Celebrity 2 day Taster Cruise 7-9th May 2015

Anything about Celebrity cruises

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Celebrity 2 day Taster Cruise 7-9th May 2015

Post by Lynda and David »

Hello everyone, we recently booked ourselves on the Celebrity 2 day Taster Cruise to France sailing 7th May. As this is the first time we have tried a different cruise line to P&O we just wondered if anyone has any tips to help us make the most of the 2 days. Does anyone have any favourite restaurants/bars, also where do we go for breakfast? Any help gratefully received.

Many thanks

Lynda

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Celebrity 2 day Taster Cruise 7-9th May 2015

Post by wolfie »

Qsine and Murano are must do's as is the Ice Bar and Martini Bar. Our outside bar of preference was the Mast Bar as it was very close to our cabin, just a deck up.

Aqua class cabins take breakfast and dinner in BLU, the rest of us, including those of us in Concierge cabins, as we were, make do with the MDR or the buffet. Both are good with a great choice of food.

If you have only one full day on board I would suggest that you stay on board and enjoy all that Eclipse, I presume it IS Eclipse, has to offer, rather than go ashore.

Last year, on a not too port intensive cruise of 14 nights, we wished that we had had more time on board to enjoy all of the facilities, not least the adults only Solarium, a lovely relaxing place to spend some time, and of course, the Aquaspa with it's heated beds with magnificent views, sauna and steam room, and the spa pool with great relaxing jets. Book this as soon as you are on board as they do limit places. Café el Baccio with it's delicious cakes is another venue we often frequented and it is very close the scrumptious Gelateria, extra cost but worth it. You can get your ice cream fix every day in the buffet with toppjngs for all tastes just before lunch, for free.

I just wish that Celebrity did some innovative ports of call ex UK, rather than the Med. the fjords and The Baltic. We would then be back on Eclipse without fail. Surely Celebrity must see the sense in this as there are now so may extra cabins available ex Southampton but with all much the same ports of call!!

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Thank you wolfie for your reply. Yes it is Eclipse that we are booked on sailing to Le Havre, we have a Concierge cabin on deck 9.

I managed to get a table in the Tuscan Grille for our first night but all the other venues are booked up so we will have to eat in the MDR on the second night. We will definitely visit the Ice Bar and Martini Bar.

This trip is to try the ship with a view to booking a couple of longer trips next year. David is concerned that the ship will be too big, he prefers ships the size of Aurora and Arcadia, I'm hoping that this 2 day trip will change his mind. I think we'll do as you suggest and stay on board on day 2 to make the most of the facilities.

Just one other thing, as the ship is one of the larger ones, are there any problems getting on and off in port? I know that we get priority embarkation in Southampton but assume that won't happen for the rest of the cruise.

Many thanks

Lynda

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

We too prefer the size of Aurora and Arcadia and also Oriana.

We did the Baltic so it was all gangway disembarkation at ports and we found it no different to P&O's mid sized ships, even though we also have priority embarkation in that respect; it doesn't happen at ports unless you have a suite, I think. A delay on boarding in Southampton as the ship was being inspected but other than that no problems.

It may be tempting to visit Paris from Le Havre but you can easily do that from the UK for a longer stay and not the long trek from a ship's' tour.

Anyway, enjoy Eclipse, she is a great ship and we would sail on her again IF only Celebrity was more imaginative in their itineraries from Southampton. Good idea taking a taster cruise.

When you board see if there any cancellations for Qsine or Murano, worth a try, and very well worth a visit.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

There is nothing at all of note at Le Havre ... consider booking a trip to Honfleur, Rouen or Monet's Garden at Giverny but deffo NOT Paris cos you'll potentially spend more time in the coach than the City.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Manoverboard wrote:
There is nothing at all of note at Le Havre ... consider booking a trip to Honfleur, Rouen or Monet's Garden at Giverny but deffo NOT Paris cos you'll potentially spend more time in the coach than the City.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
Manoverboard wrote:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
You do the place an injustice. There are art museums, restaurants, a nice beach. if the place looks a bit austere it's because the Allies bombed it flat after D-Day.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction ... rmand.html
( http://www.muma-lehavre.fr/en )
http://www.museum-lehavre.fr/

If you fancy hopping along to Rouen the train station is quite convenient.

Quizzical Bob
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Quizzical Bob »

So much to do I have to make two posts:

http://www.muma-lehavre.fr/en
Maritime et Portuaire: http://www.lehavre.fr/node/247

And much much more: http://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/article ... 277-2.html

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

But still not as nice as Honfleur!

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Not for me QB ...

Honfleur is beautiful, Rouen is beautiful and Monet's garden is beautiful, Le Havre is a concrete monstrosity and is not beautiful but I readily accept that it does have some decent museums .... for those who wish to spend their time indoors.

