Sue Kersh - 50 nights in heaven (onboard Oriana)

Reports about cruises on Oriana

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Re: Sue Kersh - 50 nights in heaven (onboard Oriana)

Post by Dennis The Menace »

Afternoon all, more from Sue :

Gibraltar

We docked early morning and I watched the lights on the Rock come into view whilst in the gym. After a quick shower and breakfast we were off the ship and in the Royal Calpe by 9 am. Great free WiFi and the coffee wasn't too bad either. Too chilly to sit in the garden but the sun was out and hot weather was forecast for later in the day which bodes well for the great British Sailaway.

We noticed as we went through the disembarkation hall a new addition to the terminal in the form of a small Duty Free shop. Lots of pax taking photos of the prices of booze, as on board they promise to price match. The cost of a litre of Larios Gin at the duty free was £5 whereas on board it is £9. Gordon's gin was £7 and on board £10. The perfume I checked the price of was also much cheaper. The crew had time to get off during their break to stock up without going into the town.

As it was Sunday and only a 4 hour call here most of the shops remained closed except for the perfume, liquor and touristy shops. Once back on ship I secured my sunbed in the sun ready for the great British Sailaway Party. One of the best Sailaways, the entertainment team were out in force as were the ships senior officers. A great atmosphere. There was a Costa ship next to us who were not too impressed when we played 'shut uppa your face ' very loudly. Not many Italians were waving back at us.

As we left the shelter of the island the wind was very strong with drinks flying all over the place along with unattended towels and the Union Jack flags. The forecast for the journey back to Southampton is no where near as good as our sail down 2 weeks ago. It sounds like we are going to have a bumpy ride.

We went down to dinner at our usual time and in the past have had to take a bleeper for a table for 2. To our surprise there were plenty of tables empty and then we realised it was the MU v Everton match which didn't finish until after 7 pm ships time.

A great choice of entertainment was lined up for the evening, with the crew show in the Pacific lounge, the orchestra playing Jazz in the Crows Nest, Headliners performing Destination Dance in the Theatre and dancing in Harlequins.

The crew show was extremely funny even though we have seen it many times before. We then had a quick sprint to the theatre to see Destination Dance before finishing the night in the Crows Nest listening to the Orchestra who unfortunately was missing their bass player due to illness.

Cocktail of the day Pina Colada.

Jean W
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by Jean W »

Thanks Sue for your lovely reports. We may meet up as we are ready for the off to join Oriana on Wednesday :thumbup:

cruise kitten
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruise kitten »

Hope you don't mind me commenting, but I'm totally new to cruising and we have hopefully booked our first cruise [will be confirmed on the 8th] and you reports are filling me with joy.
I know we won't be on the Oriana [we are on Azura] but to see the range of different options is brilliant.
Thank you and it sounds as though you are having a fab time and I will look forward to reading more of your adventures.
Sandra

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

I've enjoyed reading your posts! You give lots of information about the ports and things to do on board ship keep up the good work:)

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Afternoon all. More updates from Sue :

Sea Day en route to Southampton.

A very bumpy sail last night as forecast correctly by Captain Pembridge.

I woke up a few times as glasses were rattling in the cabin and the ship was creaking.

I attended the last early morning exercise class of this cruise in the gym this morning. Not sure why there isn't one tomorrow as it is a sea day. It was still very dark and as dawn arrived it was dank and wet. The morning continued much the same although the sky lightened the rain and drizzle continued.

There was a bin end sale of various wines in Tiffanys and we found one of our old favourites there. Apparently they still have a few bottles left on ship and even though it is not on the wine list we can still order it from our wine waiter. We will probably finish their stock off by the end of the next cruise.

It is very close in the Battle of the sexes and the ladies are still in the lead but only 5 points. The men are very noisy and challenging every point. It is supposed to be a fun pre lunch quiz but it has become a bore.

During lunch the sun finally made its way through the clouds but it was still far too windy to be on deck. Lots going on around the ship including the Oriana Vocalists performing in the theatre accompanied by the Musical Director Ashley who is the most energetic musical director we have come across. She is quite young and possibly Canadian it is hard to pin point her accent. She gets very involved in the acts she is accompanying and the audience just love her.

Chocoholics Buffet for afternoon tea was in the Oriental restaurant but I gave this miss.

