Senior Second Officer

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 6

Post by melsea »

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 6

Day 18. Montevideo, Uruguay. First day. Hot & Sunny 8am - overnight in port
Tropical theme dress.
Burns Night

25th Jan.
Left the ship at just before 11am. Before leaving the ship I looked at the livery that is now on Aurora and part of the red line on the starboard side of the bow it had peeled away rather nastily looking. It was not a pretty sight and not one I would have thought P&O would want. I had no idea they had not painted it on but it was vinyl they used. We used to do all kinds of vinyl work for large major companies when I work for a printing company and I am not sure we ever did one for ships & boats but I wondered if the vinyl had had a seal on it to stop this from happening, either it didn't look good.
Anyway as I was walking towards the main street way I was given a map which incidentally was a walking map of the local part of the city. Just across the road from the exit of the port there was the start of cafes and a couple of shops open even though today was a Sunday. Just a couple of minutes away there was an indoor market, El Puerto Market which housed a few dining options and where the food was cooked on open large BBQ style ovens and grills. There was a few waiters already to welcome customers, there were a number of bars here too.
I continued on my way and looked at the map I had been given and tried to find the itinerary it was showing. I eventually came to the main square called Independence Square, via the street that had the Theatre Solis which was a large theatre that house major productions. In the main square there is a monument called The Jose Artgas Monument, I think he was some kind of general and he is depicted here on a horse. I have been to Montevideo twice now and this time I discovered very new, whether it was here last time I have no idea but on either side of the monument there were stairs go down below. I ventured down not knowing where it would lead to. Well it was a bit of a surprise because underneath the Square there was a tomb like place, a large space at that, it had two guards dressed in military dark blue uniforms which were not unlike the guards outside Buckingham Palace. These men were guarding what looked like a large urn in a glass case, lit up but one large light. Around the walls were large lettered inscriptions that referred to other places in South America as well as in Uruguay. It very quiet and fairly dark. Having spent a little time there I went backoutside in the bright sunshine and made my way to walk up the other staircase when I notice a door as I walked up a few stairs had opened and out came three other soldiers in tthe same regalia as the two inside. I followed them and they performed a changing of the guards and then they left and vanished inside the door the others came out. The things you don't expect to on a Sunday afternoon in a quiet South American city!!
So after that 40 minute surprise I continued down a street that is on the opposite side of the Square but not before I saw a coach pull up that was a P&O tour. Some of them were looking a bit tired and no doubt feeling the heat as it was rather warm to say the least.
I walked down the street I have been down before to try and locate a cafe/restaurant that we first saw back in 2007. This particular cafe/restaurant stuck in our minds not for the restaurant itself but what they had outside. They had a raised platform that had table and chairs and to the side of it there was a small stage like area which was literally by the traffic lights and where people use it to cross the road. The platform had in 2007 a couple who were clearly entertainers, were dancing the tango in this very small space, it was breathtaking and even more so when a young girl who was with her family asked if she could dance with the male dancer, the young lady was no older than 9/10 years old. What followed next was truly amazing. The male dancer was very generous in his patience and danced to her speed but she was just brilliant and it just showed that the South Americans take their dancing seriously and learn it and a very young age. This time round the restaurant was not open yet and so no dancing this visit. There was also something else unique to this part of the pavement. There was a fountain that had a round iron fence around it. Nothing unusual in that but the fence was covered in padlocks. There is a brass plaque in both Spanish & English and it says 'LOCK FOUNTAIN' 'THE LEGEND OF THIS YOUNG FOUNTAIN TELLS US, THAT IF THE INITIALS OF TWO PEOPLE IN LOVE IS PLACED IN IT, THEY WILL RETURN TOGETHER TO THE FOUNTAIN & THEIR LOVE WILL BE FOREVER LOCKED'. This was the first time I had ever seen one back in 2007, since then I have seen them in St Petersburg on a bridge near the Church of the Spilled Blood, in Denmark can't remember quite where though. I decided not to go any further and so make my way back to the ship. This was a slow walk and as it was a Sunday there was virtually no traffic anywhere and the streets had no parked cars anywhere, it was a ghost town. On my way back there were cafes open and I came back to a little park that had a little antique market stalls and a few shops open as well. This park also had free wifi, I knew this as there were passengers from the ship using it. Some people manage to get on line others didn't. I sat in this park for a brief while where parents were playing with their young children, couples walking hand in hand for a stroll in the park. I looked at the map and saw there was another area where the coast was on the other side. I walked down a fairly safe looking street and finally came out to where there was a promenade. It was quite windy here and not really much else but buildings that looked like apartments of which were not looking their best. There were young children riding their bikes in the empty streets. I went back the way I came and turn up a street that had not a single car in it, I took some photos in the view of taking another one the next day showing a completely different scene, or at least I expect there to be. Anyway not being very far I came across something you don't see everyday, camera crews and actors filming a scene of something and it looked as though this one was a period drama of say the 1930's - 40's. I stood and watch a bit and then continued on my way.

