched the sailaway at 5 pm and had a burger and chips meal and bumped into Julieanna, a wine waitress we knew from the Arcadia, who came up and gave us a hug. It was really good to have these late in the day times to leave port as it was nicer to enjoy the late afternoon on deck in the sunshine. Having had an early meal we were able to see Rob Lewis singing in the Havanna at 8pm then go to see the Headliners group in the Arena theatra at 10.30pm, an advantage of Freedom Dining. The Headliners group were the best we have ever seen, good strong voices and very much a team but they had been together for 9 months and finished their contract when we arrived in Barbados.

[u]Saturday, 18th October - At Sea Went to the dance class at 10 am then went and bought a Costa Coffee card in Tazzine for £21 for 10 drinks. You can have some gorgeous pieces of gateau with the coffee so my diet went straight out of the window after that. We went to the Captains Welcome Party at 6pm then had a very nice meal of Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska. Watched the comedian in the Havanna at 8.30pm then saw Jimmy James in the Arena at 10.45pm. Would have gone to see the lead male singer from the Headliners, Adam Ilsley, in the Tamarind Club at 11.30 pm but we were too tired. There is almost too much good entertainment on this ship - it is quite exhausting !!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Enjoying your review so far. Thanks for sharing with us.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Sounding good so far Maureen :clap:
Jo

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sunday, 19th October - Barcelona - In dock this morning along with Noordam, Liberty of the Seas and NCL Epic. Another lovely day. We caught the shuttle bus to the Christopher
Columbus monument. Everyone's card was scanned and we were charged £3 each way per person as we paid late savers rate. I see we got a saving of 30p off on our account due to Peninsular club so really the cost was £2.70. We walked to the metro Parall-1. Between 6 of us we bought 1 x 10 rides euro ticket at 10 euros and 2 single trip tickets at 2 euros 50 each so a total of 15 euros making the cost per couple 5 euros. One of the staff confirmed that one person could use the ticket, go through the turnstile then pass it back to the next person. We went on the L2 route to the Sagrada Familia. We saw it some years ago but a brand new, much more modern looking block has been added on. I didn't like the modern bit but it might look better once it has weathered in. After wandering around the area we caught the metro Parall-1 and then wandered down Las Ramblas. There seemed to be a demonstration going on in connection with a vote for independence for Catalonia, people wearing large flags around them and even 2 Yorkshire Terriers were wearing coats made from the flags. There were long queues for the shuttle buses but they moved quite quickly and the cards were scanned again. We went to the British sailaway and there was a lot of hooting of the horn on Ventura and the Liberty of the Seas as it went by.

Charlie Carr has returned as Captain and can be seen round the ship clutching his 'worry' beads which he calls concentration beads.

Saw Blame it on the Boogie by by the Headliners tonight and also Jon Fisher as Gary Barlow - quite good.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Monday, 20th October - Palma - Temperature again up in the top twenties. Azamara Journey also in port. Shuttle bus originally charge dat £4.50 each way but then account shows a refund of £1.50 each so only £3. We have been to Palma many times and get much pleasure from wandering up through the gardens behind the cathedral. We then wandered up through all the small, narrow streets which branched off to the right and which we hadn't been up before. Although it was a port day, the formal night was held tonight instead of the sea day tomorrow. This was because people leaving in Malaga on Wednesday would have packed their formal wear on Tuesday night. It was also the Peninsular Cocktail party tonight. I was surprised how well the dress code was adhered to on Ventura and the majority of people made a real effort even on the smart casual nights. After early dinner we went to see Phil Melbourne, a comedian and singer and then attended the late show in the Arena with Gary Levine playing a violin, very upbeat, well known music and very enjoyable. We were too tired to go and see Shaun Perry at 11.30 pm.

