Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Britannia where are P & O going?

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Ray B wrote:
Never yet seen a holiday camp afloat.
You've never been to Skegness on a wet Bank Holiday then! :sarcasm:

We like the sailaways too. And I understand they've not yet made them compulsory for those who prefer to do something else. :thumbup:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dark Knight wrote:
are you prepared to pay a higher cruise price for the privilege QBob? and why should people pay for things they would not use? I wouldn't want to go to a cookery show or dance lessons, but according to your logic, I should pay for it, even though I don't want it?
a somewhat flawed argument
To be honest, if EVERYTHING was included in the price, the cruise would not be affordable to me.

I tend to prefer the current set up on P&O, where the base price is lower, and I can add on the things that interest me.

I can see other problems is EVERYTHING was included in the price on a ship the ship of Britannia. People would think that 'I've paid for it, so I'm going to use it'. I can imagine huge queues for the Limelight Club, stretching round the atrium, and then people being turned away. Even if a ticketing system was in place, some people wouldn't like that, as they just like to turn up on spec. It'd probably cause even more moaning then there is already! :lol:

Much better to leave it as it is.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Can you imagine the queues for 24 places for a session in the Cookery Club if there was no charge?

I agree. Leave it as it is. If we want it we'll pay for it. If we don't we won't. As long as the basics of main venue eating and entertainment continue to be included we're happy.

Lollie
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lollie »

Totally with you there, whatever you choose to do or not do is your choice! We have used the Retreat on both Azura and Ventura and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience of calm and having more room around our sunbed etc, have to say though that the menus are extremely disappointing as they NEVER change and are very limited but you can choose to go and get something else, free of course, somewhere else. I hate the feeling that people are judging me because we decide to spend our money there so I rarely say anything to anyone about it whilst away. Same with the Select dining venues, we have no problem at all paying a supplement to dine and enjoy a totally different experience and one which on land would cost a considerable amount more. I haven't eaten there myself but I did buy vouchers for our son and daughter-in-law to dine at Benares, Atul's Mayfair restaurant, about £150 for a meal, what is it on the ship a premium of £20 max, tremendous value if you choose to do it. If you don't want to fine but it is not a 'rip off'. far from it.

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

We returned from Britannia today and I have to say I really liked the ship. Because we don't really care for P&O menus, we skipped the main dining room altogether and ate in the Glasshouse, Sindhu, Beach House and the Limelight Club, some more than once. We also took Eric Lanlard's Afternoon Tea, which was sublime. We used the Grab and Go sometimes at lunchtimes - very nice salads there - savoury and fruit. We ate in Epicurean for breakfast which was a haven of peace and tranquility though the menu again limited.

Would we cruise on Britannia again, yes! But again, only by choosing to dine at the Select venues - but that is because we don't like the somewhat old fashioned ( we feel) menus that seem popular to many P&O devotees. The fact there were just shy of 4,000 passengers on board was hardly apparent. The styling is very nice - some uncomfy chairs but there always are. On the whole, a great experience and while we still prefer Cunard, we may just go on Britannia again.
Gill

Return to “About Britannia”