Syndicate Quiz ?

Arrange to meet other members whilst on a cruise on Oceana

Topic author
longjohn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Syndicate Quiz ?

Post by longjohn »

Do they still have the syndicate quiz at night on Oceana?

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Syndicate Quiz ?

Post by qbman1 »

Haven't been on Oceana for a while but the Syndicate Quiz still operates on all the other ships, usually at 10:30 p.m. so I think you are pretty safe to assume it does longjohn

Topic author
longjohn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by longjohn »

Thanks for that qbman1, I have had a reply from P&O and they say that because of lack of support on a previous cruise, ie 1 team or less turned up,they decided to allocate the entertainments staff to another venue which proved more popular.
The word is that they are now going to monitor and consider continuing the syndicate quiz during winter cruises and stop it for summer cruises and short haul cruises on Oceana, as I understand.
Tough I guess if you like the cerebral challenge for an hour or so after dinner. We really look forward to it and as we are sailing on it this weekend to the Canaries (E506) I can report back in due course.
Cheers John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

That's surprising as I have never been on a cruise where the Syndicate has been anything other than well supported every night. Hope a few fellow enthusiasts pitch up on E506. Look forward to hearing the outcome.

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Hi John, we are on the Canaries cruise too and we often join in with the Syndicate Quiz - occasionally win. Last time we were on Oceana there were quite a few teams - well more than 10 I would say - most evenings. If there's a show on we really want to see we'll do that but on other evenings we like to go to the quiz - especially if we can persuade our table companions to join in.

You said the cruise was this weekend - I assume by that you mean Monday - or I've got my dates wrong!

Carole

Topic author
longjohn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by longjohn »

Hi Carole, yes you are right it is Monday 9th, we are staying at the Grand Harbour hotel for the one night on Sunday pre cruise, so its weekend for us. I usually find the syndicate quiz very well attended in fact on Azura there is very little room to get all the people in for a quiz, and a stupid place to hold it. One time on Adonia they cancelled the quiz because they were short of entertainment staff on a couple of nights.
Probably see you at the quiz then, make yourself known to us and if you need any team members we'll join you.
Cheers John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

John - yes they do struggle on Adonia with only 3 Ents staff so the Individual Quiz can be missed out as well some nights for the same reason

Topic author
longjohn
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by longjohn »

I don't think I will sail on Adonia again qbman, not only was the quiz cancelled but some quoits games as well. Also there is no lift up to the sports deck for people who have difficulty with steps. I suppose once they have your money they can arrange the entertainment to suit them and sod you. A lot of things have changed over the years traveling with P&O some you just have to accept I guess.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We wouldn't go far on Adonia but she is really good for the Round Britain cruises. A bit like a cotton bud - she can get into all kinds of important little places !!

Not so ancient mariner
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Not so ancient mariner »

I had a great cruise to the North Cape on Adonia in 2011. I don't remember there being a syndicate quiz, but there was a quiz of sorts in the crows nest most evenings.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Not so ancient mariner wrote:
I had a great cruise to the North Cape on Adonia in 2011. I don't remember there being a syndicate quiz, but there was a quiz of sorts in the crows nest most evenings.
We were on the Adonia last November and there was a syndicate quiz most evenings which was held upstairs in the buffet area. It was well attended by the devotees of which there were usually 4 to 8 tables. I even managed to win a few playing with myself, as it were. :o

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

I have never known the Syndicate Quiz being less than over subscribed, as far as enough seating is concerned, for those wishing to participate.

Last time was on Arcadia, November 2014, 24 nights, and it was full every night with around 20 tables participating.

Return to “The Meeting Place - Oceana”