Tuesday, 21st October- At Sea. - Yet another hot day. We went to the Rumba class and then put back on all the calories we had lost dancing having a Costa coffee and gateau. I saw a nice sun dress for £35 in the shop on board but it would have cost me £42 if I had bought it there and then so I asked the assistant to put it by until after we left Malaga as I would have had to pay Italian VAT at 22% if I had bought it before. Because the ship had not gone to a non EU country during the trip from Genoa-Malaga this VAT had to be paid on all purchases. The poor cruisers who got on in Genoa and off in Malaga were well and truly hit by this tax. Not surprisingly the shops were not doing a lot of business, just people looking. Tonight's entertainment was Jon Fisher as Gary Barlow and Rob Lewis as a very believable Phil Collins. Then Tom O'Connor in the Arena Theatre. Another excellent night for entertainment. Tomorrow 1500 people are leaving the ship in Malaga.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Wednesday, 22 October - Malaga - Apparently another 1500 people were due to replace the 1500 who got off in Malaga. We caught the shuttle bus again at a cost of £3 each per journey. There seems to be a new one-way system which didn't seem as quick as the old system. After crossing the road to the main street we caught the Number 35 bus to the Gilbafaro Fort. The bus cost 1 .30 euros each way and the entrance to the fort was 1.20 euros each for senior citizens. Excellent views or the bullring and an interesting walk around the walls but it was sooooo hot. We caught the 35 bus back but hit absolute gridlock everywhere as some sort of a demonstration going on. We went to the Cathedral for a look round cost 5 euros each to go in. At 4 pm we wandered back to the ship and a roadside temperature reading showed 39 degrees and I felt everyone one of them, phew !! Once we sailed I collected my new sundress. Manuel Martinez was the comedian/magician in the Havanna. Be warned - do not sit in the front. The man is as mad as a hatter, very rude to everybody and extremely funny. Later we went to see the violinist Gary Levini again. Another good night's entertainment.

Thursday, 23rd October - At sea. - Today was one of our groups 70th birthday and 2 of the couples had Peninsular champagne which we took down to the Bay Tree Restaurant where we always had breakfast. We asked for 6 glasses of orange juice which we then topped up with one bottle of champagne. The waiters realised it was a birthday celebration and came and sang happy birthday to our friend. We did the same at lunch time with the second bottle of champagne. In the evening we went to the Marco Pierre White Restaurant - a surcharge of £25 per person. However, if you got there by 6.30 pm each couple on separate bookings got a free bottle of wine so we chose 3 different ones which we all enjoyed. We were also given a Bellini when we sat down. I had a very nice rib eye steak and I tried 5 garlic snails - can't see what people see in them. We enjoyed the ambience and the meal in MPW as it was a special occasion but I don't think we would pay £25 each just to try it out. I suppose the bottle of £15 off the £50 total surcharge brought it down to £35 per couple. Later we went to see Destination Dance and then listened to a group called Electrix in the Atrium. Another formal evening which was well adhered to.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Friday, 24th October - At Sea - Another sunny, smooth day at sea and a noticeable bit of sunbed hogging going on. We went to the Cha Cha Cha lesson then sat on the prom deck in the shade and saw a big school of dolphins. Really just relaxed all day and I went and bought another sun dress. In the evening we saw Manuel Martinez again in the Havanna, another hilarious show and then we went to the Arena Theatre for the 10.30 pm show by the Walk Like a Man group. A super show of all the Four Seasons songs. Another packed house with people standing on the stairs. Freedom dining really has its advantages for working around the entertainment times. When we got back to the cabin there was a envelope to fill out with flight details. !!

Saturday, 25th October - Tenerife- Another long day ashore. There was a complimentary shuttle bus here to the port gates which we could easily have walked if we had realised earlier that it didn't go any further. Had a good wander around looking in the shops and bought some aftershave for Ken. There were a couple of extremely light rain showers on the way back to the ship. We went to dinner early just after leaving Tenerife and while we were having dinner the lights went out and the engines seemed to cut out. The emergency lighting came on but it was a bit unnerving for a while. Eventually Captain Carr came on and made some crack about losing one or two engines but eventually the lights came back on.
Bruce Parker, an American soul singer was on in the Arena. A good singer if only he would stop jiggling about all over the place. The lead girl singer from the Headliners did a show in the Tamarind Bar and she has a very good voice.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sunday, 26th October - At sea - Another sunny sea day and the same bed hoggers laying like fat shiny seals on the sunbeds. We used to go up to the swimming pool about 7 am and even at that time all the beds were covered with towels, books etc. and nobody in sight. If PO are going to make rules about beds, they need to enforce them. Entertainment tonight was Steve Tandy in Havana. He was hilarious especially when he was doing a Jethro joke - we were crying with laughter. We then saw the Headliners in Stage Door. Later on, Rob Linacre was singing in the Tamarind Club but it was too late for us. The entertainment here knocks spots off what we were offered on Arcadia in the summer.

