Oceana E602 - A cruise diary

Reports about cruises on Oceana

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Oceana E602 - A cruise diary

Post by Gill W »

I'll be posting my diary from the this cruise.

It was a 35 night cruise...... So there'll be quite a few entries.

Day 1 - 8th February - Embarkation.

We presented ourselves at the Mayflower at 12.45, in a very timely manner for our 1pm Caribbean boarding time, and received a grey letter G boarding card.

At first glance, the terminal appeared to be heaving with people, but we went to the back of the terminal and were able to find seats.

They had just started boarding the suite people and the Ligurian's as we arrived. Our colour card was called at around 1.20pm, but we had to queue for quite a while to get to a check NI desk. Check in seemed to take longer than usual - they had to take our passports, I imagine for US immigration. They tried to give me the wrong receipt for my passport. The person in the next numbered cabin has the same first name as me, so there was a further delay when they had to go and get the correct receipt.

We were eventually onboard at 1.45. The cabins weren't ready so we went straight to our 'Goldie' canapés in the Ligurian restaurant. There was no announcement about cabins being ready ( at least not an announcement heard in the restaurant), so at 215 we decided to go and find our cabin. When we got there, it was all ready for us, and all three cases were there, so we were able to unpack.

From our experience, it just seemed like a normal embarkation. No real improvements, and cabins not ready when we boarded. In fact we had to wait longer than normal to board but I expect these longer cruises have lots of loyalty priority passengers.

The safety muster was at 5pm, and the captain told us that we were going to sail sometime after 6.30. As this was the day of Storm Imogen, I'm surprised that we sailed that evening - we went at about 6.50.

We are in the Adriatic restaurant on 1st sitting. This is a return to club dining after several freedom dining cruises. But, as had been reported, club dining on Oceana is now at 6pm, which is early for most people. It caught some people out on the first night, as several people turned up at 6.30.

We were a little disappointed to get a table for 4, rather than 2. But our table mates seem fine, and I think we'll get along with them. They were honest and said that they originally wanted a table for 2 as well, and not to worry if we don't turn up some nights, so they seem easy going.

The captain has announced that there'll be 7 metre swells in the Bay of Biscay tomorrow, so it should be interesting.

(EDIT - when I got home, my friend told me that they had been predicting 60 foot swells)
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Re: Oceana E602 - A cruise diary

Post by Gill W »

Day 2 - 9th February - at sea.

Yes, it was interesting.

The seas were lively over night, and had really picked up by morning.

We went to breakfast in the Plaza, and I had some fruit. Afterwards, I didn't feel that good, and didn't emerge from my cabin again until dinner time.

It was probably the worse sea day I've ever had - the ship was really being pounded by the waves, and and rising up and slamming back into the sea with loud bangs. We had to put away all loose items, and things that we couldn't put away ended up on the floor, like the phone!

I spent most of the day lying on my bed, reading and dozing, and by dinner time I felt a little better, so thought I'd chance going down to dinner.

We have a nice table for 4 on the starboard side of the Adriatic restaurant.

Half way though the meal, there was an almighty bang, and empty chairs went over, not to mention glasses and flower vases. Fortunately we managed to hang on to all our glasses on our table, but we tell this wasn't an ordinary sort of bang.

There is a wooden divider between our table and the next part of the restaurant, with a glass panel so I could see though it. There was a lot of activity on the other side of the divider with staff milling around. Then the captain came over the tannoy, to say that a freak wave had damaged windows on. The starboard side of the Adriatic restaurant.

By this time, passengers on the affected tables were being led away. I noticed the medical team taking one man away in a wheel chair. He had been sitting on a adjacent table, i don't think he was injured, just a bit shocked.

There was a call for the assessment team (they said it was for exercise only, which was a bit odd). By this time there were lots of crew members in the area that had been affected, and many tables had been cleared.

The captain came back on the tannoy, to say that they were going to put shutters of over the damaged windows. From our vantage point behind our wooden divider we saw a lot of this activity going on.

Then I noticed a crew member turn away with his hands over his head, there was another massive crash, and one of the damaged Windows blew completely!

At this point, I got up to have a look, and the sight of curtains blowing horizontally into the restaurant was slightly disconcerting to say the least!

Our waiters came to shoo all the people away from the rest of the window tables - I think they were getting concerned that the change in pressure might affect other Windows too. I was only too pleased to go at this point.

We returned to our cabin, and for a while I was seriously thinking we'd have to get our warm clothing and a head covering!

But they managed to patch it up and 2nd sitting was delayed.

We're probably going to get proper repairs done in Madeira.