We had been invited to the 8pm Penisular Cocktail Party so decided on an early dinner before the party. It was a Marco Menu with Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska, our last formal night of this cruise and the parade of the chefs. Another excellent dinner served by our favourite waiter who unfortunately is moving into the Club dining restaurant for our next cruise.

The Peninsular Cocktail Party in the Pacific Lounge was one of 4 held. 2 in the Crows Nest and 2 in the Pacific lounge which shows how many regular cruisers choose this ship. We were well looked after and the champagne flowed well in my direction.

After the party we made our way to Harlequins for the Black and white Ball before heading off to see the late show in the Theatre. I really wanted to hear Suzanne Godfrey playing the flute as the reviews were outstanding. Unfortunately the theatre is at the very front of the ship and after being sat down for only a few minutes I began to feel the motion of the Ocean (I don't think the wine with dinner followed by champagne at the party helped) and I had to leave before the show started.

The passenger talent show was in the Pacific Lounge, a young girl who will be 21 on Wednesday 6 th April which is the same day that Oriana also becomes 21, performed a poem she had written about her 21 st birthday cruise.

Cocktail of the day Martini Royale.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Last day of this cruise.

It's a great feeling to wake up on the last sea day knowing that you don't have to spend the day packing. The laundry was quiet and my butler took advantage and got the washing up to date and sent his formal shirts to the ships laundry.

The BOB behaved for us again and the sun shone all day although not warm enough to sit out.

The Ladies were victorious in the Battle of the Sexes. Very close with both teams tying after the general knowledge section. The final section was 2 questions each. The ladies got both of theirs correct and stole one of the men's questions.

Final dinner of the cruise and for the first time I was disappointed in my choice of the Seafood pot. The fish was overcooked and dry. I could have sent it back to be exchanged but decided I had eaten enough vegetables and with the canapés I had devoured in Andersons , that I wouldn't starve.

The waiters in the Freedom dining restaurant are all moving to the Club Dining restaurant for the next cruise so we will have a new set of waiters.

After dinner it was the Headliners show We will meet again in the theatre followed by Bernie Flints second show which was in the Pacific Lounge. Standing Room only for both shows.

Bernie Flints show ran on by over ¼ hour. He was very funny and entertaining.

A really great cruise with weather far better than we had expected for this time of year. The crew on Oriana are so friendly and it is such an easy ship to get around as it flows really well with wide passageways and large public rooms.

Cocktail of the Day Singapore Sling.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Really good to read all this Sue and Dennis - thanks for sharing. We haven't been on Oriana for a number of years so we are really looking forward to meeting up with her again at Christmas

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Sounds like a very pleasant cruise.

I'm looking forward to the next one, as it's more or less the same itinerary we've just done on Oceana
Gill

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

Well done Sue and DTM,
I have enjoyed reading your posts very much seems to have been a good cruise with plenty to do:)

poole boy
Senior Second Officer
Senior Second Officer

Post by poole boy »

really enjoyed your cruise report sue made us both look forward to going on Oriana again in September
graham

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

If anyone wishes to follow Sue and Garry's travels the reports can be found on the other site the CN.
It seems that DTM is away so another kind person is tendering the reports.

Lindsey

Gill W
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Gill W »

Thank you, I wondered what had happened.

I noticed from the webcam they were in New Orleans today
Gill

cruise kitten
Cadet
Cadet

Post by cruise kitten »

Whynd1 wrote:
If anyone wishes to follow Sue and Garry's travels the reports can be found on the other site the CN.

Lindsey
Forgive my ignorance, but I have been enjoying the posts, so can you enlighten me what the other site is please.

Whynd1
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Whynd1 »

Cruise kitten, I have see my you a pm with the web site details.

Lindsey

Happydays
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Happydays »

cruise kitten wrote:
Whynd1 wrote:

Lindsey
Forgive my ignorance, but I have been enjoying the posts, so can you enlighten me what the other site is please.
Help required here! I don't know what/where it is.... This is the only site I use...

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

Hi all in New Orleans. Had 2 fabulous days here. DTM returns today so hopefully he will take up tendering duties again.
I have saved the reports so will send them on my return. Just love the vibrancy of this city.