Monday, 27th October - At Sea. - We had a very early breakfast as we were going to the Baltic Lunch at 12 noon. We were sat on the Deputy Captain's table, Derek Gray, a very nice, very approachable man who kept us laughing. His wife is expecting their first child at Christmas. We had lots to drink and I tried lobster tails as a starter and sea bream as a main meal. It was a casual evening and after a 'small dinner' later in the evening we went to see Peter White as Kenny Rogers in Havana and then Mike Doyle, a very funny comedian and excellent singer, in the Arena Theatre.

Tuesday 28th October - At sea. - Can't believe the glorious weather and calm seas we were having. Sunbathed before breakfast and then had another restful day. Didn't go to Chocoholics, I always find them too sickly. In the evening we saw Lavena Johnson as Whitney Houston then the Headliners in Reflex.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Wednesday, 29th October - At Sea - Another nice day until 3.30 pm when there were a few showers and a glorious rainbow arcing over the back of the ship, very close and we got some lovely photos - I've never seen the start and end of a rainbow so close together and you felt you could touch it. Entertainment was Steve Tandy, very good but I never find second shows as funny as the first show. Bruce Parker was on in the Arena still jumping around like a cat in a sack.

Thursday, 30th October - At Sea - Another incredibly hot, calm day. Again all the sunbeds covered with towels and belongings at some unearthly hour. We went to dance class for the quickstep and then relaxed for the rest of day. We saw Peter White and Lavena Johnson in the Havana then Mike Doyle in the Arena. He sang beautifully but I didn't find him quite so funny this time.

Friday, 31st October. - At Sea - Sunny and calm again. 11.45 am went to the Arena Theatre to see Maleficent with Angelina Jolie in it. I quite enjoyed it but the air conditioning in the theatre was on so fiercely that I had to wrap a towel around my shoulders, but once outside it was very, very hot. Went in the large Waterside pool in the afternoon for an hour. In the evening went to see the Headliners in Hot Ticket and then realised that we had seen it at the beginning of the cruise and was being repeated for those who joined in Malaga.

This was our last sea day - how lucky we had been with the weather and the sun bed hoggers were now looking very leathery.

SueandPhil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SueandPhil »

We joined as 2 of the 1500 in Malaga, so looking forward to reading the remainder of your report. Have to agree about the sunbed situation, wasn't too bad on the first sea day I thought but as the days went on people began to realise that the only way to get a sunbed was to put a towel, book, bag, sunglassses and even saw a full breakfast tray on one! The longest Time I had a 'reserved' bed beside me was from 8.30 till 2.30 in the afternoon This cruise is getting some very bad press on other forums, but I have to say, apart from the occasional child diving in the pool, I saw no bad behaviour. The usual stories are circulating, from stolen watches, wedding party fights, and the dress stolen in the launderette yarn. I have to say that We both enjoyed this cruise as much as any other
Phil :D

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Saturday, 1st November - St Martin - Hooray, land at last and temperatures of 30 degrees. We caught the water taxi at 7 dollars return to go across to the shops. We wandered around the shops for a while, really just to get in the airconditioned ones. It was our intention to go swimming off the beach but it was just so unbelievably hot that we all decided to head back to the ship. On the way I bought a straw hat. I was wearing the second sundress which I had bought on board ship and received 3 different compliments from 2 local ladies and then from an American lady off the Carnival Valour which was moored next to us who said ' Gee honey, that's a real pretty dress.' It is a lovely mixture of shades of green and blue
swirls. We didn't bother with the show that night - it was someone called Tucker, a comedian. Opinions seemed to differ about the act.

Sunday, 2nd November - Antigua - A thunderstorm early morning on the way to St Johns made the decks very wet as we arrived. At 10 am the 6 of us met up with 2 other people we had got friendly with to go to Long Bay, a beach a good half and hours drive away which some of the group had visited before. The cost was 8 dollars each one way and 8 dollars each back at 2.30 pm. Unfortunately, a recent storm had pushed a band of seaweed up onto what would have been a lovely beach. We hired sunbeds for 5 dollars each and parked ourselves under a tree to avoid burning. We spent ages in the sea watching all the fishes and a couple of the group went further out snorkeling. As Ken started walking back to the taxi his very old water sandals fell to bits so when we got back to St Johns we had to do a bit of shopping for some beach shoes.

