Bridge of Spies

An area to discuss any books you have read, films that you have seen or television programmes

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Bridge of Spies

Post by oldbluefox »

Just got back from a very enjoyable afternoon at the cinema.
The film was a little slow at times as they set the scene. Essentially there are three threads to the plot which all come together at the end. Based on a true story it centres on the Cold War and I imagine it would be of particular interest to anyone who knew Berlin and the politics of that time involving USSR and the DDR (East Germany).
Directed by Stephen Spielberg. Tom Hanks plays a very credible negotiator and the whole film builds up in tension. Overall very recommendable.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Re: Bridge of Spies

Post by Ranchi »

Mark Rylance was outstanding...even if he did suggest that Sean Connery was a Geordie! :)

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

...and did you spot Hawkeye? Took me a few moments to register Alan Alda.

Topic author
oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

They were wasted on me Ranchi as I tend to watch few television series but OH pointed out what a good part Mark Rylance played.
Great re-creation of Checkpoint Charlie as I remember it.

Ranchi
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Ranchi »

Guess you must have missed MASH in the distant past, OBF. I thought Mark Rylance's accent sounded like Sean Connery. Abel was from Newcastle (but I do t think Ant or Dec could have carried it off!) I always like Tom Hanks - his acting is so effortless.
Enjoyed the film.

Return to “Book, Film & TV Club”