Jan Rosser
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Jan Rosser »

Suekersh wrote:
Hi all in New Orleans. Had 2 fabulous days here. DTM returns today so hopefully he will take up tendering duties again.
I have saved the reports so will send them on my return. Just love the vibrancy of this city.
I loved New Orleans too Sue - definitely one of my favourite places :thumbup:
Janis

Suekersh
First Officer
First Officer

Post by Suekersh »

We were in Key West after New Orleans then yesterday in Fort Lauderdale. Today we are in Port Canaveral and are in cocoa Beach a village. Beautiful place very quaint. Lovely park and waterfront. Just watched local school children dancing round the Maypole to English Country Garden. Having a fabulous cruise.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

Afternoon all, apologies for the delay but I'll endeavour to bring you up to date now with the second of Sue's back to backs :) ;

Day One Entry: 6 Apr 2016

A drizzly day welcomed back to the UK. We had an early breakfast as we wanted to disembark before general disembarkation started.

We saw Bernie Flint at the taxi stand who was not impressed at being up and about at such an early time. We called at the hotel where our car is parked, checked everything was okay, dropped off the duty free we had purchased, then headed into the West Quay shopping Centre got the free Wi Fi and a look round the shops. Next stop was Asda to stock up on cabin essentials mainly Schweppes Tonic and Coke Zero but the list grew as we wandered around the aisles searching for Schweppes Tonic in small cans. We asked an Asda Shelf stacker who looked at us as if we had come from another planet and took us to bottles of Asda own tonic. We eventually found a bottle of Schweppes tonic but far too large and the fizz would go out of it before it can be all be used. Luckily we stocked up on tonic a few ports ago and still have enough left to last until we reach Madeira. We also couldn't find Roses lime cordial. With hindsight we would have been better heading for Waitrose.

Loaded up we headed back to the ship in time for the priority lunch. According to the restaurant manager there are over 650 passengers boarding entitled to this perk so they are using the restaurant and the Pacific Lounge. The lunch was very enjoyable and the champagne flowed freely.

It was Orianas 21st birthday and a party was held on the aft deck in the sunshine as we were sailing away to celebrate the occasion. It was very low key and almost as though it had been forgotten about by the powers that be.

At the start of the last cruise we had purchased an Internet package and part way through the manager was doing a 2 for 1 package. Once we had checked we could carry it forward to this cruise we purchased it. I was horrified to find that once this cruise started I had no minutes left and couldn't access the Internet. We went to see the Internet manager who had left the ship and the whole Internet system had been changed and the records from the last system lost. The IT staff on board to implement the new system agreed to honour what the old manager had told me and although we had no record of how many minutes we had left he awarded us the figure we guesstimated. The old librarian is now the Internet manager. Eventually all the packages will change and for £7 a day for the basic package there will be unlimited time access but there will be a higher charge for downloading and streaming.

We ate early as we wanted to make the 8:30 show as Tom O'Connor was performing in the theatre. Tom performed 21 years ago on The first night of Orianas Maiden Cruise. The theatre was full to bursting and it was an excellent professional show. His timing was perfect and although showing his age, his wit and performance was as brilliant as ever. A true showman unlike so many of the young comedians who rely on swearing and blue jokes to get a laugh from the audience.

In the Pacific Lounge the entertainment staff were hosting a truth or lies style game show called Liar Liar and there was dancing in Harlequins followed by the disco.

Cocktail of the day Strawberry Daiquiri.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

0 Thumbs Up!
Re: Sue Kersh, 52 nights in heaven/onboard Oriana
7 Apr 2016 - 1st Sea Day to Madeira

It was quite a bumpy night as Oriana has to sail at full pace as we have only 2 sea days until we dock in Madeira on Saturday morning. Generally it is 3 days sailing but because of the amazing flower festival being held on Sunday everything would be closed. On Saturday it is the children's flower festival and we are looking forward to seeing the displays.

I was in the gym for 7 am and more passengers attended the sessions than on the last cruise.

After breakfast I tried the Internet out and as promised it was much much quicker than previously.

At 11:15 Guest Speaker Chris Walker was in the Theatre recounting the true story of Glen Miller.

After lunch I went to Andersons to meet fellow passengers who post on the various cruise forums and it was lovely to put faces to names. Hopefully we will have another meeting soon.

At 2 pm I attended the dancercise class in Harlequins with Tara one of the Ents team. She certainly put us through our paces and I surely must have burnt a few calories off. Very enjoyable excercise.

