Azura Refit?

Discussions about anything related to Azura

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Azura Refit?

Post by MaureenB »

I understand that Azura is going into refit on her return from the Caribbean early April. Does anyone have details of what the works will cover?

Reason I am asking is that I have just booked the first cruise after the refit (A508) and I am curious as to the changes. I have been on her many times and love her as she is!

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers

Maureen

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Azura Refit?

Post by towny44 »

MaureenB wrote:
I understand that Azura is going into refit on her return from the Caribbean early April. Does anyone have details of what the works will cover?

Reason I am asking is that I have just booked the first cruise after the refit (A508) and I am curious as to the changes. I have been on her many times and love her as she is!

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers

Maureen
Maureen, it will be a routine 5 yr drydock which is required for all cruise ships, I think they generally service all the underwater gear and usually repaint under the water line.
The only other item I have found on Google is that the Oasis pool will be re-designed so that it is no longer exclusively for the Retreat passengers, But I think I also read somewhere that all ships will now be given 32" wide screen TVs during future refits.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Thank you Towny.

So it's just a bottom touching up exercise :lol:

I somehow got the feeling that it was an internal re fit. No matter, as I said earlier I like her just the way she is!!

Best regards
Maureen

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I presume she'll also get the new livery on funnel and bow.

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Oh gosh............... I hadn't thought of that................... :roll:

Oh well, once aboard the graffiti may not be so noticeable !!

Cheers

Maureen

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
But what if nobody likes it?

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
But what if nobody likes it?
I guess you mean what if you don't like it.

I think it is unlikely that nobody will like it. As with everything else, opinions will be divided.

Personally I find I can't see the outside of the ship from inside, so it will not greatly bother me either way.

But there will be those demanding compensation because it has ruined their life. And if P&O change it back in 5 years time they'll be moaning again.

For all those, I remind them OTHER SHIPS ARE AVAILABLE!

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
That's terrible marketing. Imagine standing at the entrance to Tescos (or Sainsburys or Waitrose or whichever....) and shouting 'OTHER STORES ARE AVAILABLE!'.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
That's terrible marketing. Imagine standing at the entrance to Tescos (or Sainsburys or Waitrose or whichever....) and shouting 'OTHER STORES ARE AVAILABLE!'.
Not if the customers are bitching because your Tesco products are in Lidl packaging.

And it would seem a major marketing coup to foist people who gripe about the colour of your funnel onto your competitors. I'd much rather travel on a ship without the moaners.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Not if the customers are bitching because your Tesco products are in Lidl packaging.

And it would seem a major marketing coup to foist people who gripe about the colour of your funnel onto your competitors. I'd much rather travel on a ship without the moaners.
If you're happy with an unsatisfactory product then you deserve to be fleeced.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
Mervyn and Trish wrote:

How on earth can the funnel and bow colour on a ship lead any normal person to label a cruise line unsatisfactory?
John

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote:
Quizzical Bob wrote:
How on earth can the funnel and bow colour on a ship lead any normal person to label a cruise line unsatisfactory?
We're not talking normal here. This is QB!

benways72
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Re: Azura Refit? - Freedom Dining Change?

Post by benways72 »

I have just returned from A503 and there are strong rumours of changes to restaurant dining following complaints of insufficient Freedom Dining capacity on the Caribbean Cruises.
The Peninsular Restaurant may become an additional Freedom Dining Restaurant.
I have posted a note on this forum to try and get clarification.

Certainly there has been a change in passenger requirements on Caribbean cruises away from Club Dining. The nature of the cruise has meant that diners prefer the flexibility of Freedom Dinining but there has been no room in the Meridian. As a result diners have migrated to the Buffet. (Venezia) which in turn has become overcrowded

I believe that P&O have been very slow to react to this situation as there were many discontented diners on cruise A503. (Not with the food I hasten to add ! )

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I've replied on your other thread with what I've been able to find on the P&O site, which neither confirms or denies what you've heard. It may be that having been on board recently you know more than many others.

But as to P&O being slow to react, hard to judge. We and many others prefer Club Dining so it's not clear cut. Your cruise may be typical or may not. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

oldtimer
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by oldtimer »

A bigger TV is welcome. We were on Azura last April and furniture in some areas now dirty and worn, especially in Costa where chair arm rests are threadbare.