Nobody seems to have been injured, fortunately, but it was a bit of an alarming thing to happen.
Gill

Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Blimey, that sounds eventful Gill, I hope the other 33 nights were less so.

Interesting read so far, thank you :)

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

Gosh I imagine that was rather scary. Hope nobody was seriously hurt.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

You couldn't say it was boring! Certainly be one to remember. Shall look forward to the next entry. Thank you.

sunseeker16
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by sunseeker16 »

:o

Hope there aren't too many soon-to-be first-time cruisers reading this

The Tinker
First Officer
First Officer

Post by The Tinker »

If its rough - I will be asking for a table in the middle of the restaurant in future!!

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

We once had a rough one on Oceana when the shops were completely wrecked and closed for a week but nothing quite like that, Gill. I am sure some people were really worried.

Meg 50
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Meg 50 »

blimey - what a start!
Meg
x

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

Who was it who said that sea days are boring .... :oops:
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I think the actual quote was "sea days make me sick" !!

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

It was one of those things you read about happening, but you never thought it'd actually happen to you..

Some repairs were carried out in Madeira, but I noticed that one window was still covered in a metal plate, during our last port in the Azores. As it wasn't painted, it'd got very rusty and a there was a rust stain down the side of the ship. It looked unsightly, so I hope they're going to put it right ASAP.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Day 3 - 4 10th - 11th February - at sea

These two days have seen a marked improvement in sea conditions. At lunch time on day 4, as I write this note, we are down to two metre swells, and the ship is moving a little, but just 'normally'.

So, we've been able to settle ourselves into our shipboard routine. So far we've had our breakfast and lunch in the Plaza buffet. Since we were last on Oceana, I've noticed that there is extra seating in the Plaza (where the dance floor used to be). There is also a light buffet in the Adriatic Restaurant, so these factors mean that the buffet is slightly less hectic. No doubt we'll be trying other venues as the cruise progresses, including Cafe Jardin.

On the food front, my readers may remember my special diet 'broccoli hell', on Britannia. I am determined not to let that happen on this cruise.

As it happens on our table of 4, the other couple are both on a special diet - she is low fat, and he is no salt like me.

On my first night, I had steak, and it came with chips, mushrooms and tomatoes, just as it should be. On the second night, I had cod in a paprika and butter bean sauce, and it was served with the ubiquitous plain potatoes, carrots and broccoli. My heart sank! I didn't eat much of it, mainly due to feeling ill, but the potatoes looked particularly unappetising, with lots of black bits.

When the head waiter took my order for the next night, coq au vin, I explained that I'd like it to be served with the vegetables on the menu, not plain veg, and especially not broccoli! The next night - success - mushroom and Mediterranean vegetables.

My special diet dining companions didn't fare so well, however. They ended up with plain carrots and broccoli.

So, when they made their order for this evening, they also explained that they'd like the proper vegetables too!

We wait to see what'll happen this evening

Tonight is the first formal night, delayed from yesterday due to the sea states. The captain's welcome reception is at 5.30 - so early, due to the change to 6pm for 1st sitting.

In the meantime, will be reading, walking, and seeing the last lecture on a Magna Carta theme. Medieval history is one of my 'things', so I'm pleased that there's a variation on the normal Concorde lectures and WW2. The other lecturer on this leg of the cruise has been talking about American composers like Cole Porter and George Gershwin. Again, something different, so that's welcome.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Day 5 - 12th February - Madeira

We had a lovely day in Madeira, with blue skies, barely a cloud to be seen and temperatures up to 21C.

We spent the morning wandering in Funchal, stopping at the Ritz Cafe for an ice cream. We were last in Funchal in 2010, and since then a cruise terminal has been built and a new promenade. It's a very pleasant place to walk round - we particularly enjoyed the bustling Workers Market, with it's beautiful fresh fruit and vegetables, and the weird and wonderful fish that were on sale.

Last night, we attended the captains welcome reception, on our first formal night. The dress code was almost 100% observed, I just saw 2 men in open necked shorts. Everyone else seemed to be in their formal attire.

It was the first Headliners show - and it was a new one to me - a Blues Brothers themed show featuring a real mini car on stage! The Headliners are doing three shows a night at 7pm, 8.30 and 10.30.

This afternoon we sat out near the pools, enjoying the sun.

Just a word on the special diet front - I think we are getting there. Last night, my vegetables arrived as per the menu, apart from the 'Pommes Puree' potatoes. I didn't get any potatoes at all. My fellow no salt table mate, got his vegetables per the menu too..... Plus some potatoes, but they were the plain boiled spuds with the black bits. I wasn't going to complain - I wouldn't have eaten those potatoes anyway! Tonight I got exactly what I wanted - piri piri chicken and French fries. It we continue like that I'll be delighted.

