Reports about cruises on Arcadia

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Smurfie's Christmas Cruise

Post by david63 »

Preamble
This cruise was something that was on our “bucket list” – not the itinerary but the fact that it was a Christmas cruise and was something that we have been wanting to do for some time. The cruise was booked on the day that bookings opened when it was a 24 night cruise, but shortly after booking it was reduced to a 23 night cruise due to the fact that Arcadia is setting off on her World Cruise on the day that we return. As the cruise had one night removed the cost of the cruise was reduced proportionally and we were given £100 OBC each. Also on the occasions when I checked the prices the cabin grade was always more expensive.

Because of the time of year and the possibility of bad weather we decided that we needed to go down to Southampton on the day before we sailed. Also, rather than moving luggage in and out of the hotel we decided to try the Baggage Handling Company for most of our luggage.

Baggage Handling Company
I have to say that this is an excellent service – we were kept well informed as to when our baggage would be collected and on the day (the Wednesday before we sailed) we had a call from Craig to say what time they would be picking our luggage up and they were there at that time. Coincidentally as we arrived at the terminal the BHC were just unloading and we saw our cases.

On a side not it appears that the Baggage Handling Company may either use their own van to pick up the luggage or use a courier service.

Friday 18th December
We set off from home about 10:00 and arrived at Chilwell Manor at 14:30 (ish) after having a relatively easy journey down. Checked-in and settled in the room, no problem. Now the fun begins – I booked this hotel package back in February knowing full well that the weekend before Christmas was going to busy and for that reason I phoned to book a table for dinner at the beginning of December and confirmed this upon arrival. I was not, therefore, overly impressed to get a phone call at 17:15 to say that there had been a “mis-communication” and that we would not be able to eat until 20:45. I pointed out that I had already confirmed this upon arrival and that that time was not acceptable, upon which I was told that we could eat at 18:30 – not sure what difference this made as people were arriving at all times.

Saturday 19th December
We arrived at the terminal about 12:30 after the short journey from the hotel. Our requested arrival time was 13:30 but as we had to wait somewhere it made little difference as to whether it was at the hotel or at the terminal. By the time we arrived the departure lounge was probably about half full and those with priority boarding were already checking in. We were given Blue “C” cards (cards are issued grey, blue, red and green with what appear to be random letters). We were called to check-in at 13:30 (give or take the odd minute) only to be regaled with moans of “this is organised chaos”.

To be honest it all seemed well organised and no sign of being chaotic. As far as I could see there was really nothing much different with this procedure than before other than passengers were being given cards that pertained to their requested arrival time on the e-ticket rather than their actual arrival time.

Once we had been “processed” we went straight through security and onto the ship. Although nobody said one way or the other we went straight to our cabin which was ready, as was most of our luggage. A quick bite to eat (and a glass of wine) and then on with the unpacking before muster drill.

Muster drill was the same as always with several passengers turning up late and several others not listening so they were wearing their lifejackets! One small change that we have not encountered before was that we were guided to our muster station via the “back stairs”.

Arcadia
To us Arcadia is starting to look a bit tired – some of the carpets are getting worn and the bathrooms are definitely in need of refurbishment.

One thing that is being pushed is “our footprint” which under the guise of being eco-friendly is another way of cutting costs (switch lights off, use towels more than once etc.)

Sunday 20th – Tuesday 22nd
Being the time of year we were not expecting much in the way of decent weather for the first few days and we have not been disappointed, in fact it has been quite “choppy” which, of course, means that everyone is “milling around” inside which in turn means that they have to sit in the Belvedere reading their books and doing their handicrafts preventing other passengers from having their meal.

Tonight (Tuesday) is the first “Black tie” night which, being the fourth night, is somewhat unusual but I suspect is down to the weather. This, of course, is fodder for the moaners.

To be continued …

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Smurfie's Christmas Cruise

Post by Happydays »

Interesting read shall look forward to the next installment! Have a good time:)

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Keep it coming David :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

oldbluefox
Ex Team Member

Post by oldbluefox »

Sounds like the Convention of Serial Moaners are having their AGM. Looking forward to the next instalment.

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Enjoying this :)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Looking forward to more - have a great time.
Gill

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Often wondered if we'll ever do a Christmas cruise so am following this with interest. Have a wonderful time!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Have you run into Cubie yet David? Did he enjoy his curled up canapies, and did he get his priority boarding?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

towny44 wrote:
Have you run into Cubie yet David? Did he enjoy his curled up canapies, and did he get his priority boarding?
Yes great report so far, but this is what the world is waiting to know. Or did you leave him waving on the quayside? :thumbup:

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

I'm glad you posting your report, as I've been thinking about Arcadia this week.

We were on last year's Christmas cruise on Arcadia (only a week long cruise), but we really enjoyed it.

Will look forward to reading more.
Gill

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

This is good. Why do they cruise if they are going to moan right from the start? Keep up the reports. Did the formal dress night go well, did a hight percentage dress up? We have done several Christmas Cruises.
Jay

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

jay-ell71 wrote:
This is good. Why do they cruise if they are going to moan right from the start? Keep up the reports. Did the formal dress night go well, did a hight percentage dress up? We have done several Christmas Cruises.
For some of them that is the highlight of the holiday, and hoping for compo to pay for the next. :sarcasm:

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

Hope you're having a great time. Looking forward to the next report.

Romig1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Romig1 »

I see from the webcam that you have got into port in The Azores...that should keep Cubie happy (for a while at least).

