Cyprus - April 2015 (part 2)

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cyprus - April 2015 (part 2)

Post by david63 »

Right, now where we?

Upon arriving at Constantinou Bros Pioneer Beach Hotel (from now on it will be referred to as the hotel because I am not typing that out every time!) we were give a drink of fruit juice as we approached the reception desk. Giving our names immediately made them spring into action as we were told that as we had a Superior room (not the best in the hotel I will add) we should go and sit down in the area across from the reception area whereupon we were given a glass of champagne each whilst the formalities were completed. I mentioned before that with the package we had that we could eat a la carte every night and the young lady made a booking for that very evening in one of the restaurants.

Next we were taken up to our room where everything in the room was explained and the procedures at the hotel. The room we had was a Superior "land view" which had a large balcony overlooking the car park and across to the hills - not the most spectacular of views but by no means the worst view I have ever had. The room did not seen overly big to start with but once we got used to it then it was fine - after all we would not be in that often. One thing about the rooms in this, and the rooms in the other hotels in the group, is that they are all basically the same layout and furnishings (obviously if it aint broke then don't fix it).

Once we had unpacked and showered it was just about time to go for dinner. The interesting bit being trying to find the restaurant which was down a rabbit warren of corridors - why do these places always appear difficult to find on the first day? we were dining in the Regina restaurant which is essentially an Italian restaurant. What we had not been prepared for was what was on the menu - we could, had we so wanted, eaten fillet steak or lobster every night at no extra charge. Being the "new kids on the block", and also tired from the journey, we took it easy the first night.

As for the all inclusive drinks we were at first a little disappointed as there were only about six red and six white wines that were included - all the others were 50% of the "normal" price. We later discovered that the drinks from the bar, which included imported spirits, were all included - just a few premium drinks that incurred an additional cost.

So it was then off to bed in preparation for the start of the holiday proper. Now I am not a great lover of early morning alarm calls, especially when on holiday, so being woken at 06:00 by an almighty thunderstorm was not on the agenda. I have to admit though that it was quite spectacular.

As we were awake then it seemed logical that we should get up. After the usual morning rituals it was time to get the priorities sorted out - yes we have Internet connection (free of charge - please note UK hotels). Unfortunately probably due to the thunderstorm the temperature was quite cool and there was a strong wind - thoughts at this time were "have we come at the wrong time?"

Anyway it soon became time for breakfast and although it was buffet breakfast (no problem there) due to our package we were able to use the smaller restaurant. We were seated quickly and before we knew what was happening the restaurant manager appeared with two glasses of champagne. As this restaurant was also the other alternative a la carte restaurant we asked if we could book for dinner that night (booking could only be done a day or so in advance). Unfortunately that night was flambé night (which incurred an extra charge - another sign of things to come we thought). When asked if it was a special occasion it was casually mentioned that it was Mrs 63's birthday (this was true).

Breakfast over we then had a quick look around the hotel grounds before the obligatory "welcome" meeting with the Thomson rep. Being Cyprus all notices, menus etc. were in Greek, English and German - this becomes significant later.

Right then off the meeting - if anyone has endured one of these in the past then I can assure that nothing has changed - I almost kept awake through it. There were a couple of useful bits of information, but nothing that we could not work out for ourselves and we were certainly not interested in any of the excursions that were on offer. Another alarm bell was rung when we were introduced to the Thomson "events" organiser - the thoughts of Butlins came to mind. We were somewhat surprised that on the way out there were a number of handouts still on the table - we later discovered that many of the guests were frequent visitors (some going twice a year, others who had been over 15 times)

All that over and it not being particularly warm we set off for a walk into Paphos town which took about 45 minutes leisurely stroll each way. As it was not conducive to hanging around then it was straight back, just in time for lunch (well after all we have paid for it - sounds a bit like being on a cruise!)

To be continued ...

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Cyprus - April 2015 (part 2)

Post by Dancing Queen »

I'm reading this with interest David, it is a few years since I visited Cyprus but during my 'short period' of thinking I was all cruised out I was considering maybe spending 4 - 6 weeks there during December/January, one downside I could see was would there be enough to keep me interested to stay in one place for that length of time and of course the weather, although I appreciate they have all year round sunshine I believe December last year was very rainy.
Jo

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

That thunderstorm was something else David, being an early riser I was sat in our undercover seating area when the worst of it was going on.
Were you still there the following week when the earth tremor shook the island ?, the first for 15 years and it made our chairs move across the patio, we were sat on them too it was a strange feeling.
I can't remember the location of the Pioneer Beach Hotel is it near the Anthea Beach Hotel ? also owned by the brothers (I think they own the island), we had a friend who was staying in Anthea Beach. He came up for a drink with us but wouldn't stop for lunch as he said the food was amazing in the hotel, mind you he is a Scot and he probably thought I've paid for it I'm gonna avvit.

Dancing Queen there is a good bus service that runs along the coast road and you can buy a daily ticket for 5 euros that will take you to most of the Paphos area and local villages including Coral Bay, Polis and Latchi and there are some interesting places so you should not get bored.
Yes they have had a poor couple of months this winter but it was unusual for Cyprus and even at Easter some evenings were cool while we were there but we had some really hot days and by the end of April it was really nice.
Ray

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

I didn't know you had wi-fi David. It's a good job we didn't get up to much!! Wise move!!!
Looking forward to your next instalment.

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

loving this.

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Raybosailor wrote:
Were you still there the following week when the earth tremor shook the island ?
No we were there later.
Raybosailor wrote:
I can't remember the location of the Pioneer Beach Hotel is it near the Anthea Beach Hotel
It is about half a mile further out from Paphos centre - next to the last hotel on that strip.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Thank you Ray I will bear that in mind, too late for this year as a cruise is now booked but might consider it for 2016/17
Jo

Return to “Non Cruise Holiday Reports”