No Battle of the Sexes at Noon as it has been changed to 15:15 which clashed with a talk in the theatre by Anne Widdecombe. There was an earlier talk at 2 pm by John Chapman who described why Bletchley Park was chosen for the Government Code and Cypher school.
The majority of Passengers listening to this stayed on for the Ann Widdecombe talk and the theatre was full to capacity and then some.

I went to the Battle of the sexes where the result is still undecided. Adam the Ents officer thinks that the ladies won by 5 points but the men are adamant that it was a draw. My figures agree with the men's. I doubt that I will be attending very often as 3:15 is not a convenient time.

The headliners performed Killer Queen in the Pacific Lounge and Rietta Austin was singing in the Theatre Royal. Rietta is one of Strictly Come Dancing singers and I really wanted to go and hear her but the theatre is at the very front where the motion of the ocean is at its worst. I will definitely see her second show.

We had a very early night as even walking around the ship was uncomfortable and the only place I felt stable was in bed.

Cocktail of the Day Original Singapore Sling.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

0 Thumbs Up!
8 Apr 2016 - Sea Day before Madeira

Another bumpy night and I awoke at 3 am and took another sea sickness tablet which did the trick and I then slept through until just after 6 am and woke feeling fine and ready for the stretch class in the gym at 7 am. Last cruise there were generally 6 of us in the class but this cruise there are about 20 early birds. After the stretch class it was ½ hour of circuit training which although sounds painful it was actually good fun.

Garry and I passed in the passageway on deck 8. Me heading back to the cabin for a shower and breakfast and him coming from breakfast and heading for the Spa. Like ships that pass in the night.

We both attended our first ever Bridge for beginners class. Garry is a natural card player and picked it up easily. I on the other hand although I always enjoy playing cards came away more confused than when I entered the room. Not sure how long we will continue with these classes as when the sun gets warmer I will want to be outside.

Chris Walker gave a morning talk called The Benny Goodman story about his rise from the slums of Chicago, through the prohibition era to his international stardom as King Of Swing.

We lunched in Al Fresco but the weather although dry and sunny wasn't warm enough to eat outside. It was better than the buffet but I still prefer the main dining room.

At the noon announcement the Captain told us that we would be later than planned docking in Madeira due to the rough weather and the need for a fast sailing in the 2 days. Instead of arriving at 9 am it would be 10:30 ish depending on how much time he could make up now the weather had improved. The good news was that the sailing after Madeira would be good and sunny weather is predicted.

Tom O'Connor did a book signing at noon for anyone who had purchased one of his books.

There is so much entertainment on this ship that often events clash and it is impossible to attend everything.

Adam the Ents officer does a daily iPad class and as I am okay with the basics and probably even intermediate I keep a look out as to where he is up to so that I can attend future classes as he gets more advanced.

After lunch I went to Harlequins for the 1st Charleston with Ents officer Donna. A great fun class and a workout too. From there I went a few yards further up deck 7 to the Lords Tavern for the Battle of the Sexes. The score from yesterday was a draw but today the ladies won and are now 15 points in the lead.

At the same time as the Charleston Class John Chapman gave his second lecture on Code Breaking, followed by an audience Ann Widdecombe called Strictly Ann. Reports that this again was standing room only with very rude passengers going into the theatre half way through John Chapmans talk and disturbing other pax by taking seats in the middle of rows rather than waiting for his talk to end.

Lobster was on the menu for dinner as it was the 1st of the Marco menus and my favourite port marinated cheese to finish.

It was the Captains Welcome Aboard party and our 1st formal night of this cruise. The majority of pax adhered to the dress code but there are always some who don't and they stuck out like a sore thumb especially the guy in a baseball cap worn back to front at the formal night ball.
We met the new dance instructors and hosts Roanna and Goran. We are not too impressed at the moment but perhaps they will improve as the cruise goes on. They do not know any sequence dances and are amazed that when they play a samba only a couple of people get up to dance but when they play a sequence the floor is full. They do not appear to be dancing with passengers unless the passenger asks them, they do however spend a lot of time dancing together. I think Mikey will be getting a few complaints from the dancers on board as there are a lot of them and a lot of single ladies.

Tom O'Connor was absolutely brilliant once again and he had the audience crying with laughter. I have no idea how he remembers all of his one liners and he was on for longer than the allocated 45 minutes. Tom disembarks tomorrow when we reach Madeira.