Our entertainment this evening was either 'Piano Showman Chris Hamilton' in Footlights or a Tina Turner tribute in Starlights. We chose to see the piano guy, and both thought he was fabulous. He ended his show with something that (apparently) Liberace used to do. The audience called out the names of tunes, and he played them as a medley. The only tune he struggled with a bit was the theme from Rawhide. I think he may have been a bit young to remember that one. I was unfortunately too shy to call out my choice, Bat Out of Hell, by Meatloaf!

So far I'm pleased with the choice of shows. We've also had good old Roy Walker, but I'm hopeful I'm going to see a few new to me acts.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Day 6 - 10 13th - 17th February - At Sea

I'm writing this on the 5th and last sea day of our sail to the Caribbean.

These sea days have gone very quickly. The first two were overcast, but the sun broke through on day three, and the temperatures have been rising steadily. According to my TV screen in the cabin, today's temperature is 25C, but I think it's warmer than that.

From the third sea day, we've been sitting out on deck. There was a deck BBQ today. For a couple of lunch times we've been to Cafe Jardin. The Cafe Jardin is really a little gem. I hope they don't change it, but there's word that it's going to become a Sindhu. As much as I like Sindhu, I hope this isn't true, as Cafe Jardin is unique in the P&O fleet, and I'd be sorry to see it go.

On the special diet front - we've cracked it! Meals are being prepared to our liking and no broccoli to be seen, unless it appears on the menu! We're also enjoying the company of our dining companions.

We've had two more formal nights in quick succession. From tomorrow we enter the port intensive part of the cruise, so it's smart casual all the way to the 28th. Slightly less take up for formal wear over the last two nights - quite a few men seemed to be opting out.

It was our Peninsular cocktail party last night. There are so many Caribbeans and above on this cruises, they are doing the parties over two nights. There will be six lunches.

We didn't attend our cocktail party. At 5.30pm, it was just too early.

The change in the dining time hasn't been popular, and from tomorrow it changes to 6.15pm for 1st sitting and 8.15pm for 2nd. That will be much better.

I'd read a few reports suggesting that Oceana was in a poor condition. I have to admit, there is some foundation in these reports. For example, many of the carpets are worn, and there is a lot of rust around. But they are constantly working on her. In fact part of the prom deck is always roped off where they're working, which is impacting my walking campaign!

We are in St Lucia tomorrow, a place we've been too several times before. I'm not sure if we'll get off the ship, we may just enjoy Oceana in peace and quiet.
Gill

suespud
First Officer
First Officer

Post by suespud »

Loving your diary Gill.

colin parry
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by colin parry »

Hi Gill
Re your comment about the pianist playing a medley of tunes called out by the audience, this was a speciality of a gentleman called Vincent Billington who was a regular on cruises in the late 90s and early noughties.He was from Yorkshire and played regularly with the Palm Court orchestra on the radio. His patter was just like Victor Borge. Sadly he died about 5 or 6 years ago.
Colin
ps I am enjoying your review.!

GillD46
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by GillD46 »

So Pleased to read that your diet is more successful this time. Looking forward to more.
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Enjoying your diary, keep it going:)

Kenmo1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Kenmo1 »

Gill - enjoying your diary but after reading day 2, 9th February, about the window blowing in, I am no longer so disappointed about not being able to do the trip. I would have been wearing my lifejacket for the rest of the trip !!!.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Maureen

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

colin parry wrote:
Hi Gill
Re your comment about the pianist playing a medley of tunes called out by the audience, this was a speciality of a gentleman called Vincent Billington who was a regular on cruises in the late 90s and early noughties.He was from Yorkshire and played regularly with the Palm Court orchestra on the radio. His patter was just like Victor Borge. Sadly he died about 5 or 6 years ago.
Colin
ps I am enjoying your review.!
I have so much admiration for people who can play music by request.

He did something different in his second show, as he thought everyone would have had time to think of really obscure tunes! Instead, he had memorised all the Oscar winning tunes since 1934. The audience shouted out years, and he played the appropriate tune.
Kenmo1 wrote:
Gill - enjoying your diary but after reading day 2, 9th February, about the window blowing in, I am no longer so disappointed about not being able to do the trip. I would have been wearing my lifejacket for the rest of the trip !!!.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Maureen

I have to admit, it's the first time I felt less than 100% safe on a ship.
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Day 11 - 18th February - St Lucia

Our first Caribbean port - St Lucia.

This is a port we have visited several times before. We hadn't planned to do too much here, but had hoped that we would berth at the pleasant Pointe Seraphine cruise ship terminal, as it's a nice place to wander round, and maybe have a drink at a bar.

