Venice tourism suicide

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Venice tourism suicide

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I see that after banning large cruise ships because they blame them, rather than the local Vaporetti, for undermining their foundations, Venetians now plan to ban wheeled suitcases, and worse, fine anyone who brings one, because they don't like the noise.

Venice has pretty much no income other than tourism. It also has no roads. Some of the hotels are right on the waterfront and can be reached by water taxi, if you can get one (when we stayed there for a week the waiting time at the airport for a water taxi was over an hour so we didn't bother). But most accommodation requires a walk from the nearest Vaporetto stop.

When we did it that walk would have been impossible if I'd had to carry our luggage for a week's stay. (Trish's back will not allow her to carry a moderate sized suitcase). So without wheels we cannot consider another land stay. And I'm sure we're not the only ones.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Venice tourism suicide

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I see that after banning large cruise ships because they blame them, rather than the local Vaporetti, for undermining their foundations, Venetians now plan to ban wheeled suitcases, and worse, fine anyone who brings one, because they don't like the noise.

Venice has pretty much no income other than tourism. It also has no roads. Some of the hotels are right on the waterfront and can be reached by water taxi, if you can get one (when we stayed there for a week the waiting time at the airport for a water taxi was over an hour so we didn't bother). But most accommodation requires a walk from the nearest Vaporetto stop.

When we did it that walk would have been impossible if I'd had to carry our luggage for a week's stay. (Trish's back will not allow her to carry a moderate sized suitcase). So without wheels we cannot consider another land stay. And I'm sure we're not the only ones.
You can always go by water instead of wheeling the cases, can't you?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Can you buy suitcases without wheels these days?

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

david63 wrote:
Can you buy suitcases without wheels these days?
Not easy. A junior hacksaw should do the trick :)

Topic author
Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

When we went for a week we did go by water as far as we could - i.e. the nearest Vaporetto stop. But it was still quite a walk to our accommodation. More than I can lug a couple of suitcases with togs for a week.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

When we went for a week we did go by water as far as we could - i.e. the nearest Vaporetto stop. But it was still quite a walk to our accommodation. More than I can lug a couple of suitcases with togs for a week.
I'm sure that if this requirement is enforced there would soon be a supply of porters with luggage trolleys readily available. It wouldn't be like the Italians to miss such an opportunity. (Yes, I know, they still have wheels but it's the the little noisy ones that they're trying to erradicate.)

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”