Ship's Visit to the Eclipse

Anything about Celebrity cruises

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Re: Ship's Visit to the Eclipse

Post by Onelife »

JoanneB wrote:
From end of June (I think) Celebrity have changed their pricing and added the "free" extras into the pricing dependant on the cabin grades

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Trav ... e-pricing/

Hi JoanneB

Absolutely the right way to go in my opinion...

It would appear that with the pick and mix options you can't go far wrong as long as the headline price is competitive.

Regards

Keith

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

The only 'class system' (as it's been called) that we've seen on Eclipse is firstly those who have paid for suite class get boarded first. There is usually a display of Champagne or OJ as you board the ship, and then if accommodation is not yet completely ready (fire doors in place etc) then suite passengers are taken to Michaels Club. There is a desk just inside the glass doors to MC, and the Concierge is there to help - and there are nibbles etc ready and waiting.

A couple of days before departure the Concierge sends suite passengers an email offering assistance etc., and we thought it's nice.

Then this 'class system' feeling - but it's nicely done is firstly the different dining room (Luminae), and some preference with tenders and seating in the theatre on special nights. That's all folks - it's not really noticeable. Afternoon tea is served in the suites for Suite Class passengers, and it's all very nicely done.

It's not stuffy, we liked the atmosphere on board, we loved the food - it worked for us.

We've seen good deals involving obc, free tips, and a limo door to door.

Hope you do book something Alan - and I hope you really have a great time.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Our friends who recently tried Eclipse were Aqua class and they were offered champagne as they boarded, so I don't think it is just the top draw set that get it Boris, if that is what you meant. But then this is all hear say, I haven't been on her myself.

Boris+
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Boris+ »

Hi Stephen,

That was all I saw - but I think it's really great if stuff is there for everyone. We boarded, had the fizz, got taken to MC and then were just busy wanting to take our hand luggage up to our stateroom so we didn't really notice if the table was there or not.

I'd have enjoyed a look around at the various stateroom sizes though - I think that's a neat idea.

Dancing Queen
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Dancing Queen »

Stephen wrote:
Our friends who recently tried Eclipse were Aqua class and they were offered champagne as they boarded, so I don't think it is just the top draw set that get it Boris, if that is what you meant. But then this is all hear say, I haven't been on her myself.
I seem to think we got handed a glass of Champers as we boarded and we were in an ordinary balcony cabin, it was about 4 years ago so I could be wrong but somewhere in the back of my mind it's ringing a bell as I thought 'how nice' of course P&O and Cunard used to do the same a few years ago but that was in the days when you didn't board until 3.00pm so no lunch provided .. I guess if they are feeding you, you are more likely to buy drinks so no need to bother now :roll:
Jo

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Wandering around, we saw loads of glasses of champagne being handed out, and the main public areas were packed - I'm thinking in particular of the Cafe Al Bacio.

Still not able to upload the piccies :(
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

It was always rather difficult to get a table in Al Bacio, it was very popular; must be the cakes!!!

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Post by Lynda and David »

We cruised on the 2-day Taster Cruise on Celebrity Eclipse in May this year. We’ve only ever cruised with P&O so thought we might like to try a different cruise line. We came away from the cruise undecided if we liked Celebrity or not, we couldn’t quite put our finger on why we felt like that because the ship is absolutely beautiful, spotlessly clean and spacious.

As we boarded no matter what class of cabin people were in everyone was being offered champagne and orange juice.

Cabins were available from about 1.15pm and we were in a Concierge class balcony cabin which was lovely apart from the strange shaped bed (we’re both quite tall and found our feet kept slipping off the end) and we were wondering where we would put our suitcases if we were on a longer cruise as there if very little space under the bed or in the wardrobe to store them. The bathroom is so much nicer than P&O’s and the balcony is larger and more open than most P&O ships.

We didn’t eat in the MDR as we managed to get booked into Qsine and the Tuscan Grille (both lovely but the Tuscan Grille had the slight edge for us) but the queues to get into the MDR for the 8.30pm seating were enormous and we were grateful that we didn’t have to join them.