However, this berth was assigned to Carnival Liberty, so we had to dock at the 'Town Berth'. We wondered whether to catch the little ferry over to Point Seraphine, but in the end just had a wander along the bay front to get some photos of Oceana. We also looked in the small duty free mall near our berth and purchased two little rum cakes.

The weather was pleasant, with a light cooling breeze, so after awhile we went back to the ship, so we could relax in the sun. No sooner had we settled down on our loungers, when there was a sharp shower of liquid sunshine. So we retreated under cover. Then it seemed to brighten up, so we sat out in the sun again, only for another shower to pass over.

We decided to have lunch, and afterwards it was still a bit cloudy, so we went to see the afternoon film, only to find out later that it had turned into a very sunny afternoon.

I've got Sudoku on my iPad, and we also brought with us a Sudoku book and a word search book. I used to be really sharp with puzzles, but I'm so out of practice. I'm now on a mission to retrain my brain, on a use it or lose it basis!

Our entertainment this evening was Headliners in School Daze. I can't remember seeing this show on other ships, but I remember it from six years ago when we were last on Oceana. I think it was a bit old then.... The music from 'today's generation' was from the 90's!
Gill

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Day 12. - 19th February - St Kitts

Carnival Liberty and a Costa ship are 'parked' at the Port Zante cruise terminal. We've had to dock at the industrial port. Why is it always P&O that get the duff berths?!?

There is a shuttle mini bus service to the main cruise terminal area. However, this is another place we have visited before, so we felt we wouldn't bother to get the shuttle to a place we'd only want to walk round for a short time.

So, we sat around the pool area, in a prime location right by one of the pools. It was a bit cloudy, but still very pleasant.

We then went to Cafe Jardin for lunch. While we were there, we noticed our Captain, Simon Love, dining with Mrs Captain. The Captain was in his civvy clothes, as he is in fact leaving us today. He has been standing in for Captain Andrew Willard, who has been off sick, recovering from an operation. Captain Willard takes over from today.

This afternoon, we returned to the open decks around the pool, as the sun was well and truly out. There was a 70's music quiz, and we scored 35 out of 40 which was respectable. I've also done some Prom deck walking.

This evening it's tropical night, so I'm just signing off here to dig out our brightest clothes.
Gill

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Really enjoying your reports Gill. Oceana is one of my favourite ships. Cafe Jardin is a little gem, do hope it stays.

Lindsey

Topic author
Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Day 13 - 20th February - Tortola

The vast majority of the passengers joined in with the Tropical Night last night, with the ladies in brightly coloured dresses and the men in their Hawaiian shirts. We attended the deck party for a while. The entertainment team lead the dancing, then we were entertained by Catch 22.

Today we are visiting Tortola. It's been a few years since we've called here, and they have built a new duty free mall at the cruise terminal. Not all the shops are occupied yet, but I think it'll be impressive when it's fully completed. I bought myself a bracelet, which I think will match the dress I intend wearing this evening.

We walked along to the the Governor's House, had a look round there, then walked back to see the boats in the Inner Harbour. It seems to be a pattern that the morning is cloudy with a few short showers, and the afternoons are sunny.

We are pleased with our choice of cabin, an outside cabin on deck C. Prior to our retirement, we nearly always had a balcony cabin. But, to make these longer cruises at a cost acceptable to us, we've sacrificed the balcony. The only time I've really missed the balcony is in the late afternoon, just before we start getting ready for dinner, when we'd sit on the balcony and watch the sailaway. But it's no real trouble to pop down to the Prom deck or up to the pool if we want some air.

The cabin is a larger than average outside cabin. It's the size of a normal balcony cabin, but the area of the balcony is part of the cabin. This means it's very spacious, and has enough storage space for all our clothes we've brought with us for the 5 weeks. The dressing table is over 6 feet long, so we've got lots of room to place all the bits and pieces that we've accumulated, and still plenty of room for me to sit here and type this report.

There's only one small problem with our cabin - the toilet flush is a bit eccentric. Sometimes it whines before it sucks! But I've found that, if you press the button firmly and let it know who's boss, it behaves perfectly!

There's a party sailaway at 4.30pm, but I probably won't bother with this one. I always think the sailaway parties should be led by the cruise director, or should I say entertainment manager. However, our entertainment manager for this cruise is not one of the 'hands on' ones.

I'm not sure if we even have a captain at the moment. We were supposed to get our new one yesterday. But there was no sailaway announcement last night, and the deputy captain made the welcome to Tortola announcement. There's a rumour that the new captains plane was delayed...... But you know what the on board rumour mill can be like!
Gill

Return to “Oceana Cruise Reports”