Cocktail of the day Long Beach Iced Tea.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

9 April 2016 - Madeira

It was still dark at 7 am and no view from the gym until the session had almost finished at 8 am. The 7:30 class was called sit and be fit and is aimed at less mobile passengers who want some exercise. No one turned up for this class so the gym instructor put on a different class suited to those of us there.

The scenery for the sail in was stunning. We don't usually get this view of the island sailing in as we normally dock early. It was very picturesque and so green and fertile.

We finally docked at 10am and it was a warm sunny Madeira that greeted us. We had an extended stay here and we didn't have to back on board until 10pm.

We caught the free shuttle bus into town (£4 each way charge for non select fare pax) which dropped us close to the large shopping mall where there were comfy seats and fast free wifi. We caught up with e mails from family and friends as well as face timing our granddaughters.

It is a short walk into town and today because of the flower festival being on there was a lot to see. Carpets of flowers everywhere. Young girls dressed up as flower girls, lots of craft stalls around as well. The place was buzzing and the sun was very hot. We walked until we dropped and then made our way to the supermarket where my prayers were answered and there were still cans of Schweppes tonic left. Loaded up with the tonic and bottles of Coke Zero as well as other shopping we got a taxi back to the ship as we couldn't face the walk back to the shuttle stop through the crowds and in the hot sun.

After a late lunch in Al Frescos I sat up on the aft deck and lazed in the sun. The views of Madeira from the ship were fantastic. The sun was so hot that I decided to cool off in the pool but even that was like getting into a warm bath. The clouds came over whilst I was in the pool so I delayed getting out hoping the sun would return but after ½ hour of swimming and no sign of the sun coming back I gave up and went for a siesta.

There was a lot of different entertainment on during the evening including classical vocalist Will Martin in the theatre, a game show similar to The Chase but renamed The Pursuit, dance Instructors hosted the Ball in Harlequins where the Oriana trio were playing, and the Paul James trio were in the Crows Nest. We did visit the Crows Nest but I had forgotten my wrap as the ship is so hot but the Crows Nest was like a fridge.

We opted for a quiet drink in Andersons with a view across Madeira.

We departed at around 22:45 with the Captain announcing some rolling motion during the night due to the swell but that we would outrun the storm brewing and it wouldn't catch up with us.

Cocktail of the Day Pina Colada.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

1 Thumbs Up!
10 April 2016 - 1st of 6 Sea Days to St Maarten

It was once again still dark at 7am in the gym. I was hoping that we would have put the hour back so that it would have been lighter. I think we have to lose 5 hours between now and St Maarten as it is usually a 4 hour time difference between GMT and the Caribbean.

After the gym sessions I went to breakfast as the sun had still not made an appearance and the special of the day was scrambled egg and smoked salmon. Yum yum.

It was the Dancercise class again after lunch with Tara. Another fun class where the time passes so quickly and a great work out.

The Battle of the Sexes had been put back to 15:30 because there was the Leicester v Sunderland match showing in the Lords Tavern. Only ½ hour was allowed for quiz as another match MU v Spurs was due to start at 16:00. The ladies lost their advantage and the men are now in the lead by 5 points. A lot of sport questions today but lots of time to catch up 5 points.

We ate later than usual and missed the 8:30pm show which was a Headliners production called Stage Door in the theatre. Peter Fisher a violinist was in the Pacific Lounge. We went dancing in Harlequins but the Oriana Trio still haven't got the hang of strict tempo and the dance instructors are useless hosts. All they are interested in is dancing together. They are not interacting with the passengers at all and the girl is getting the nickname of Frosty Knickers. The dancing finished at 11 pm to make way for the disco.

As we walked past the Lords Tavern on our way back to our cabin the Interactive Horse Racing Night was very busy. If the dancing doesn't improve soon we will have to find alternative entertainment.

Cocktail of the Day Brodie's Bombay Cooler.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

11 April 2016 - 2nd of 6 sea days to St Maarten

The clock went back 1 hour at 2 am this morning so I had an extra hour in bed before heading for the stretch class in the gym followed by circuit training with David. It was a hard work out this morning and one of the passengers actually commented on David's Masochistic smile when he was holding us in the squat position and counting the time down very slowly. I think I will ache tomorrow.