;)
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

But back to the original question and what a shame Qsine is booked up. We were disappointed with Celebrity but we did like Qsine (once they found our reservation!)

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

wolfie wrote:
We too prefer the size of Aurora and Arcadia and also Oriana.

We did the Baltic so it was all gangway disembarkation at ports and we found it no different to P&O's mid sized ships, even though we also have priority embarkation in that respect; it doesn't happen at ports unless you have a suite, I think. A delay on boarding in Southampton as the ship was being inspected but other than that no problems.

It may be tempting to visit Paris from Le Havre but you can easily do that from the UK for a longer stay and not the long trek from a ship's' tour.

Anyway, enjoy Eclipse, she is a great ship and we would sail on her again IF only Celebrity was more imaginative in their itineraries from Southampton. Good idea taking a taster cruise.

When you board see if there any cancellations for Qsine or Murano, worth a try, and very well worth a visit.
Thanks wolfie for the tip about Qsine or Murano we'll ask about any cancellations or if there is a waiting list for these restaurants as soon as we get on the ship.

We're actually visiting Le Havre this Saturday as we're off on a 3 day cruise with P&O on Arcadia with my cousins. Our plan is to have a good wander round the town then so that when we visit on Eclipse we can spend our time having a good look at her whilst the ship is quiet. We do love Paris but as we live in London it only takes us just over 3 hours from our house to Paris by Eurostar and we try to visit at least once a year for a couple of nights so it would be a waste of our time going in by coach with a cruise tour.

Lynda

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Quizzical Bob wrote:
So much to do I have to make two posts:

http://www.muma-lehavre.fr/en
Maritime et Portuaire: http://www.lehavre.fr/node/247

And much much more: http://en.normandie-tourisme.fr/article ... 277-2.html
Hello Quizzical Bob, Thank you for the links you sent me I'm going to have a read of them tonight. Really handy as we are also going on a 3 night cruise this weekend with P&O on Arcadia and one of the stops is Le Havre our plan is to have a good wander round Le Havre. We've been on several short cruises with P&O but this is the first time the ship has docked at Le Havre so we're looking forward to the new port.

Lynda

ItsmeAnnC
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by ItsmeAnnC »

Have a wonderful time - Eclipse is now one of my favourite ships, after decades of being a P&O anorak. I would have to disagree about Qsine though. It's a novelty but nothing more. We felt it was a waste of money, especially as two members of our party were ill afterwards. Each to his own. The food is far better in Murano and Tuscan grill. But I wouldn't be upset at being in the MDR for a night - you have to experience the food there to appreciate the quality, especially of the meat. Far better than P&O.

Topic author
Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Thank you AnnC we're really looking forward to trying a different cruise line. We've also managed to book a ship visit on Queen Mary 2 in May to see if we like the look of the Cunard ships.

Lynda

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

ItsmeAnnC wrote:
Have a wonderful time - Eclipse is now one of my favourite ships, after decades of being a P&O anorak. I would have to disagree about Qsine though. It's a novelty but nothing more. We felt it was a waste of money, especially as two members of our party were ill afterwards. Each to his own. The food is far better in Murano and Tuscan grill. But I wouldn't be upset at being in the MDR for a night - you have to experience the food there to appreciate the quality, especially of the meat. Far better than P&O.
I agree, it IS a novelty and food is far better, if you are after a fine dining experience, (such as Rhodes once was on P&O), in Murano. But for a one off it is rather fun , the way that dishes are presented and the initial ordering, but I won't spoil that for those about to cruise on Eclipse. ;)

The cover charge for both Qsine, but especially Murano, is well worth it.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

It seems that X aren't sending out printed luggage labels which you can stick around the handle of your cases any more. I'll start a thread about this.

Have a great cruise.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We were on this 2 night taster and left with mixed feelings.

We found the service mostly excellent, although it must be said we didn't try all the venues. Qsine we thought excellent, very, very good food - although FAR too much of it for us - and superb service. Cafe Bacio delightful. The cabin we had booked was very good indeed and well appointed. We liked the interactive TV and the little extras provided. Michael's Club was very good, although depressingly dark, inclusive drinks in there a great perk. In fact much of the ship was dark and poorly lit we felt. The one show we watched was dire and the theatre was glacial.

Dining in Luminae was VERY disappointing. The choice was very limited generally, with no choice whatsoever for me as a vegetarian, despite having informed them well in advance - and again on entering. Service, while friendly and professional, was pitifully slow. We felt the restaurant itself lacked atmosphere and a large, extremely boisterous family party completely ruined dinner, with children climbing over seating everywhere, shouting and screaming, spilling drinks everywhere and the parents loud and obnoxious. Nobody had a word with them to ask them to tone it down.

I did think embarkation was terribly chaotic, but disembarkation was very slick.

