Reports about cruises on Aurora

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 11

Post by melsea »

Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 11

Day 35. 6 of 10 at sea sailing across the beautiful Pacific Ocean.
Very very hot.

11th February. Black Tie dress code.

Clocks went back last night. -6 GMT
My cold has got a little worse.
I didn't go for my usual walk but Bill did. Amazingly his foot was better this morning, the other day he suddenly had a really sore foot. We have no idea what it was or why it hurt or why the pain just vanished!
I leisurely got up, had shower and drank two lots of lemon water with honey which soothed my throat.
9.45am we headed for the Glass House to have our breakfast of which today the menu changed to the Arnold Bennet Omelette one. (the other menu has poached eggs & salmon on a toasted muffin) and various other things as well.
I had the compote followed by the bacon baguette, yum.
I received a letter from the Captain to tell me when we shall be at the point of where Bill & I got married at sea, it will be ironically on Valentine's Day at around 10am. Our anniversary is on the 15th. When you get married on board ship your marriage certificate has the co-ordinates of where you were at sea and its used to verify the legality of the marriage, as you have to be a certain distance from land. As we were in the middle of the Pacific you are more likely to be in the middle of nowhere.
I went to a talk given by Eric Knowles who features on the Antique Roadshow and today he was doing a talk on Charles Rennie Mackintosh, whom I like very much. He spoke of several places that are in Glasgow and it brought back memories of the time I was there during the Commonwealth Games last year. I spoke with him after his talk along with a few others who did the same.
I sat outside in the shade on deck 7 reading from my kindle.
Lunch in the restaurant. I didn't go to the art class as my cold was getting a little worse and so I went back to the cabin to sleep.
I decided I wanted to go to the restaurant in the evening as I didn't want to have been in cabin all this time. It was a lovely meal as per usual. We both had the same main course, the sea food brochette. It was lovely. I didn't go to the show but I did grab a snooze before I went out at 12.25am to go up to deck 13 for a star gazing talk. There were a lot of people there already. It was almost a clear night and we were told what was what and some people used their apps on phones/iPad too. Most Apps I find you need a wifi connection so the only way I can get an accurate reading is to input the Latitude & Longitude by getting them from the information on the television channel 1 I think it is. I try to jot them down as often as I can especially when we are in port.

Day 36. 7 of 10 at sea sailing the wide expanse of the Pacific Ocean.

12th February. Evening Casual/Tropical.

Clocks went back again last night to -7 GMT

Woke up extra early and my cold really is not doing very well & seems worse than my last one, oh bother as Winnie the Pooh would exclaim!!

At around 08.00 Bill went out for his walk. I sat up and watched a film, one we have seen many times. A romantic film at that. I was coughing, blowing my nose continuously. Bill made me a hot soothing lemon drink and later I made myself a hot lemsip just so that I could feel half decent of a human being, I was feeling not quite myself I might add.
Bill returned from his 1 hour & half of his walk, very well done to him. Meanwhile I am still coughing and spluttering.
We went for our usual breakfast at the Glass House. I managed to hold off the coughing and sat as far as we could so as not to disturb anyone. I didn't stay long but had a compote. Later I went and sat out on deck 7 for a while, I was practically on my own. Before 1 'o'clock I went back to cabin to meet up with Bill and we went to lunch. I decided to go to the art class where we did a painting of a bird. I thought we were going to do Easter Island but he did this yesterday and this morning, which I wasn't happy about but hey ho, with me not feeling 100% I could not complain. So as to get some fresh air and to get warm I went and sat on one of the loungers in the shade at the Crystal Pool downstairs. I managed to get myself some lemon and have hot lemon and honey, very nice it was too especially for my throat. I moved away from there and made my way to the back end of the ship where I found a spot to sit on deck 10. I continued to read my Harry Potter book on my kindle.
I ended up staying in the cabin again tonight due to the fact my cold has developed a nasty cough and has quite exhausted me. For about 45 minutes I managed to sleep without coughing which was amazing.
Bill got me food from the buffet, it was Caribbean theme tonight.
Clocks were to go back again tonight to -8 GMT.

Day 37. 8 of 10 at sea, quite literally in the middle of nowhere some might say.

13th February. Dress code, smart, jacket required.

Very very hot day

Clocks went back -8 GMT.

Sail past Pitcairn Island, infamously made by the Mutiny on the Bounty.
Woke up at 6am and then I started with my cough. I managed not to cough during the night having been able to sleep in such a way that I don't cough so much. Having started the round on coughing Bill got up and proceeded to do me a hot lemon with honey, very nice that was too. Took two paracetamol as well. Last night I was probably at my worse I have ever been with this dreadful cold, having had dreadful coughing bout last night I ended up really hurting my throat.
By this time Bill decided to go for his walk. Before he went he fetched for me from the buffet some fruit, melon & pineapple slices and a tea. I went back to sleep for a while. I certainly needed that. We went to breakfast and quarter to 10 & by this time I was beginning to feel a whole lot better. As I was making my way back to the cabin when I noticed land outside and we had arrived for our sail pass the Pitcairn Island. The lady who does the port talks warned everyone it was very hot outside on the open unshaded areas and to take precautions by putting on the sunscreen and to stand in the shade when you can. I had already made the necessary precautions by covering up as much as I could and I put some sun screen on my lower legs which were exposed. It was certainly hot but thankfully there was a slight breeze. As usual I took loads of photos. I think this is the first time we had sailed all round the island and not have the residents come on board which was a shame really. But we did get to see parts of the island we hadn't seen before. It was a very clear day too so you could see the island very clearly but then we were sailing fairly close but not too close of course. At one of drinks parties at the beginning of the cruise with the Captain & Officers. Captain Vago did the usual speech and when he was going through the itinerary of our cruise and he said we would be sailing pass Easter Island and the Pitcairn he said with a wry smile that he won't be going too close for obvious reasons, we all chuckled and thought because he got that 'joke' out of the way he removed any unnecessary talk because of him being Italian, very canny. I have to say at this point we are liking him a lot.
While out on the decks the lady commentating mentioned there was a BBQ being served up down on the Riveria Pool area. So this is where Bill & I had lunch. There wasn't anywhere outside to eat so we went inside to the Horizon where I found the perfect table for us. Also it was a lot cooler.
This afternoon I went to the art class which was all about revisiting techniques we have been shown. Today was snow capped mountains by the sea/lake, with clouds. Again using my new masking tape I creat a nice boarder around the painting I had just done.
With art class finished I took my things back to the cabin and then went out again to find a lounger to lie on in the shade which I managed to do.
In the evening saw Saxophonists Michael Grant, very good he was too.

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 11

Post by Onelife »

Hi Melsea...I know what Winnie the Poo would have said if you had asked him ...he would have told you to get some 'honey' and lemon inside you :thumbup:

Really been enjoying your daily log in fact I think the last few weeks has seen some of the best reviews ever written on this forum...well done to you all.

Regards

Keit :wave:

Topic author
melsea
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Melsea's Adventures of South America & Pacific Adventures Part 11

Post by melsea »

Thanks Keit
I do try to to make my reports entertaining as well as informative. Pleased you are enjoying them.
Mel

Return to “Aurora Cruise Reports”