Nepal earthquake

Post your non cruising holiday ideas/plans/questions/reviews here

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Nepal earthquake

Post by Wina G »

Having returned from our India & Nepal tour only 6 weeks ago we were saddened to see the news about the huge earthquake in Nepal between 2 cities we visited, Kathmandu & Pokhara.

Riviera Travel have a group of people there at the moment, according to the itinerary they would have been travelling from Kathmandu to Chitwan National park at the time of the earthquake yesterday ... we hope everyone is safe.

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nepal earthquake

Post by david63 »

There seems to be a pattern developing here Wina - I seem to recall that there was an earthquake in New Zealand just after you visited South Island. Can you let us know where you are going next - so that we can all avoid it after you get back.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Hello Wina,

Very sad news indeed....I've just been reeding that 17 climbers also perished whilst climbing Mount Everest due to avalanches caused by the earthquake.

Regards

Keith :wave:

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Were you in Cyprus on the 15th. Wina ? we had an earth tremor that shook the island from Nicosia down to Paphos the first for 15 years.
We were sat on a cafe terrace in Steni when goats and dogs started kicking off just before the tremor and our seats were moving across the floor.
When we got back late in the evening we couldn't unlock the door as the jamb had moved jamming the lock. I had to call a locksmith out at 23:45 to get us in which cost me 45 euros so I was not a happy chappie.

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

david63 wrote:
There seems to be a pattern developing here Wina - I seem to recall that there was an earthquake in New Zealand just after you visited South Island. Can you let us know where you are going next - so that we can all avoid it after you get back.
Funny you've said that David as we were wondering the same, we were in Sri Lanka the June before the Tsunami :shock:

China in May next year so I'd avoid it if I were you :oops:

Andrea S
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Andrea S »

Wine, Any planned trips to Europe.?

Watching scenes on television is dreadful but when you have been to that area you will have a much broader picture of the devastation that has been caused.
I cannot imagine the horror people are facing and when night time comes it must be so frightening.
I have watched the video someone filmed on Mount Everest as the Avalanche struck and that showed the reality of something suddenly happening. Amazement , panic and the noise left me feeling quite numb.

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

This was the reply that Romig got from Riviera Travel when he asked about the group that are there :thumbup:

Thanks for your concern: this is the latest information from our website: An earthquake has occurred at 11.45 hours local time in Nepal, and has caused extensive damage in Kathmandu. At the time of the shock, our group currently travelling in Nepal had left the capital and had stopped in Mugling en route to Pokhara. We have been in constant contact with our Tour Manager and ground handling agent and can confirm that everyone in the group is safe and well, and they are continuing the tour today.

Andrea, don't worry it only seems to only be the long haul holidays where we are jinxed ;) although we have got a week booked in Greece :crazy:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

We really can appreciate the suffering that must be being endured in Nepal at the moment. It's such a poor country anyway, with much poverty to be seen. This devastation will set them back for years; mainstream tourism (apart from the trekking tourism) had been increasingly important, and the earthquake will hit that hard.

I hope that the much-needed aid gets there as soon as possible, but am surprised to see that the D.E.C. is still assessing the situation before deciding whether they need to mount a joined-up appeal - or leave it up to the constituent members.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Disasters Emergency Committee has just announced a major appeal.

https://mydonatetelethonsappeals.bt.com ... k=43923237

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Pleased to see the Freemasons have been quick off the mark in making a donation.

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Terrible situation for those in Kathmandu and the outlying towns. It seems help is at last arriving but some areas are so remote it will be some time before it gets through. And on Everest there are climbers trapped at Camps 1 and 2, their ladders and ropes swept away by the avalanche.

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

oldbluefox wrote:
Terrible situation for those in Kathmandu and the outlying towns. It seems help is at last arriving but some areas are so remote it will be some time before it gets through. And on Everest there are climbers trapped at Camps 1 and 2, their ladders and ropes swept away by the avalanche.
It's unbelievable we were there only a few weeks ago when you see the devastation of some of the places we visited.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

The current problems are accessing the outlying villages, in the area around the epicentre. We travelled on the "main" road between the two cities of Kathmandu and Pokhara and it took us well over an hour just to get to the outskirts of Kathmandu. Once off the "main" road, the surface was even worse, with areas badly rutted and potholed which necessitated a 5mph traverse at most. There were many areas of road which you could tell had been affected by landslides already, so I dread to think how many areas are temporarily impassable now.

Hopefully the death toll in the villages affected won't turn out to be high - the buildings in such areas are low-rise, unlike the 3,4 & 5 storey brick buildings in the capital.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

A number of the security guys on Adonia are from Nepal and Captain Box, this past week, arranged a collection for the victims of the quake. Well over a £1,000 and counting :clap: .
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Apparently there has been another earthquake reported in the last hour, 7.3 on the scale, my heart goes out again to the poor people of Nepal.
Jo

Topic author
Wina G
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Wina G »

Dancing Queen wrote:
Apparently there has been another earthquake reported in the last hour, 7.3 on the scale, my heart goes out again to the poor people of Nepal.
Me too DQ :(

Return to “Non Cruise Holidays”