Questions from those who are new to cruising

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Re: Tips

Post by towny44 »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 03 May 2017, 19:32
So P&O are better after all! :thumbup:
Yes if you only consider the shareholding benefits.
As for the rest I will just have to put up with P&O's inferior customer service on our Med cruise next weekend, and hope I can survive for 14 nights by only been partly pampered. :sarcasm:
John

Trainee Pensioner since 2000

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

At least you can have a good whinge and then go for compo afterwards !

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mervyn and Trish »

He doth protestest too much. Loves 'em really.

Look at the evidence. Cruises on 'em more often than Calamity. Even goes back to the ships he hates. And has shares!

At least I'm consistent in my attitude to Calamity!

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

I'm Quite happy to stay with P&O, Blue light card booking discount (on top of other Discounts.) Military Benefits and Shareholder, whats not to like.?
Mel

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Quite. Some of us (who shall remain nameless of 'Uddersfield) just like a good moan now and then !

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

Its being so cantankerous that keeps me happy.
John

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

My ideal cruise companion !!

brixhamrfc
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

Post by brixhamrfc »

Just booked to go on Oriana next year, and the tips are £6 per person per day, which is £228 for the cruise for the 2 of us......seems like a lot to me, BUT I am a newbie, and should not pre-judge.....I'm simply not used to those numbers !

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Now you've done it. :)

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

That's less than most other cruise lines. But yes can be a shock to a newbie because it doesn't happen on other types of holiday. But when you're on your tenth cruise you'll be used to it!

towny44
Deputy Captain
Deputy Captain

Post by towny44 »

We could try to explain why its best just to pay up and smile, but none of us really know why, and we would just confuse you. But its a bit like paddling in the north sea, the first time you think your feet will fall off, but after a while you get used to it. :moresarcasm: :lol:
John

screwy
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by screwy »

Mervyn and Trish wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 08:05
That's less than most other cruise lines. But yes can be a shock to a newbie because it doesn't happen on other types of holiday. But when you're on your tenth cruise you'll be used to it!
And Broke..!!
Mel

CaroleF
First Officer
First Officer

Post by CaroleF »

Just worked out ours for our forthcoming long cruise - total of £780! Yes we'll leave the auto tips on. Our choice to take such a long cruise so we factored it in when we worked out the cost. Even so, it's still a shock when you first calculate it. Still I don't see why the staff should suffer just because it's a long cruise. Good job we got some decent OBC.

Carole

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

I think that's the issue for newbies Carole. We old hands factor it in as we expect it as part of the cost.

Someone not knowing how it works, sees a headline bill and doesn't expect another cost on top. That probably results in a lot of auto tips being removed and the cost escalating steadily for the rest.

Another reason to ditch the system and put in into the cost so it is transparent and everyone pays up.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

It happens on Riverboats and Coaching Tours, in our experience both were virtually double that of P&O ... ditto Celebrity.
Keep smiling, it's good for your well being

gilly88
Second Officer
Second Officer

Post by gilly88 »

brixhamrfc: yes it is a lot of money to find, hopefully you will have a bit of time to adjust to the bill before the cruise. it is worthwhile leaving the auto tips on though, and then its one less thing to panic you on your first time at sea. sometimes, with some on board credit on the booking, the tips are covered by that. feel for us as we have to pay 4 lots of tips when we go!!!unfortunately our "boys" do not see this as their problem :wtf: :wtf:
regards gilly.

Mervyn and Trish
Commodore
Commodore

Manoverboard wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 14:55
It happens on Riverboats and Coaching Tours, in our experience both were virtually double that of P&O ... ditto Celebrity.
Sorry, should have said most other holidays. However we've never done a coach holiday (how good are the stewards and waiters?) and on our river cruise tips were included in the price.
Last edited by Mervyn and Trish on 10 Nov 2017, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

On upmarket Coaching Tours, like wot we did do, they have a Tour Director and a Driver what requires tips at the end of the tour. The Operator makes recommendations for the amounts involved. Gratuities for porterage, waiters and tweenie maids etc are included in the overall price of the tour.

Either way tips are a deffo requirement regardless of how they are collected, bar the tight wads of course.

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

That's me. :wave:

What are you paying for? Extra for someone that is already being paid to do the job they are employed to do.

Mugs.

I'm not boing to get into any arguments over it as I've heard it all before. If you want to tip, do, if you don't want to then don't. End of.
Last edited by Stephen on 11 Nov 2017, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

Manoverboard
Ex Team Member

Post by Manoverboard »

I believe you .... but yer Missus, Gord bless er soul, has a much more generous nature :lol:

:wave:

Ray B
Senior First Officer
Senior First Officer

Post by Ray B »

cruise kitten wrote: 17 Apr 2016, 18:51
Back with another first timer silly question.

I would hate to think that I should have tipped our cabin steward, but because the brochure implies that this is covered, we didn't.

I know tipping can be an emotive subject, but we are in the camp that we like to do the norm unless we have received bad service.

Thanks.
If you had a bad experience, say something to your waiter, say it to a manager, but don't say it with your money.
Don't worry, be happy

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Manoverboard wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 14:53
I believe you .... but yer Missus, Gord bless er soul, has a much more generous nature :lol:

:wave:
You're right there Moby old bean :D

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

Stephen wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 08:06
That's me. :wave:

What are you paying for? Extra for someone that is already being paid to do the job they are employed to do.

Mugs.

I'm not boing to get into any arguments over it as I've heard it all before. If you want to tip, do, if you don't want to then don't. End of.
Just one question that has been on my mind, dearie, do you leave a tip when you eat in a restaurant in the UK ?

Stephen
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Stephen »

Don't stress about it.
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Nov 2017, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

qbman1
Captain
Captain

Post by qbman1 »

I'll take that as a "no" then ?!

Return to “New to Cruising”