If anyone is going on Cunard......

Anything about Cunard cruises

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

If anyone is going on Cunard......

Post by Dennis The Menace »

......would you mind keeping an eye out for my book in the onboard shop please.

I only ask as, since they stocked them in the autumn, I've had a number of people contact me to say they were unable to buy the book onboard. However, the book wholesaler who placed the order with me say all 3 shops/ships currently have my book on display.

Strange.

I've offered to take the unsold books back from them, or to donate them to the library/free book swap, but for the moment they remain on sale so it would be great if someone could confirm a sighting :D

Thank you

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: If anyone is going on Cunard......

Post by Dancing Queen »

I specifically looked at Xmas on QV and it definitely wasn't on sale :thumbdown:
Jo

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Yes, I fed that back Jo (thanks again). I didn't get a reply from them that time but I had an email last week saying they are "currently" on display so I hope finally they are there (fingers crossed).

It's a wee bit frustrating as you can imagine but also a Cunard regular on another forum has now been intimating that the book isn't on Cunard at all - although why I would make that up I don't know !

Thanks again for checking it out.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I assumed they had sold the stock they had especially as a member on here was unable to obtain one from Amazon ( pre Xmas )

Ignore what a 'Cunard regular' said .. some people can be so petty and like to think they know it all, of course you wouldn't have made it up why would you ?? I'll definitely check for you the next time I'm on board.
Jo

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Thanks Jo. Although the lady at the book wholesaler is very nice, there does seem to be something wrong in the info coming from the onboard shops based on the dozen or so people who have said they can't find it on Cunard.

I think I'll offer to take them back again if you can't see them onboard next time around.

Thanks again :)

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Dennis The Menace wrote:

I only ask as, since they stocked them in the autumn, I've had a number of people contact me to say they were unable to buy the book onboard. However, the book wholesaler who placed the order with me say all 3 shops/ships currently have my book on display.

Strange.

I've offered to take the unsold books back from them, or to donate them to the library/free book swap, but for the moment they remain on sale so it would be great if someone could confirm a sighting :D

Thank you
I specifically looked while on my Trans Atlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2 last November. I can assure you they were not there. I even asked the bookshop assistant. Indeed, I'm sure you'd have seen me mentioning it when you raised the subject on cruise critic: before the thread was pulled.

I'm cruising with Cunard again in a short while: I'll give it another look; might even ask again.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Solent Richard wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:

Strange.

Thank you
I specifically looked while on my Trans Atlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2 last November. I can assure you they were not there. I even asked the bookshop assistant. Indeed, I'm sure you'd have seen me mentioning it when you raised the subject on cruise critic: before the thread was pulled.

I'm cruising with Cunard again in a short while: I'll give it another look; might even ask again.

Ahhh there you go Den mystery solved, it was November when the member on here couldn't get a copy from Amazon and didn't you say there were only a certain amount going on each ship .. obviously sold out and awaiting new stock :thumbup:
Jo

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Solent Richard wrote:
Dennis The Menace wrote:

Strange.

Thank you

Ahhh there you go Den mystery solved, it was November when the member on here couldn't get a copy from Amazon and didn't you say there were only a certain amount going on each ship .. obviously sold out and awaiting new stock :thumbup:
Dancing Queen raises an interesting point that only Dennis the Menace can really answer.

I recall he mentioned in one of his forum threads on this issue - since removed for a blatant breach of that forum’s non-advertising rules - that the books were supplied to Cunard on a buy or return.

As Dancing Queen points out, their lack of display last November should indicate that they have been sold: under such circumstances Dennis should by now have been in receipt of payment; an event he appears reluctant to acknowledge.

On a separate issue, I’m a little flummoxed as to why Cunard would wish to take these books on board anyway. Dennis, by his own admission, has never sailed with Cunard and therefore, in my opinion, they would have little relevance to Cunard passengers.
Last edited by david63 on 02 Mar 2015, 09:12, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removal of irrelevant link

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Hey, good news Jo, someone has left a review on Amazon confirming a recent purchase on Queen Elizabeth so hopefully that means the book is in stock (again?) on QE's onboard shop at least:

" We are sailing, 26 Feb. 2015
By Amazon Customer "David" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews

Having been on a med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth in December, spotted this in the bookshop, captain signed it for me and I then bought the download too as didn't want to crease my good paperback lol."

Any sightings on the other two ships greatly appreciated.

I've had some brilliant feedback from QE regulars like Maagiemou, Gill and you DQ, so it seems popular, it just needs to be in the shop not the store room :)

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Good news indeed Dennis. Great read it is too..albeit on a crusie ship..(any cruise line) or landbased holiday...or in fact anywhere anytime.... :D

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

'On a separate issue, I’m a little flummoxed as to why Cunard would wish to take these books on board anyway. Dennis, by his own admission, has never sailed with Cunard and therefore, in my opinion, they would have little relevance to Cunard passengers'

It's called marketing.

Why would it not have any relevance to a Cunard passenger, are they so blinkered they only read anything Cunard.
I expect the authors and artists of most of the books, paintings and a host of other items being sold on-board have not sailed with Cunard but they are still sold on their ships.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Dennis The Menace wrote:
Hey, good news Jo, someone has left a review on Amazon confirming a recent purchase on Queen Elizabeth so hopefully that means the book is in stock (again?) on QE's onboard shop at least:

" We are sailing, 26 Feb. 2015
By Amazon Customer "David" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews

Having been on a med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth in December, spotted this in the bookshop, captain signed it for me and I then bought the download too as didn't want to crease my good paperback lol."

