Port Marinated Stilton

Topics relating to P&O

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Re: Port Marinated Stilton

Post by qbman1 »

I think you'll find that Ray's point was, that as a celeriac(!), his choice of pud is very limited - usually gluten-free ice cream, although when we have travelled with our celeriac friend Pauline, the Head Waiter usually rustled up strawberries for her. Anyways, there is only so much of that "ice cream" one can eat so Raimondo likes to go for the cheese board.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Do you think the limited menu on your cruise Peter was because it was a short cruise ?
I did a 5 nighter on Arcadia in the summer and I don't recall there being any cuts to the menus.

Lindsey

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dark Knight wrote:
still can't see what a lack of a bit of cheese has to do with anything though???
Do keep up - I mentioned that I have to follow a very low salt diet - I only eat cheese very rarely

For people like Ray with Coeliac disease and me with Menieres Disease the right diet is essential to keep us well, so the removal of some of the plainer things from the menu is an issue for us - that's what we were talking about. I know dietary factors aren't so clear cut with Crohn's, but as you are a person with a chronic illness yourself, it might have been hoped that you'd have some empathy!
Gill

Dark Knight
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by Dark Knight »

Gill
do keep up
my #first world problems had nothing to do with whatever illnesses anybody has or has not
it has to do with a thread bemoaning the lack of port marinated stilton cheese. as though it is a make or break on a cruise or that it actually matters hence first world problems
Nihil Obstat

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Ask and ye shall be given !!!

We had port marinated stilton when ever we asked our wonderful waiters for it on Arcadia recently

Do not suffer in silence ;)

They will bring anything within their power if you only ask (nicely)

I've found that as long as you are pleasant to all the P&O staff, they can't do enough for you.

We always had excellent service.
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Dark Knight wrote:
Gill
do keep up
my #first world problems had nothing to do with whatever illnesses anybody has or has not
it has to do with a thread bemoaning the lack of port marinated stilton cheese. as though it is a make or break on a cruise or that it actually matters hence first world problems
Your (rather barbed comment) was posted immediately after my post, where I was setting out a problem that I could have with the menu - therefore is it a surprise that I took it that you referring to my problem
Gill

anniec
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by anniec »

Dark Knight wrote:
Gill
do keep up
You could say that about any subject comparing the trials and tribulations of cruising with world problems, but wouldn't that make the forum a tad quiet?

The clue is in the words "cruise" and "community". Doubtless there are many forums available to discuss first and second world issues.

daib GC
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by daib GC »

Stephen wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
I think a lot of things that we used to enjoy are still available - you just have to ask for them now and the waiters will seek them out !

Apart from the old large cookies we use to get in the cabin, silver service, nibbles in certain bars in the evening...etc etc

Still get nibbles Steven but not until about 2/3 days in as they make sure there is no NV about.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

daib GC wrote:
Stephen wrote:
qbman1 wrote:
I think a lot of things that we used to enjoy are still available - you just have to ask for them now and the waiters will seek them out !

Apart from the old large cookies we use to get in the cabin, silver service, nibbles in certain bars in the evening...etc etc

Still get nibbles Steven but not until about 2/3 days in as they make sure there is no NV about.

Can't say I noticed any daib. Perhaps they don't dish them out on four nighters, a bit like the draught beers. I never understand why they do that. A cruise is a cruise, no matter how short or long it is everything should be available. :crazy:

Topic author
Janet-
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Janet- »

barney wrote:
Ask and ye shall be given !!!
I did but I wasn't :(

Peter D
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by Peter D »

Whynd1 wrote:
Do you think the limited menu on your cruise Peter was because it was a short cruise ?
I did a 5 nighter on Arcadia in the summer and I don't recall there being any cuts to the menus.

Lindsey
You could be right Lindsey, just checked a 4 nighter on Arcadia we did a couple of years ago and there was only one menu per day on that one as well.

Shame really, some cruisers either do not like or cannot eat some of the items on offer and opt for the Classic ones.
Regards

Peter

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Perhaps I should pre-order with Head Office before next week to make sure they get enough ordered in !!

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
Perhaps I should pre-order with Head Office before next week to make sure they get enough ordered in !!
Can you get some for me as well please :thumbup:

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'll ask Merv to add it to my order. He's now on first name terms with that nice Mr Edgington so I am getting him to do all my negotiating. Shall I get some extra lobsters in whilst I am at it ?

david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

qbman1 wrote:
Shall I get some extra lobsters in whilst I am at it ?
Only if they do not "pollute" them with Thermador sauce :thumbdown:

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

qbman1 wrote:
I'll ask Merv to add it to my order. He's now on first name terms with that nice Mr Edgington so I am getting him to do all my negotiating. Shall I get some extra lobsters in whilst I am at it ?
Please Count me in when you are ordering the Port Marinated Stilton and lobster. I always find that soft cheeses are also hard to come by in the MDR. I often get some from the buffet but rarely at dinner.

Only 5 more sleeps.

Sue

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Right - looks like 1 van for the port, 1 for the Stilton and another for the lobster !

Not even thought about packing yet

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

I enjoy the port marinated stilton but it wouldn't ruin my life if it didn't turn up, and I can enjoy the ordinary stilton in one hand and the glass of port in the other, not that I'd admit that in the compo claim of course.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Mervyn and Trish wrote:
I enjoy the port marinated stilton but it wouldn't ruin my life if it didn't turn up, and I can enjoy the ordinary stilton in one hand and the glass of port in the other, not that I'd admit that in the compo claim of course.
Of course. I'll do it for you :angel:

Return to “P&O”