Blame it on the Boogie was repeated again so the Malaga people could see it.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

SueandPhil wrote:
We joined as 2 of the 1500 in Malaga, so looking forward to reading the remainder of your report. Have to agree about the sunbed situation, wasn't too bad on the first sea day I thought but as the days went on people began to realise that the only way to get a sunbed was to put a towel, book, bag, sunglassses and even saw a full breakfast tray on one! The longest Time I had a 'reserved' bed beside me was from 8.30 till 2.30 in the afternoon This cruise is getting some very bad press on other forums, but I have to say, apart from the occasional child diving in the pool, I saw no bad behaviour. The usual stories are circulating, from stolen watches, wedding party fights, and the dress stolen in the launderette yarn. I have to say that We both enjoyed this cruise as much as any other
Phil :D
I saw the review on the other cruise forum and also heard all the rumours circulating. I bet no one stole the massive bra that was left in the launderette - I've never seen such a huge one. We did see 2 rather inebriated men helping each other along the jetty in Dominica and heard that one of them had been in an argument with someone in the lift. One rumour was that they had been kicked off the ship but someone else said they were still on the ship. We felt it was one of the best cruises we have been on and we are usually die-hard Arcadians. We ended up with an extra days holiday because of a medical emergency on the flight home from Barbados and ended up in a hotel in the Azores because the crew had gone over their hours.

Please feel free to add any info you want as we all look at things differently and have varying opinions about things which will help other people get a better picture of Ventura. Maureen

SueandPhil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SueandPhil »

So far Maureen I agree with all your observations. We had a great table in Bay Tree (second sitting) for 8 and came across a couple of waiters on deck who remembered us first from a previous cruise. Joel, the maitre de also remembered us as did the somelier Grace. This all helps to make the cruise that little bit more special and I find that a smile and a polite hello will always be returned by crew and passengers alike
Phil

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Loving these reports.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Me too - thank you.
Gill

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Thanks folks for your kind comments. Only a bit more to go.

