My 1st Christmas Cruise

Reports about cruises on Britannia

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

My 1st Christmas Cruise

Post by Jan Rosser »

I will try to make this short and sweet and truthfully stopped making notes after a few days so will have to rely on my memory for most of it. This was my first Christmas cruise and I was travelling with my son, DIL and two granddaughters plus son's in-laws and my cruise buddies JenniC and Steve.

Flight - Thomson Dreamliner
As you can imagine a lot of excitement on the way to Manchester airport although after being subjected to a “pat down” at security and my bag being checked twice (first time my fault - left a tube of Savlon in first aid kit and second time a “random” search) I couldn’t wait to have my bacon bap and a cuppa. We had pre-booked our seats however my son had a guy next to him who was swigging from a flask through most of the journey and in fact we noticed him and his party having a good drink at the airport. Behind me was his girlfriend - a very drunk Russian lady who slept with her leg out in the aisle for most of the journey causing problems for the poor cabin crew or begging the boyfriend to give her a baby - he kept telling her it was inappropriate - we were all very amused as you can guess - oh well takes all sorts :crazy:

The arrival at Barbados was efficient as usual - on the buses to the terminal very quickly but as on other occasions we were kept on the bus because of the huge queue in the terminal and being one of the last flights just had to wait our turn.

The ship was very tastefully decorated - lots of trees and garlands and gingerbread villages and cakes - my favourite tree being the one made out of Lanson Champagne bottles :lol: I did hear some people say that P&O hadn’t made much of an effort but I thought it was great - no pleasing some people.

Cabins
Having been on Britannia in July I remembered my way around - i was on D deck - a balcony cabin port side. My son and family were on G deck - two obstructed balcony cabins but actually they were over the Costa coffee shop outside space so quite a clear view. They were delighted although had a cabin between them so couldn’t inter-connect - the girls are too young to be on their own so shared with a parent. My son’s in-laws had an inside cabin on D deck.

Dining
We were on Freedom dining in the Meridian restaurant - I really like the way the dining room is sectioned off - it makes it more cosy somehow and quieter. We ate at about 6.30 pm most nights and never had to queue but did notice queues on our way out at around 8 pm. The waiters made a big fuss of the girls and in fact apart from Christmas and New Year we dined at the same table each night - my 8 year old granddaughter remembered the table number after the first night and informed the head waiter of it each time - they were very amused - I have to say the waiters were very friendly. A few times they brought a second meal for my son because the portion was small - needless to say he didn’t refuse. The food was varied with some items on every night e.g. prawn cocktail, steak and one of my favourites the brioche bread and butter pudding. The Christmas dinner was very good and the Christmas pudding the best I have eaten in a long time but I must admit i did think the New Year’s Eve menu was a bit strange although my choice of monkfish and lobster tail was delicious. We normally had breakfast in the dining room and lunch in the Horizon - this is much improved in the layout, space etc. and the choice of food was excellent - teas and coffees served at the table makes life easier too.

Entertainment
The Headliners or whatever they are called on Britannia only performed 3 or 4 times and I had seen the shows in July but went along because it was all new to the family - now my granddaughters speak their minds and declared the shows better on the other ships. They did however like Gareth Oliver the ventriloquist who they hadn’t seen before - he did the same routine and chose a guy to use as a puppet who in fairness played along and was hilarious. We also liked the Freddie Mercury tribute act which was in the theatre and much to my granddaughters’ embarrassment we sung along and did all the actions to the songs - Olivia said she knows now why her daddy is so bonkers. We watched a Beatles tribute band in the Live Lounge - they were okay but not as good as the act we saw in Liverpool in 2014 on the Round Britain trip. The entertainment team were led by Neil Oliver and he really knows how to work an audience - the sailaways were all great especially the Great British sailaway and he really built up a fantastic atmosphere on Christmas Eve waiting for Father Christmas - it was really special - the girls loved it - well truthfully I think most adults loved it too - of course it helped that we were up on deck on a balmy night drinking champagne.

to be continued ...
Janis

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: My 1st Christmas Cruise

Post by Jan Rosser »

Part 2
Ports
All the ports were new to the family and they had booked a few excursions but we usually picked up a local bus or taxi to the beach and I think this was the highlight of their holiday - the family simply loved the beaches - each beach a little bit different but I think this is the stand-out thing about the cruise the pleasure they had from swimming in the warm waters of the Caribbean and seeing all the islands. We went to the beaches on Grand Cayman, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, Grenada and Barbados but sadly not Dominica where we had real tropical rain and spent most of our time indoors. We did visit the market in the shed where the ship was docked but it was full of the usual tourist rubbish although my granddaughters managed to spend a few dollars there. The trip in the water taxi from the ship to Grand Anse Bay in Grenada was hilarious - it started raining and the boat had very little cover so we got absolutely soaked but we laughed it off and the sun came out drying us off eventually. Cane Garden Beach was consistent in soaking us - happens every time I go there - the kids loved the drive up and over the island to the beach - the views are amazing.

We did a trip in Aruba - Semi Sub and Sights the highlight of which was the submarine trip - fascinating seeing all the fish and the shipwreck followed by a drive around the island. We did a snorkelling trip in Antigua but it was pretty choppy and although my son and DIL were okay it was just too rough for the girls but we stopped at a beach afterwards so they could snorkel there. They also went to Dunn River Falls although they didn’t climb the falls - they walked down to the beach which was quiet and swam there.