One of the most annoying problems we came across was getting served at any of the bars. Even if there was more than one member of bar staff on a bar you literally had to try and catch their eye to get served and believe me they are very good at not noticing you. Our thoughts on this are that because most people buy or have a drinks package included in their holiday it is in Celebrity’s interest to serve as few drinks as possible to people. It could of course be because the cruise was a 2-day cruise and is more commonly known on P&O and other cruise lines as a ‘booze cruise’ and Celebrity are trying not to encourage that type of passenger. The only time I noticed a ‘class system’ on our cruise was in the terminal in Southampton where there is a separate lane for suite and certain Captain Club passengers to walk through for priority embarkation.

After a couple of months back home we have decided to give Celebrity the benefit of the doubt and have booked an 8-night cruise to the Fjords next April to try them again. If we come home still feeling the same way we will not be using them again.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Hi Lynda

Regarding trying to get drinks at the bar, you should've shouted 'Oi JOHN, OVER HERE, OFFICE, NOW'. Not that I'm encouraging that sort of behaviour you understand ;)

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Stephen wrote:
Hi Lynda

Regarding trying to get drinks at the bar, you should've shouted 'Oi JOHN, OVER HERE, OFFICE, NOW'. Not that I'm encouraging that sort of behaviour you understand ;)
:lol: It nearly came to that Stephen but if they behave in the same way when we are on our cruise next year we will be having words

Regards

Lynda

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Lynda, forgive me for asking a daft question, but do you have to go to the bar to get a drink on Celebrity? We've only used to Cunard and P&O, where stewards prowl the decks looking for orders.
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Lynda, forgive me for asking a daft question, but do you have to go to the bar to get a drink on Celebrity? We've only used to Cunard and P&O, where stewards prowl the decks looking for orders.
Hello Alan

We found it easier to go to the bar ourselves because there are so few stewards walking about. We noticed that at night in the Sky Lounge, Celebrity's version of the Crow's Nest, there was only two stewards walking the floor, they took your order then came to the bar and poured the drink order themselves which meant that they had less time to take other people's orders. We're hoping that on a longer cruise there will be more staff working the bars otherwise its going to become really annoying. We're used to P&O where as soon as you finish a drink the glass is cleared away and you are asked if you would like another.

Regards

Lynda

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

Thanks, Lynda.

I have to say, though, I've not noticed P&O clearing empty glasses away that quickly!
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

Maybe they thought you didn't ought to have another. Just saying.....

Topic author
Silver_Shiney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Silver_Shiney »

I hope you are not inferring that I have a drink problem, sir, because I don't.

I drink

I get drunk

I fall over

No problem
Alan

Q-CC-KOS
Q-CC-TBM

Onelife
Captain
Captain

Post by Onelife »

Lynda and David wrote:
Silver_Shiney wrote:
Hello Alan

We found it easier to go to the bar ourselves because there are so few stewards walking about. We noticed that at night in the Sky Lounge, Celebrity's version of the Crow's Nest, there was only two stewards walking the floor, they took your order then came to the bar and poured the drink order themselves which meant that they had less time to take other people's orders. We're hoping that on a longer cruise there will be more staff working the bars otherwise its going to become really annoying. We're used to P&O where as soon as you finish a drink the glass is cleared away and you are asked if you would like another.

Regards

Lynda

Hi Lynda....I would find the ordering (waiting) at the bar and lack of stewards taking drinks orders very frustrating and as you say it probably does have something to do with the pre-ordered drinks packages.

I don't mind a few queues getting on and off a ship but I sure ain't going on a ship where I have to queue at a bar or have to wave my arm around to get the stewards attention..a royal wave should be all that is required... as is the case when cruising with P&O. I initially thought the new mix and match options were a good idea but I'm now having second thoughts.

Your post was both Interesting and informative..thank you.

Regards

keith

Lynda and David
Third Officer
Third Officer

Silver_Shiney wrote:
Thanks, Lynda.

I have to say, though, I've not noticed P&O clearing empty glasses away that quickly!
Hello Alan, we were on Arcadia for 3 nights in April and the stewards were being really efficient. As soon as we finished a drink they took the glasses away and asked if we wanted another, even in the buffet the waiters were the same taking the crockery away as soon as we'd finished. We were with my cousin and her partner, their first cruise, they were so impressed.

Regards

Lynda

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Silver_Shiney wrote:
I hope you are not inferring that I have a drink problem, sir, because I don't.

I drink

I get drunk

I fall over

No problem

:thumbup: :lol:

Return to “Celebrity”