Monday, 3rd November - Dominica - Well, what can one say about Dominica. We had 'visited' the island some years ago on a Thompson ship which pulled in at Portsmouth. Having seen a couple of wrecks on the beach near there and then getting off and coming face to face with an absolute barricade of taxi drivers, my husband took one look and said I'm getting back on board - it was early days in our cruising and we weren't used to the taxi drivers etc. So, this time we were determined to get off and see what Roseau had to offer. We had been told that it was Independence Day and that some places might be closed but the usual market stalls selling the same old tat were set up along the quay. We had to walk along a jetty to get to the quay and the air was very humid. We got through the barrage of taxi drivers and wandered up through the town and soon realised there wasn't much up there for us to get excited about so we headed back down to the seafront. We wandered through the stalls and then went across to the Fort Young Hotel Complex to get a drink and try the WiFi. Actually, the toilet facilities were good, there was a porch canopy to sit under with a sea view and eventually we were able to log on to the WiFi - we didn't use the Fort Young one as you needed a password but there was a free visitors one but it was very slow. Eventually we got on and sent a quick message to our son and received a reply saying he could collect us from the Wightlink ferry on Sunday, 9th November as they had changed their weekend plans. Obviously this didn't happen in the end because of not arriving back on the IW until the early hours of Monday morning due to the flight diversion. We relaxed on board on the prom in the afternoon and watched the two drunk men stagger up the jetty, possibly after a Rum Runner trip??? Also, a lady was brought back on board with her leg in plaster - I bet she was glad to get back on board and not have to stay in hospital in Dominica. I can back from there with a few large mossie bites. Those who went to the Emerald Falls & Rain Forest seemed to enjoy it. In the evening we went to see the Opera Boys who sang classical pop and opera. Very good. The alternative was Jeff Dingle as Bruno Mars.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Tuesday, 4th November - Martinique - This was our only new port so we were looking forward to this. We were up on the prom as the ship docked and we were welcomed to Fort de France by a young man on those jet things that push water through from the attached jet ski and it lifts them up in the air on the jet of water. He was a real showman doing all sorts of tricks, diving into the sea like a dolphin and other clever tricks. This went on for quite some time and anyone not on our side of the ship would not have seen this clever display. Fort de France looked quite built up so we thought about just wandering around the town. However, we checked out the taxi tours when we got off and instantly said no to the drivers who wanted 50 dollars per person for a 3 hour trip. Further back we found one for 40 dollars each and he eventually accepted 35 dollars each when we found 2 others to join our group of six. Like he said, business was slow and I am not surprised at that because of the high amounts they were asking. Be aware that Euros are the currency here but they will accept US Dollars. It was actually a very good tour with a very pleasant driver who didn't rush us at any of the stops. We went to the Sacre Coeur Church of Martinique and had some good views from the surrounding area. We then went up into the rainforest and on to a lovely waterfall but it was quite a difficult climb down stairs and across stepping stones/rocks to get to an area where we could take photos of the waterfall. Eventually we landed up at the inevitable Rhum Factory. We were desperate for a drink at this stage but certainly not rum. Once we could buy water from the restaurant we then wandered round in the boiling heat but I'm afraid only two people in our group bought drink. On the way back we saw Mount Pele which was a volcano which exploded in 1902 and the gases killed over 30,000 people in the nearby town of St Pierre and only a prisoner in an underground cell survived.
Entertainment was Tucker again tonight or a Tropical Party on deck or one of the Headliners singing group doing a solo act. We were far too tired after a very good day out to bother with the entertainment so had an early night after a hot chocolate in Tazzine. Obviously starting to feel my age !!! We really enjoyed our visit to Martinique.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Wednesday, 5th November - St Lucia - On our last visit to St Lucia in 2011, Ken collapsed with dehydration and had to be put on a drip in the medical centre and we ended uo with a bill for £435. This time we decided to take things very easy and we just walked around Port Seraphind. We caught the water taxi back to the ship - 3 dollars each for one way and this saved walking in the heat. We had a bite to eat and later a swim in the back pool. When we were sat undercover having a cup of tea, there were a few heavy showers which immediately cleared all the sunbeds but as we were sat under the overhang of the deck above we kept fairly dry. In the evening we went to see Reel to Reel. As I said previously the Headliners and the technical stuff like lighting and pyrotechnics have been exceptional. This was the last show of their contract and they thoroughly deserved the standing ovation.

Thursday,6th November - Grenada - A showery grey morning so plans to take a water taxi across to Grand Anse beach were put on hold. The Jewel of the Seas was moored right next to us blocking out all our light and view. We wandered around the terminal and up through the town but as it was very humid and showery we decided to head back to the ship for a light lunch. We went out again in the afternoon for a bit more exercise but the on/off showers continued.

We went to see the Opera Boys again in the evening and thoroughly enjoyed their singing.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Friday, 7th November - Day 1 in Barbados. - We were told to be at immigration at between 8.15 and 8.45 but things moved swiftly and we were called much earlier which gave us plenty of time to have breakfast in the Bay Tree restaurant. We thought the buffet would be very packed with those people flying home today but we had booked an extra day in Barbados so that we could have a day out there. We have done the usual trips around the island plus visited Harrison Caves so wanted a beach day. Our friends were aware of the Southern Palms Beach Hotel in St Lawrence Gap so we took the shuttle bus there and used their facilities, including changing rooms and swimming pool. The red flag was up for swimming in the sea but there were people in taking a chance. We had a lovely day there and there were enough shady places for me to keep out of the sun. We just had a couple of light showers but they passed over quickly but we could see quite big clouds heading towards Bridgetown.

Suitcases had to be out by 11 pm that night so some serious packing in the evening and then meeting up in the Tazzine with some friends we had met to say goodbye.

We kept back some light clothes for the next morning in Barbados as we weren't due to leave the ship until 1.45 to go to the airport for a 5 pm flight.

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thanks for your reports, I've really enjoyed reading them
Gill

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Saturday, 8th November - Day 2 Barbados.