We arrived back in Barbados on New Year’s day and Arcadia was in port too. We took a taxi to the beach and had another lovely day - had a late lunch and a night in port as we were departing on the Saturday flights. I did look for a large pussy cat who was sailing on Arcadia - Cubie stood me up though - typical :sarcasm:

Jenni fell on the beach at Holetown and unfortunately broke her wrist - the medical team on the ship were marvellous and patched her up so that she could travel home - she was in a lot of pain but glad it happened on the last day of our holiday.

Christmas Eve and Day - At Sea
The build up to the arrival of Father Christmas was as you’d expect from Neil Oliver and Paul Brown - mysterious sightings in the sky etc etc culminating with him appearing at the top of the funnel - we all loved it - fabulous atmosphere helped along again by the champagne. Christmas morning we got together in one of the cabins to open the gifts we had brought with us plus the girls had gifts from Santa. Each cabin had a gift of the P&O Monopoly game - appreciated by many but not by some - on departure morning someone had left one outside the cabin with the rubbish. I believe the game was given to passengers on all the P&O ships sailing over Christmas. We breakfasted in the dining room and the waiters were all happily wearing their hats and I must say were pretty cheerful considering they were so far away from their families. I honestly don’t think I would do this trip without the family and I know Jenni and Steve really missed their family on Christmas Day - dinner was at 6.15 pm and Jenni and Steve joined us - as mentioned earlier the meal was very good - we went to a show afterwards and had a drink - no gorging on chocolate and nuts which we would have done at home - too full.

New Year’s Eve
We ate in the dining room but this time without Jenni and Steve - they had booked the Epicurean. The menu had the obligatory haggis on it which my son had. Unfortunately we had the table from hell next to us - a very loud couple whose voices carried over everyone else’s and she moaned about everything and swore a lot - completely unnecessary and inappropriate with young children on the next table. The girls were too tired to stay up so I met up with Jenni and Steve and we went up to the deck party - had a few Kir Royales - great atmosphere and countdown to the New Year - so funny as after the chimes at midnight the heavens opened and everyone ran for cover.

Departure Day - Barbados
We booked a cabin for the day as our flight was one of the last to leave. We had a leisurely breakfast and a stroll around the shops at the port then lunch. We left the ship at 3.45 pm and found the usual queues at the airport for security but soon through and because it was a late flight not too busy. Unfortunately a passenger was taken ill on the plane and we were going to divert to Shannon but she died and we continued on to Manchester. - such an upsetting time for the family and the crew. Arrived back in Manchester to a cold dry morning - all very tired and went to bed for a few hours when we got back.

Final Verdict
Loved it all - being with the family and friends in the sun on a ship being waited on - waking up every day to a new place - what’s not to like - would I do it again - definitely but as I said only with family - the girls enjoyed it so much and are still talking about it - aren’t they lucky children to experience such a holiday and I consider myself blessed to share it with them.
Janis

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Sounds like a very good Christmas and New Year on Britannia with one of my favourite entertainment acts - was it Steve Larkin as Freddie Mercury, if so I am soooo jealous.

I struggled a bit with being away from home on Oceana for Christmas until I was able to ring my son and his partner and my sister on Christmas Day. Seems pathetic really (he is 40 for goodness sake) but we are so used to spending Christmas Day with my son but you had the best of both worlds having your family with you.

Thanks for the review.

Maureen

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Thanks for such an enjoyable read, Janis. We have yet to do a Christmas cruise and hope to do one next year.

How sad that the passenger died on your flight. Tony has had to rush to the aid of a cruise passenger on a return VA flight from Miami. It was touch and go with him, which affected the crew, but someone dying must be very disturbing for all concerned.

Welcome home!
Gill

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Kenmo1 wrote:
Sounds like a very good Christmas and New Year on Britannia with one of my favourite entertainment acts - was it Steve Larkin as Freddie Mercury, if so I am soooo jealous.

I struggled a bit with being away from home on Oceana for Christmas until I was able to ring my son and his partner and my sister on Christmas Day. Seems pathetic really (he is 40 for goodness sake) but we are so used to spending Christmas Day with my son but you had the best of both worlds having your family with you.

Thanks for the review.

Maureen
Yes it was Steve Larkin and although I have seen him before i thought he was much better in the theatre with the orchestra supporting him.
Janis

gfwgfw
First Officer
First Officer

Post by gfwgfw »

:wave: Dear Jan

Well done lovely lady

The Giant is still hesitant to cruise without the "much beloved"

Lubbooo lots :wave:

Graham x
Gentle Giant of Cerne Abbas :wave:

Raybosailor
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Raybosailor »

Thanks for the review Jan I am now looking forward to our Christmas and New Year on Oceana this year, shame about your experiences on outbound and particularly inbound flights which reminded me why I like Southampton - Southampton cruises.

barney
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by barney »

Thanks for a lovely review Jan

Glad that you had a good time :thumbup:
Empty vessels .. and all that

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Sounds good, Blod. I'm still waiting for you in Barbados !

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

I enjoyed your review - thanks very much
We are taking our first Xmas cruise this year ... your experiences have hightened our anticipation

Topic author
Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

sunseeker99 wrote:
I enjoyed your review - thanks very much
We are taking our first Xmas cruise this year ... your experiences have hightened our anticipation
I am so jealous - I absolutely loved it but with both my son and DIL teaching the cruise had to fit exactly into school holidays and so far we haven't found anything suitable but still looking .......
Janis

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Sounds like a wonderful cruise - sounds like you all had a fab time
Gill

JenniC
Ex Team Member

Post by JenniC »

Cannot really add much.. Can't type for long with LH anyway :lolno: was such a brilliant holiday and soon got over missing family :crazy: and what a truly wonderful family the Rossers are..
Jenni

Return to “Britannia Cruise Reports”