The temperature is increasing as we sail further towards the Caribbean but it is still quite cloudy with patches of blue sky and very windy on the open decks.

We went to the theatre to watch the port presentation on Progreso which is a Mexican Port in the Yucatan Peninsular and a new port of call for us. The main attractions appear to be the old pyramids and temples like Chichen Itza but as we have visited these from Cozumel and Costa Maya we were more interested in what there was to see and do in the town of Progreso. A very interesting presentation but we are still undecided on how to spend the day.

I had a look out on deck and a few brave people were determined to get the sun but the wind was strong and still too cold for me.

After lunch I went to the Charleston Class which was great fun and some exercise to work off my lunch, then to Battle of the sexes where after the first part the men were thrashing the ladies but we caught up a lot during the charade round but still losing by 15 points overall.

I had another look outside on the aft deck and did manage to sit out in the sun for a short time but it was still a cool wind although I felt the promise of more heat tomorrow.

I got a bargain in the shops. They had an offer on the GHD Gold Max Hair straighteners for £89 which included a free carry case and heat mat and a free gift apparently worth £30 which was a paddle brush and a heat protection styling spray. With our 10% off as well just over £80 for a GHD seemed a good deal to me.

After dinner we went to see the Paul James group with Laura Adams singing the Diva greats in the Pacific Lounge. Shirley Bassey, Witney Houston, Ella Fitzgerald and many more. She was brilliant and we will be seeing her again.

At the front was another vocalist Glen Macnamara a Swing Singer. We didn't see this show as we got chatting and stayed in the dancing. The horizon showed that the dance instructors were hosting the evening but it turned out it was a mistake and it was their night off. That left us in the hands of the Canadian group the Oriana Trio who although are improving slightly with their dance tempo they still go off on a tangent when they get bored and want to jazz it up a bit. When they went on a break Adam one of the Ents team played some music from his I pad. He wanted to play a Barn Dance but when he heard the groans from the dancers he changed his mind. At least he was listening to his audience.

We are still being spoilt for choice for the entertainment and activities on this ship. The entertainment team continue to impress with their dedication and professionalism. It is hard to believe the differences between the team on Oriana now compared to the team on our Arcadia cruise at Christmas which was very disappointing. Friends on Arcadia at present tell us that although changes to the team have been made the entertainment is still not good.

Cocktail of the Day Chocolate Banana.

Topic author
Dennis The Menace
First Officer
First Officer

12 April 2016 - 3rd of 6 sea Days to St Maarten

The hour was put back again this morning putting us 2 hours behind the UK time and finally it was light at 7am. The exercise class was far busier than normal with the hour changing and there was a shortage of floor mats.

By the time I returned to the cabin at 8am the sun was fully out and yes it was 19 degrees. After a quick shower and a light breakfast I set up on the aft deck for the morning. It was lovely, a gentle sea breeze and a virtual cloudless sky. My butler waited on me all day bringing out drinks and ordering lunch. I gave up my sun bed at 2pm as I felt that 5½ hours in the hot sun was probably sufficient.

During the morning there was an announcement from the bridge that a family of whales were playing on the starboard. Everyone got off their sun beds and dashed to the starboard side. I think the ship lurching towards starboard with the weight of the pax probably frightened them off as we didn't see anything.

Battle of the Sexes was very different today. A few members of the team including our Captain had been at the first Baltic/Ligurian lunch and were well inebriated. The ladies were 10 points behind at the start of the day but finished 20 points in front by the end. We even stole a football question off the men.

It was the second Formal night of this cruise but not a Marco Menu so no port marinated Stilton cheese. We were taken by surprise as we went down to the restaurant at 6:30 to get a bleeper to eat at around 7:15 but there was a table available so we had to take it. Generally even arriving at 6:15 they are giving bleepers out for tables for two. We had intended to have pre dinner drinks sat in the evening sun.

Some very sunburnt bodies around the ship. It was the first really good day for full on sunbathing but we still have 4 weeks left of this cruise so why pax feel the need to stay out and end up looking like well done lobsters is beyond me.

There was a formal night ball in Harlequins and this time to the Paul James band and Laura Adams. A much better dance band than the Oriana Trio and even the dance hosts have found a bit of personality and actually hosted the night and danced with passengers. I think our Ents Manager has had a quiet word in their ear.

Cocktail of the Day Blue Lagoon

Return to “Oriana Cruise Reports”