Cyprus - April 2015 (part 1)

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cyprus - April 2015 (part 1)

Post by david63 »

Because we were getting "fed up" with a few things we decided that we would go away for a few days so we started looking where to go. Eventually it was decided that weather-wise Cyprus was supposed to be one of the better places to go at that time of the year and as it is somewhere that we have not been to (apart from a one day stop on a cruise a few years back) for some 30+ years that it was time for a re-visit.

It is quite some time since we have been on a package holiday (and it will probably be quite some time before we do it again - more of that later) but as it was just a quick holiday it seemed the best option. Trying to make sense of the online tour operator's sites requires a degree in something or other. Anyway the easiest site to find what we were looking appeared to be Thomson's.

Despite some reservations based on previous experience we decided that what we wanted was All Inclusive with the caveat that we could have a la carte most, if not all nights - we do not do buffet dinner. We are also fairly choosy about flight times, no "silly o'clock" flights. Eventually we settled on the Pioneer Beach Hotel in Paphos and booked it there and then (not quite - I did do a bit or research on the hotel first) - travelling just over two weeks later.

Now I have to say that the paperwork side of Thomson's was excellent - immediate acknowledgement and e-tickets two days later (it was, after all, Bank Holiday weekend). We then booked a few "extras" such as Meet & Greet car parking at Manchester, fast track through security and premier lounge at Paphos.

The day arrived and off we set for Manchester Airport - not the best of moves at 08:00 on a weekday morning - a journey that normally takes 40 minutes took an hour and a half. We had no problem with finding the Meet & Greet car park although there is a bit of a misnomer in the description as they neither meet nor greet you. As we arrived at the barrier I encountered what could be considered the "greet" bit by being asked to confirm my name and car, after with I was told to go and park in lane one and proceed to the office. Car parked, luggage unloaded and off to the office to hand over the keys and be given a ready printed receipt. The off to the Departures.

The check-in process with Thomson Airways was seamless and efficient so it was then off through security (using our Fast Track tickets) and then a bit of retail therapy before a glass of wine which just gave us enough time to reach the gate for the flight.

The flight was reasonable. I don't know if anyone has seen the Thomson safety video but it is one that makes you watch and is unique. One thing that surprised us, not frequenting charter flights very much, was the amount of food that some (most) passengers had - there was enough to feed the 5,000 ten times over. Later we found out why - Thomson in-flight food is, being kind, terrible (and expensive). Anyway the flight came and went and we eventually arrived in Paphos about 15 minutes early. Just out luck as out cases were about the last to come off the carousel. Whilst waiting for the cases I was somewhat bemused to watch the other passengers leaving the airport. There were three channels Nothing to declare, Goods to to declare and EU passengers. Now as we had all come from the UK I was expecting to go through the EU channel, but no everyone went through the Nothing to declare. At this point I was getting the feeling of what was to come.

Due to the time we were due to land (18:30) we had decided that rather than the coach transfer we would have a taxi so that we would get to the hotel at a reasonable time. Leaving the terminal building we found the Thomson reps, gave our name and hotel and were then told to go to coach 7 - erm sorry we have a taxi, oh yes. Anyway the taxi man was summoned on off we went. We had already got the feeling that holiday reps had not improved over the years!

To be continued ...

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cyprus - April 2015 (part 1)

Post by GillD46 »

Oh this looks good. Looking forward to more :D
Gill

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Cyprus - April 2015 (part 1)

Post by Raybosailor »

Sounds like you did not have a good experience in Cyprus David which is a pity because we were there at Easter too and we had a wonderful holiday.
We haven't used travel agents or package tour holiday companies for over 25 years and only went on one all inclusive holiday and it wasn't for us.

We always book our own flights, book villas or room only hotels because we enjoy the freedom of eating when and where we want. All inclusive is no good to us because we are not big drinkers anyway and the choice of local drinks are not very good in many cases anyway.

We were in Paphos for our sons wedding and there were several parties all booked separate flights and accommodation then we met up on a number of evenings at 5 different restaurants our son had organised for us and each was a memorable occasion.

Looking forward to part 2 of your report and hope it got better.
Ray

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”