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Wednesday 23rd December
Last night was, as I said before, the first of six “black tie” nights and was in general well supported – obviously there have to be the exceptions. It was an MPW gala dinner which was a step up from the norm – especially when I asked for some Stilton and it came with port, something that upset several other members of our table as they were not aware that it was available (this forum does have its uses from time to time :thumbup: ). On the topic of food we feel that the standard has declined slightly, not in presentation (being plated) but just somehow “not what it used to be” and certainly portion sizes have gone smaller.

One other point – Club dining times are 18:15 and 20:15.

As for the entertainment – we are still waiting for the entertainment schedule which has not been printed yet as there was a “problem with the printer which was only fixed in Southampton so they are behind” (call me cynical if you will but this sounds like more “cost cutting” :moresarcasm: ). There is, however, one group on board which, in our opinion, is amongst the best groups that we have encountered on any cruise ship and they are called Indigo Sky – not a group (well actually a duo) that we have seen before.

So far we are somewhat disappointed with the lack of “Christmas spirit” :thumbdown: – apart from some of the bar staff wearing “Santa” hats, the Gingerbread Village and a few Christmas trees it could be any other cruise – we just hope something magical will happen in the next couple of days.

Today, despite the weather and “doom and gloom” predictions, we actually managed to dock at Ponta Delgada on a somewhat cool (17 C) and overcast day, with the occasional light shower. Not sure if this is record but this is now the second time that we have managed to get ashore here. No doubt there will be complaints that the ship docked and the moaners will have nothing to moan about!

No I have not encountered the "golden one" who, I presume, would be instantly recognisable by his gold card around his neck :lol: .

To be continued …

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

I truly hope something magical happens over the next few days :D I know if Jo was here she would agree with me, it's such a shame that a lot of cut backs have happened, but if this is your first Christmas Cruise you can only speak as you find.

Whatever, you are being looked after and tomorrow will bring something special as will the next few days. At least your Wife hasn't got to put the crosses in the sprouts!!! :thumbup:

Continue having a great time :wave:

Merry Christmas to you both.

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

I wonder if poor Cubie has been quarantined to his cabin, or something?
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Jean W wrote:
At least your Wife hasn't got to put the crosses in the sprouts!!!
That's my job anyway - as is all of Christmas dinner

wolfie
First Officer
First Officer

Post by wolfie »

"we just hope something magical will happen in the next couple of days."

Maybe Santa will be on the funnel; he was there on Arcadia in 2010 but he may be booked for other ships this year!! Whether that is magical or not is debatable.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

"No doubt there will be complaints that the ship docked and the moaners will have nothing to moan about!"

We noticed a distinct lack of moaners on our last cruise.

Our little game we play is to look for
M&M's - Moaning Minnies
&
Triple B's - that's triple beige - beige jacket, beige trousers, beige shoes

Disappointed on all accounts although Mrs barney did spot a Triple B from the Balmoral in Lanzagrotty
I said that it didn't count

Didn't encounter a single M&M
Empty vessels .. and all that

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

wolfie wrote:
Maybe Santa will be on the funnel; he was there on Arcadia in 2010 but he may be booked for other ships this year!! Whether that is magical or not is debatable.
He climbed out of the funnel on Arcardia last year, on Christmas Eve.

We were in Oslo, and snow was on the ground, and dusk was beginning to fall

They had a deck party, and everyone was wrapped up against the cold, singing Christmas songs and drinking mulled wine. It was great fun, and quite possibly magical.
Gill

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

towny44 wrote:
I wonder if poor Cubie has been quarantined to his cabin, or something?
Maybe still snuffling up the crumbs from the curly canapes. :thumbup:

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Hope you have a nice day and a lovely Gala Evening. If the weather is less than clement, don't worry it is truly horrible here! Judith
Jay

Topic author
david63
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by david63 »

Thursday 24th December
Today started off being overcast and cloudy but there were a few hints of the sun appearing as the day progressed, but it was still very windy with some areas of the outside decks still being closed off – not that that prevented some from ignoring it and going out.

Apparently there is somewhere on board where you can get an exemption certificate so that you do not have to conform to the same rules as everyone else (such not having to wash your hands) but I have, as yet, been unable to find out where and when these certificates are actually issued.

Once we got into the late afternoon then there was a bit more of a Christmas atmosphere on board – firstly with Santa arriving, although with the strong wind it was not altogether conducive to being up on deck for too long. Christmas music was starting to be played on board and there was an excellent Christmas show in the theatre by the Headliners.

We also received our P&O Christmas present tonight and without sounding ungrateful we, along with many others, were totally underwhelmed.

Friday 25th December
Well the big day arrived and started off as any other day – the only exception was the Christmas music that was being played. We thought that P&O “missed a trick” at breakfast by not having Bucks Fizz available (OK perhaps not everyone’s “cup of tea” but something that would have just added a special touch to the start if Christmas Day)

The weather seems to be improving slightly with the temperature warming up a bit, the wind decreasing and somewhat less movement of the ship :thumbup: .

There were several Christmas themed activities on board today but nothing to make it “special”. Perhaps our expectations for a special Christmas are too high but we get the overall feeling that Christmas is an inconvenience in the normal ship’s routine.

Tonight’s dinner was, obviously, mainly based around a “traditional” Christmas Dinner, with crackers and part hats, and was probably one of the best meals that I have had (the Stilton was even better than before :thumbup: ) in the MDR of any P&O ship but having said that there was nothing else much that was “Christmassy”.

To be continued …

jay-ell71
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by jay-ell71 »

Perhaps Pando believe that Christmas cruisers are trying to get away from the Christmas razz-m-razz? Glad you had a good dinner. If your weather is improving, ours is not!!! :thumbdown:
Jay

Return to “Arcadia Cruise Reports”