We had to vacate our cabin at 9 am. There were heavy showers and very grey all morning but we managed to walk up to the terminal building to do some last minute shopping in between the showers. After an early lunch we decided to change into our travel clothes and then sat around with our hand luggage. During the lunch we had heard an announcement calling people on one of the Manchester flights to a meeting in Havana at 12 noon. We were later told that they wouldn't be leaving at lunchtime as expected and that all their luggage had been brought back on board. From what we could gather, their plane had been sent to Cuba to pick up people from a broken down plane and, obviously, the domino effect had kicked in and everything else had been affected. They were reallocated cabins and were told that they would sail out of Barbados overnight , I suppose to save on port fees, and be brought back into Barbados the next day to offload them and to pick up the new people who should have arrived from Manchester who were going to be held up there for at least 12 hours.

Rather smugly we were relieved when our flight was called at 1.45pm. Mind you, it poured with rain as we headed along the jetty to where the coaches were so we sat on board the coaches with wet clothes, slowly steaming dry. We met up with our friends at the airport as they were due to fly out 10 minutes earlier than us on a Thomas Cook flight rather than on the Thompson Dreamliner we were due to fly. We were called 10 minutes earlier than them so again, rather smugly we said cheerio, and headed for TOM 025 at Gate 14. All seemed to be going quite well with the flight until the main meal was being dished out.

Topic author
Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Saturday, 8th November - On the plane somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean
Things seemed fine at first as we received our meal and we were looking forward to landing at Gatwick at 5 am on Sunday, 9th November where a taxi was booked to pick us up and take us down to Portsmouth to catch a ferry to the Isle of Wight. While eating our meal we became aware that there was a problem with the man sat immediately in front of me. Crew were gathering round and a call was put out for medical assistance from any doctors or nurses on board. Two wonderful nurses turned up and spoke to the gentleman, helping him with oxygen, taking his pulse, all the time talking to him. Crew members were trying to get some medical history from his wife and it appeared he had had a stroke. I cannot praise the two ladies enough - I would want them as my nurse any time. Things settled for a while with the nurses and crew checking on him all the time. We dozed for a while but it was difficult to sleep with all the activity going on right next to us so I was aware that things were deteriorating. I heard a crew member say that we might have to divert. The nurses, as well as checking the man, also liaised with Medicare or Medilink via the captain. We had the flight map up which showed us 2 or 3 hours from Gatwick. We eventually became aware that we had changed course and seemed to be heading towards the Azores which looked like the nearest land about 1 and 1/2 hours away. The captain then made an announcement that we would be landing at Lajes Military Airport on the third biggest island in the Azores, Terceira. By this time the poor gentleman had been lifted from his seat and laid out at the back of the plane by the back toilets where the two nurses looked after him until 6 or 7 paramedics from the base got on board and he was eventually carried off on a stretcher covered in those electrical wires. The poor wife followed behind apologising to people for the disruption but we all told her not to worry and hoped things would go well. The next announcement was that the couples luggage would have to be taken off as a plane cannot fly if there is luggage belonging to anyone not on the plane. We would also have to refuel and by that time the crew would be over their flying hours and would have to have 12 hours rest.

SueandPhil
Cadet
Cadet

Post by SueandPhil »

It seems that you watched the same acts as we did. I like Steve Tandy and Manuel Martinez, although I've seen them before. The Headliners are always good and, although I've seen the shows before, they seem to tweek them a little with different songs and small costume changes. You were lucky that you missed Tucker as he 'bombed' in both shows. I'd seen him previously and enjoyed his performance, but this time he was sadly lacking. Many pax walked out in his first show(10.30 performance) which I find very poor manners. I really enjoyed the Opera Boys and thought they were the stand out performers on this cruise. They were also very approachable as they walked round the ship. Martinque was also a first for us and we got an early ferry to Pointe de Bout and managed to secure a sunbed on the hotel beach. It got very crowded later and many were turned away. The ferry back in the afternoon got very crowded as the only run every hour pm on weekdays. Some didn't get on and had to wait till the next ferry arrived. I thought the 'ambassadors in the port area were a great idea and you could get a smile from them with an attempt at pigeon french. I'd heard previously that they were a surly crowd but an attempt to speak their language was met with favour. In Dominica we have found that unless you want to sit in a bar all day the only things to do are a tour or stay on board. It is even worse if you dock at the alternative port, Woodbridge. Still, shouldn't complain too much as it was an additional port anyway. By the way the topic on cc has degenerated into personal attacks, some are really spiteful and I'm surprised it hasn't been pulled
Phil

Return to “Ventura Cruise Reports”