Any sightings on the other two ships greatly appreciated.

I've had some brilliant feedback from QE regulars like Maagiemou, Gill and you DQ, so it seems popular, it just needs to be in the shop not the store room :)
Brilliant Den, actually I did have another thought about QV, I saw a very expensive handbag on there which Mr DQ was going to buy me but it was marked, I asked the assistant if they had another and she said no, a few days later would you believe a new one appeared ( and yes I did snap it up :lol: ) a similar thing happened in the perfume shop I was told something wasn't available only for it to appear later.

I did think they might be keeping stock low as the QV was going in for a refit early January and I assume all the stock would have to be packed away, not good though :roll:

Anyway the good news is 'Sicknote Goes Cruising' is out there :thumbup:
Jo

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Stephen wrote:
'On a separate issue, I’m a little flummoxed as to why Cunard would wish to take these books on board anyway. Dennis, by his own admission, has never sailed with Cunard and therefore, in my opinion, they would have little relevance to Cunard passengers'

It's called marketing.

Why would it not have any relevance to a Cunard passenger, are they so blinkered they only read anything Cunard.
I expect the authors and artists of most of the books, paintings and a host of other items being sold on-board have not sailed with Cunard but they are still sold on their ships.
We are all of course entitled to our opinions and mine was expressed without fear or favour.

It was given from a position of proven Cunard experience and considerable time spent in the libraries onboard Cunard's ships.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Stephen wrote:

It's called marketing.

Rest assured Stephen the majority of Cunard passengers are not blinkered :thumbup:

There are many cruise related books on board and they are not all about Cunard.

I'm now a little flummoxed as I thought DTM started this thread asking if anyone could confirm his book was 'for sale' in the book shop, I don't believe he even mentioned the library unless I missed it :roll:
Jo

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Stephen wrote:

It's called marketing.

Rest assured Stephen the majority of Cunard passengers are not blinkered :thumbup:

There are many cruise related books on board and they are not all about Cunard.

I'm now a little flummoxed as I thought DTM started this thread asking if anyone could confirm his book was 'for sale' in the book shop, I don't believe he even mentioned the library unless I missed it :roll:
I'm even more flummoxed now. Maybe I've been cruising with Cunard too long.

I could have sworn that on Queen Mary 2 the bookshop is part of the library.

Oh well, knowledge isn't everything it would appear. :clap: :clap:

Perhaps Dennis can put us all straight and confirm he has had payment for the books that a member claims to have been sold last November. Unless of course... :yawn:

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Stephen wrote:

It's called marketing.

"It's called marketing"

I'd certainly agree with that. Dennis is certainly covering all forums :yawn:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

No problem with that. Sometimes you have to look in several places before you find what you are looking for. Pleased to hear that his question has been answered and look forward to more of DTM's posts on this forum. :wave:

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

To reiterate DTM asked if anyone could confirm his book was 'for sale' the location of the book shop is irrelevant :roll:
Jo

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Dancing Queen wrote:
To reiterate DTM asked if anyone could confirm his book was 'for sale' the location of the book shop is irrelevant :roll:
But it was you Dancing Queen that questioned me being "in the library". You can't have it always. Ship knowledge is everything.

Still flummoxed?

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

In the temporary absence of Dennis, and an obvious reluctance to make a statement on 'sales' aboard Cunard, perhaps we might all gather round and offer him some support in his rather obvious marketing operation.

We could start with a declaration of who on here has read this book. I'll start the ball rolling by stating I haven't.

But I do have a little expertise, both from my time in the Hotel and catering business and, more recently, promoting another forum member's publication, Ships, Shoes and MaggieMou...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/201 ... maggiemou/

I also added it to the Facebook group, 'WE Are Cunard Fanzine' and it was heavily subscribed there.

Over to you.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

I have read Dennis' book.

It is not just about cruising P&O. It is (amongst other things) about how cruising helped him - so equally relevant to Cunard
Meg
x

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

I have read Dennis's book and I thoroughly enjoyed it - you seem anxious to get a response from DTM but I think had you read his book you would appreciate why this may not be immediately forthcoming - I will not comment further except to say he is an exceptionally genuine person.
Janis

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Meg 50 wrote:
I have read Dennis' book.

It is not just about cruising P&O. It is (amongst other things) about how cruising helped him - so equally relevant to Cunard
Excellent. Thank you for the prompt and timely response, particularly as this is yours and jan's first (?) response on this particular thread.

I forgot to mention earlier that my search of Amazon failed to find the book. Bit like my attempts on QM2 and Queen Elizabeth really.

Having said that I understand from a friend that only 20 copies were forwarded to Carnival UK for distribution to P&O.

Solent Richard
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Solent Richard »

Jan Rosser wrote:
I have read Dennis's book and I thoroughly enjoyed it - you seem anxious to get a response from DTM but I think had you read his book you would appreciate why this may not be immediately forthcoming - I will not comment further except to say he is an exceptionally genuine person.
I guess I am. After all, we are all exceptionally genuine people. Some of us more than others. ;) ;)

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

The book is still available from Amazon. Its listed under both the author and the title.

Lindsey

Return to “Cunard”