Day 19. Montevideo, Second day. Another warm sunny day.

26th January. Australia Day.

Leisurely got up and did not go ashore until just before 2pm. I pretty much covered what I did yesterday and the feel of the place was completely different. What were empty streets yesterday devoid of parked cars, today there were cars everywhere. I did some window shop in various places and near to where the ship was by the Market I mention above. There were a few other shops that were a bit more up market than some of the shops around and one was an art shop selling local art pieces and other gift art. I bought a couple of things here and got back to ship in good time. I must mention that the peeling of the vinyl on the ship had been replaced and now looks complete & new.
One more thing out in the harbour there were many old boats and trawlers that were just nestled together as if it was a graveyard or scrapyard of rusty boats, there were lots of them. I think someone said they were requisitioned by the police from the people who had strayed illeagally into Uruguay's waters and some even were smuggling drugs. They were never claimed and so just sit there to rot as there is no money to deal with it. If anyone else knows any different I'm open to suggestions as I cannot verify what I was told.
In the evening we had booked a table for two up in the Beach House what used to be the Pennant Grill. It was absolutely delicious and we were outside too. I would wholly recommend it especially since you got a three course meal for just £5 each! a bargain me thinks. I think though on shorter cruises this may go up in price but not by much and it a whole lot cheaper than the Sindhu Restaurant which has been virtually empty since we set sail.
So onwards to our next port of call Puerto Arenas, Chile but not before we sail through the Magellan Straits from the Atlantic Ocean through to the Pacific Ocean. This will be a first for us as we have always gone down and around the Cape and enter the Magellan Straits via the Beagles Canal.

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 6

Post by Suekersh »

Thanks again Mel. I do admire you wandering around these cities and towns on your own.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Montevideo is my very favourite South American city and we felt extremely safe there. I hope to go back, as it is one of my very favourite ports ever.
Gill

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

I'm amazed at your confidence to wander alone and even more impressed you can follow a map, I usually get lost at the first turn !!
Jo

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Dancing Queen wrote:
I'm amazed at your confidence to wander alone and even more impressed you can follow a map, I usually get lost at the first turn !!
My thoughts exactly, Jo but Melsea has my total admiration.

Maureen

emjay45
First Officer
First Officer

Post by emjay45 »

GillD46 wrote:
Montevideo is my very favourite South American city and we felt extremely safe there. I hope to go back, as it is one of my very favourite ports ever.
Ours too Gill. I felt perfectly safe here as opposed to those in Brazil.

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by melsea »

Thank you ladies, Sue, Gill, Jo, Maureen & Emjay.

Jo, the map they gave out was so easy to follow, there was a solid blue line along the route of the walk. Also the map had been simplified so as not to have too much information but best of all, the various landmarks were numbered and they corresponded to photos of them, so you knew if you had arrived at the place you think are on the map. Pure brilliance to the Tourist Information in Montevideo.

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”