Keith 323
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith 323 »

Hi just got off A506 today at Southampton, apparently it's a £30m refit which I assume will include routine maintenance, but they had started ripping up the carpets as we were getting off. All the shops are being emptied , ripped out and remodelled, and as 700 contractors were boarding I can only assume other major changes.She sails to Hamburg tonight for completion

First p&o cruise for us, after 3 previous Thomson cruises, not much in it TBH but prefer Thomson crew.

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Hope they get their fingers out we are on her on 8th May, our Gert won't be happy if the cruise is cancelled due to overrun of works.

Capt Black
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Capt Black »

We got off today as well. The only "official" lines we heard regarding the refit concerned the new livery and routine maintenance. Unofficially we heard that cabins were being refreshed, but that there wasn't anything major.

We were on Freedom dining and never had a problem getting a table, admittedly there were six of us travelling together so they simply gave us a table straight away. Did see a few couples getting pagers but only after 19:30ish. On embarkation day there was a bigger than usual queue at the restaurant, presumably to re-arrange dining. My only criticism of Freedom dining was that it seemed to take getting on for 2 hours every evening from start to finish. Great to enjoy the ambience etc, not so great if you want to get a seat in one of the shows.

A very enjoyable cruise. :)

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

Keith 323 wrote:
Hi just got off A506 today at Southampton, apparently it's a £30m refit which I assume will include routine maintenance, but they had started ripping up the carpets as we were getting off. All the shops are being emptied , ripped out and remodelled, and as 700 contractors were boarding I can only assume other major changes.She sails to Hamburg tonight for completion

First p&o cruise for us, after 3 previous Thomson cruises, not much in it TBH but prefer Thomson crew.
Keith - we are relative latecomers to cruising, though we've managed to squeeze several trips in, but have only tried P&O.

My only knowledge of Thomson is being alongside some of their ships in ports we have visited, and my impression was that they all looked a bit run down and in need of some TLC.

I know I shouldn't judge a book by the cover, but are you saying they are similar in terms of public areas, cabins, food, entertainment, style etc, because we like the look, feel, and rhythm of P&O, which is why we've not looked elsewhere (yet)?

I suppose we're a bit daft not trying anyone else; if we'd had that mentality after our many enjoyable beach holidays, we would never have set foot on a ship!

barr0ld
Cadet
Cadet

Post by barr0ld »

I'm showing my stupidity now. I've just had a look at the Thomson forum; please feel free to ignore my previous post :silent:

I could just delete the post, but four things come not back (ok, if you're a pedant I know it was written rather than spoken) ;)

Keith 323
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by Keith 323 »

Hi after 3 previous Thomson cruises I thought I would be blown away by a P&O experience and to a degree we were, newer ship, etc, and although we thouroughly enjoyed the cruise, all 4 of our party said there wasn't much difference. On this trip compared with last thomson cruise, I would say the entertainment on the Thomson ships was better, food on a par, cabins were bigger on the Thomson but I guess P&O want to fit more in understandably, but both comfortable . Agree on the Thomson ships, they are second hand, the Dream was the Costa Europa and just not as modern. I wouldn't be put off by the ship, less people on them which may make people feel more comfortable. Horses for courses I suppose

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I don't do Thomson price comparisons regularly but when I do check they seem to be similar to P&O etc albeit comparing an outside on Thomson to a balcony on the others. So really not a true comparison.
John

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

I will be happy if the oasis pool is going to be opened up for passengers not in the retreat, I have always used this pool on Ventura as its smaller and usually less noisy then the main pools. so all good for us, roll on June and first time on azura.
regards gilly.

Topic author
MaureenB
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by MaureenB »

gilly88 wrote:
I will be happy if the oasis pool is going to be opened up for passengers not in the retreat, I have always used this pool on Ventura as its smaller and usually less noisy then the main pools. so all good for us, roll on June and first time on azura.
The Retreat pool was opened to non-retreat passengers last year. Minor modifications were made at the time to ensure access to the Retreat area and sunbeds was only available to those paying for the exclusive area.
Maureen

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

MaureenB wrote:
gilly88 wrote:
The Retreat pool was opened to non-retreat passengers last year. Minor modifications were made at the time to ensure access to the Retreat area and sunbeds was only available to those paying for the exclusive area.
Maureen

thanks Maureen I didn't know if it was the same on azura but now I will be happy :thumbup:
regards gilly.

Return to “About Azura”