So would we try Celebrity again? Perhaps. She's a beautiful ship - if a bit glitzy and brash - but the jury is out as to whether she's really for us. Worth a bargain weekend though.
Gill

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

By the way, we had labels emailed AND sent by mail!
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

GillD46 wrote:
We were on this 2 night taster and left with mixed feelings.

We found the service mostly excellent, although it must be said we didn't try all the venues. Qsine we thought excellent, very, very good food - although FAR too much of it for us - and superb service. Cafe Bacio delightful. The cabin we had booked was very good indeed and well appointed. We liked the interactive TV and the little extras provided. Michael's Club was very good, although depressingly dark, inclusive drinks in there a great perk. In fact much of the ship was dark and poorly lit we felt. The one show we watched was dire and the theatre was glacial.

Dining in Luminae was VERY disappointing. The choice was very limited generally, with no choice whatsoever for me as a vegetarian, despite having informed them well in advance - and again on entering. Service, while friendly and professional, was pitifully slow. We felt the restaurant itself lacked atmosphere and a large, extremely boisterous family party completely ruined dinner, with children climbing over seating everywhere, shouting and screaming, spilling drinks everywhere and the parents loud and obnoxious. Nobody had a word with them to ask them to tone it down.

I did think embarkation was terribly chaotic, but disembarkation was very slick.

So would we try Celebrity again? Perhaps. She's a beautiful ship - if a bit glitzy and brash - but the jury is out as to whether she's really for us. Worth a bargain weekend though.

Cunard all the way then now Gill :thumbup:

We really enjoyed Eclipse but it was a longer cruise, having done a short cruise on QV last year had that been our one and only it would have been our last :o

Where I did think Celebrity excelled was definitely embarkation/disembarkation both for us were superb.
Jo

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Yes, I must admit that when we boarded QV and went to the QG for lunch, it was such a relief, a feeling of going home. And of course they look after us so very, very well in the restaurant. Although it must be said, I only twice asked for something off menu as the main menu - and the a la carte of course - were so fantastic.

What was noticeable was the improvement in evening entertainment, which was really excellent. We have three booked next year, one on QM2 and two on QV and I am very happy to continue that way.
Gill

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Gill

I'm glad in a way that you are in a position of 'the jury is still out' and not dismissing X from your list. We haven't come across the sort of behaviour in Luminae that you mentioned from other passengers - maybe that was because it was a 2 nighter 'bargain weekend'. We have frequently had vegetarian preference people on tables next to ours, and they've always been attended to promptly. I think the entire Luminae situation for you may have been due to the brevity of the cruise.

eanwhile, yes, Qsine can be a minefield of choices, and we quite often order a bit too much. However, we are 'still learning' and are determined to do better in Qsine on our next cruise.

It's a case of horses for courses I suppose, but we quite like the dimmed lighting effect in some parts of the ship. We also like the ability to take whichever table is available when we walk into Luminae, instead of the almost rigid (as we always found it) sticking to the same table in the QG restaurant.

We've done one visit to the theatre on Eclipse, but it wasn't our 'cup of tea' - but I think that we just like being quiet in our suite and completely chilling out.

For you, going C is like 'going home' - for us ..... well, we wouldn't even get as far as actually completing the booking online! It is purely a personal preference - and I can't stress that enough. I can live with that - but I do hope you might just give X a chance on a longer outing. Who was your waiter in Luminae - we've always got on well with the waiters, especially 'Capt' Kirk - he never lets an opportunity to excel go by.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I can't remember their names, three times we had a French girl from Lyon, and the others I really can't remember, though I do remember one man wore a business suit. They were very nice and professional, but service from the galley was REALLY REALLY slow. We waited almost an hour between Amuse Bouche and starter. Even after asking very politely if it would be much longer, we had profuse apologies but it still took almost an hour. Not acceptable. But the main gripe was the intransigence regarding a vegetarian diet. Yes perhaps it would be better on a longer cruise - I suspect it would - but would it offer enough choice?
I'm really not sure I am prepared to spend many thousands of pounds to find it doesn't.

We'll bear them in mind in future, but we certainly won't be rushing to book.
Gill

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Gill, On CC they report that Luminae diners can also order anything from the MDR menu as well as their own menu, so that should give you improved choice. However I am surprised they did not meet your dietary needs, in the MDR on Eclipse those having special diets seem very well catered for with the Rest. manager or one of the head waiters providing very special service.
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

I did ask about the main restaurant menu and was told sorry no! There was ONE vegetarian dish, so I managed, but there was no choice. Cunard offer three dishes on most nights, ALWAYS two. But even Tony was disappointed with such a limited menu - and he eats most things.

It may well have been reduced because it was a two nighter, but do we want to take that chance?
Gill

Return to “Celebrity”